Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 10:44:38 PM EDT
Somewhere along the way my Garand picked up a nick in the muzzle crown...not bad...but enough to affect accuracy....looking for info on how to deal with this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy an appropriate tool from Brownells and dial it in.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have done some beautiful touch ups with the old brass Screw and grinding compound.

Round head slotted screw, sized between the muzzle and the bore, some Clover or the like valve grinding compound. ( ebay or local auto parts store.)

Light nick or just roughness, use a milder abrasive 320 or so, if its a bigger nick, you might consider a more aggressive compound, 180 or 220.

Put a patched jag in from the other end, ready to push out the muzzle, just a half inch or so down the bore.

Glop the compound on the screw, and gently, at slow speed with a dremal or drill , grind, while moving the tool to constantly change the angle, rotating it around.

If you are already boogered, and considering renting or buying an expensive recrowning tool, or paying a gunsmith, you've got nothing to loose trying this.

I have used it on my Ruger Number One in 270, my 10/22, and a $99 M4 barrel that looked like the chrome was hanging out of the bore.

All three rifles shoot beautifully, the screw made a really nice, concentric bevel cut.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have done some beautiful touch ups with the old brass Screw and grinding compound.

Round head slotted screw, sized between the muzzle and the bore, some Clover or the like valve grinding compound. ( ebay or local auto parts store.)

Light nick or just roughness, use a milder abrasive 320 or so, if its a bigger nick, you might consider a more aggressive compound, 180 or 220.

Put a patched jag in from the other end, ready to push out the muzzle, just a half inch or so down the bore.

Glop the compound on the screw, and gently, at slow speed with a dremal or drill , grind, while moving the tool to constantly change the angle, rotating it around.

If you are already boogered, and considering renting or buying an expensive recrowning tool, or paying a gunsmith, you've got nothing to loose trying this.

I have used it on my Ruger Number One in 270, my 10/22, and a $99 M4 barrel that looked like the chrome was hanging out of the bore.

All three rifles shoot beautifully, the screw made a really nice, concentric bevel cut.
View Quote

I'll give this a try..Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah the brass screw from your local home improvement store and valve lapping compound does work. Might not be quite as pretty as a professional 11* target crown, but it'll do in a pinch, and costs 1/10 what your local gunsmith would.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Or if you would like I would consider renting out my 11* crowning tool and .299" pilot... PM me if you're interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top