BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 3:03:44 PM EDT
Is the unit of measure lb/in or lbs/ft?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
just straight pounds.
use a force gauge and pull the trigger with it... hopefully it records peak force.
you're done :-)
other units are Ounces... and then there's metric...
lb/in or lb/ft would be a spring rate.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pounds.

Unload your gun. Double check the gun.

Get a kitchen or mail scale, box, reloading bullets, and a hook that connects the loaded down box over the trigger. Keep adding bullets until you can just lift the box. Weigh the box, bullets and hook. You have an absolute reading on your trigger.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the replies, I meant to write unit of PRESSURE and not measure.

I am fully aware of how to calculate trigger pull with tools. I have several different styles and methods.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the unit of measure lb/in or lbs/ft?
View Quote

those are both torque, or rotational force. Triggers are stright pull, not torque.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The end result will be an actuator released trigger. (not for some uber cool machinegun turret system)
I am trying to size the required actuator.

I was going to use a car door lock actuator, I had laying around.
My plan was to slowly lower the power going into the actuator until it no longer released the sear and then measure that force.

I was, originally, going by this route.
5lb pull with an 1/8" rod gave me a contact patch of about 0.002" across a 0.2" trigger. This equates to ~12,500psi.
If you use the same 5lb pull with a finger, your contact patch increased, but not the required force.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with your notes.
I used 5lb as a arbitrary #.
Most of what you described, will be worked out in the mechanical's adaption.
The first design is a "block" that fits into and around the trigger guard (from one side) that will align the axis of movement.
The arch of the trigger shouldnt be an issue due to the location of the connector rod and its design.

As of now, everything is being designed around the door lock actuator.
It is larger, both in size and strength, than what is needed, but it's a starting point and easily adapted.
I hope to move towards a coil type actuator instead of a motor and gears.

This is my personal project so there is no timeframe.
I hope to adapt a video to the scope as well as a remote video on the target.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I measure trigger pull with a Wagner force gauge.
They are too expensive new, but I get them like new off Ebay when companies surplus them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top