Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 2:13:15 PM EDT
I am looking for opinions on the variations of hammer (Brass/Nylon) etc. Brands vs quality vs cost.

links welcome.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Just buy whatever you want from Brownell's and you'll get the best quality/price.  The hammers they sell are specifically made for gunsmithing.

Other than that, you can go to any better hardware store and buy good quality nylon hammers.
Brass hammers are harder to find, so that's why you go to Brownell's.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Make your own
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you hammering?
A FSB on an AR might take a differant hammer than a FCG
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You will end up needing several of each type.

I keep two different sized brass hammers and three different sized Nylon hammers at my desk.

I also have a leather hammer, ball peen hammer and a deadblow hammer that occasionally get used.

As was mentioned earlier, check out Brownells selection of hammers: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/hammers/index.htm

If your just starting out you can find nice mid-sized hammer that has both a brass and Nylon face.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top