Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:57:06 AM EDT
Giving some thought to threading a Remington 700 for a muzzle brake but given that I have not previously attempted this process I'd love to get my hands on a some barrels to practice with.   I have not had much success finding a source for something like that online.  Are there sources out there anyone knows of.    I'm really hesitant to learn on my nice new 700 XCR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not really different than putting threads on another piece of steel.

If you want to practice, drill and ream a hole in piece of round stock, then take it out of the lathe.
Put it back in the lathe, but this time indicate it in off the reamed hole.

Cut your threads. Crown it.

You're done. Ready to have a go at your 700.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not really different than putting threads on another piece of steel.

If you want to practice, drill and ream a hole in piece of round stock, then take it out of the lathe.
Put it back in the lathe, but this time indicate it in off the reamed hole.

Cut your threads. Crown it.

You're done. Ready to have a go at your 700.
View Quote

This, but I'd suggest brass if you haven't done much threading. Easiest metal to work with EVER.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Hit your local gun smith up . Last time at ours he had hundreds of take offs and more stubs from cut offs.  
What lathe did you go with Ive been looking for one to get started.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hit your local gun smith up . Last time at ours he had hundreds of take offs and more stubs from cut offs.  
What lathe did you go with Ive been looking for one to get started.
View Quote

It's the lathe I have and I have not yet determined that it's even up to the task.   Grizzly 10x22.   It was not purchased with the intent to gunsmith really but some folks indicate it has worked for them.  I did replace the rear spindle nut with my own nut that includes holes for spider bolts.   My rifle arrives this week but if the barrel is too fat for the small spindle bore on the 10x22 then it's a no go anyway.   I have done threading on several jobs, but never with the additional pucker factor of potentially buggering up a $1000.00 rifle  ;)

I am most concerned with how to indicate in on the bore since the lands and grooves would seem to make that difficult and I know the outside of the barrel is seldom concentric enough to work from.

Good thought on the gunsmith route.   I'll see if they have any.   The challenge is that few barrels are straight tubes, they are tapered and such so I'm curious to run through doing a few well enough that I'd feel confident working on the real thing.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a gage pin to get close and then indicate on the "highs" which would be the bore.
It does take some practice, it's a little weird at first.

I reccomend putting some tape on the indicator ball, too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This guy made his own rod if you dont have one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The EE always seem to have take off'' for sale.
Try there
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Piles of take off barrels on ebay
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:52:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

20 bucks plus shipping is common.  My 6.8 barrel started as a R700 270 barrel for less than 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also gunbroker
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, the term 'take off barrel' yields much better results!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top