Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 3:38:11 PM EDT
Guys,

I got my hands on a old M1903 rebarreled, in the 90s (for legal reasons) to .300 Savage. Can I just ream the chamber with a 7.62NATO reamer, check the headspace and go with it ? I watched the drawings of the two cartridges and, except for the very slightly wider base of the .300 Savage, it looks possible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Guys,

View Quote

I got my hands on a old M1903 rebarreled, in the 90s (for legal reasons) to .300 Savage. Can I just ream the chamber with a 7.62NATO reamer, check the headspace and go with it ? I watched the drawings of the two cartridges and, except for the very slightly wider base of the .300 Savage, it looks possible.
Belgium forbids the ownership of .30-06?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Not in Belgium but France put prohibitive limitations on what was called "caliber of war" and hundreds of 1903, 1917 & Garand were rebarreled to odd cartridges such as .270, .300 Savage & .30-06CC (Cartry Court, a slightly shortened 30-06). This 1903 ended up in Belgium and was bought for a very interesting price
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not in Belgium but France put prohibitive limitations on what was called "caliber of war" and hundreds of 1903, 1917 & Garand were rebarreled to odd cartridges such as .270, .300 Savage & .30-06CC (Cartry Court, a slightly shortened 30-06). This 1903 ended up in Belgium and was bought for a very interesting price
View Quote

I would think think that it woukd be fine. The main issue is the magazine floornplate. I have an Israeli mauser that was converted to 7.62 NATO and it runs great. The magazine floor plate was redesigned to work with that round though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be done easily with a finish reamer. Although as a fan of the 300savage, I can't see much reason to do this unless you just want to fire factory FMJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top