Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 5:20:22 PM EDT
I looked up Pen Foster but everyone said it was just the beginner basics so i figure for the price thats a good starting point. What would be yalls best advise for someone with no gunsmithing experience to get started. I do reload so i have some basic knowledge of mechanics, just so you guys know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Get with an already established gunsmith from your area and apprentice for him/her.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out...Colorado School of Trades.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out...Colorado School of Trades.
View Quote

Uhmmmm, you can do better.
Trinidad
Lassen
Montgomery
Yavapai

CST used to be one of the highest rated Smithing schools in the nation.
Used to be.
They "reorganized" about 10 years ago and lost their best instructor. They haven't been the same since and are more interested in pushing students through than a quality education.
Just the other day I had one of their recent graduates try to convince me that hammer follow and subsequent slam fire of a 1911 was due to grease in the firing pin channel.
WTF?

Don't bother with a "correspondence course", you won't land a job with it and about all you will learn is hobbyist level work.

Apprentice(rare) or a brick and mortar school.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get with an already established gunsmith from your area and apprentice for him/her.
View Quote

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
let me do some clarifying. this is just for my own personal gain not going to become a gunsmith. i have a family so apprenticing is out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This but go with the old ones that been around forever not 50 or less. Many of the old ones continue to do the job because no one else took over and want to retire
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top