Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 9:19:07 PM EDT
M48 mauser, only making contact on the top lug (the one w/ the ejector cut).  

Should i just lap it till the bottom lug makes contact, file the top lug down, get a new bolt?

Edit: It's just an action no barrel yet.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Since no one else is giving you an answer, I'll kick it off.

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with better advice.

You might try a little gentle lapping, but be aware, you are opening headspace. If your rifle is on the loose end of the tolerance, you could easily end up with too much headspace; an out of spec rifle.

You might get away with a couple thousandths. Might not. You would need a set of gauges to know where you are at.

Lapping is usually done during/prior to barreling, the bolt is lapped in, then the headspace is set after.

Fixes are : remove the barrel, lap the lugs in, set the barrel back one thread and ream to a good headspace.

Surplus rifles were often assembled with miss matched parts by simply trying bolts until one was found that would headspace with the action.

You could try a new bolt, but it would be a crapshoot that it would be an improvement.

Finally, if you reload....You can lap until you have full contact, even if you are out of spec, then set your sizing die to just bump the shoulder on your " fireformed" cases, which will have stretched to the new, longer chamber dimensions, creating a mini-wildcat, as it were.

But you must be very careful and know your business, continually resizing the cases to original size and firing them is a recipe for case failure, bad things can happen. In addition, it would be dangerous and unethical if the rifle could ever be sold or passed on in this condition, which would essentially in " No-go" headspace condition.

Best bet: pull the barrel, lap lugs, set back barrel, recut the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
A good source of info for things like this is the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual on the Mauser bolt action rifles.
It's available from Brownell's and goes into DEEP detail about subjects like this.

One major "watch out" is that too much lapping will break through the very thin case hardened surface of the locking lug and ruin the bolt, if not the receiver.
Kuhnhausen shows what that looks like with good pictures.

He also goes into detail about what to do and what not to do if you have a lug that doesn't make contact.
Much depends on how MUCH it's off.
This is money WELL spent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might try a little gentle lapping, but be aware, you are opening headspace. If your rifle is on the loose end of the tolerance, you could easily end up with too much headspace; an out of spec rifle.

You might get away with a couple thousandths. Might not. You would need a set of gauges to know where you are at.

Lapping is usually done during/prior to barreling, the bolt is lapped in, then the headspace is set after.

Fixes are : remove the barrel, lap the lugs in, set the barrel back one thread and ream to a good headspace.

Surplus rifles were often assembled with miss matched parts by simply trying bolts until one was found that would headspace with the action.

You could try a new bolt, but it would be a crapshoot that it would be an improvement.

Finally, if you reload....You can lap until you have full contact, even if you are out of spec, then set your sizing die to just bump the shoulder on your " fireformed" cases, which will have stretched to the new, longer chamber dimensions, creating a mini-wildcat, as it were.

But you must be very careful and know your business, continually resizing the cases to original size and firing them is a recipe for case failure, bad things can happen. In addition, it would be dangerous and unethical if the rifle could ever be sold or passed on in this condition, which would essentially in " No-go" headspace condition.

View Quote

Guess i should have mentioned that thre is no barrel on it so there is no headspace to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Guess i should have mentioned that thre is no barrel on it so there is no headspace to worry about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Useful information that is!

Got one of These?

My neighbor made me one that I used to lap the lugs, then clean up the bolt face.

Here's a link to my Mauser Build thread , you can read my learning curve and all the good advice I received here, plus photo's of the tool my neighbor turned on his lathe for lapping the lugs and facing the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the Brownells lapping tool. I just didn't want to spend all day lapping if that wasn't the best or correct way to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
The ONLY way I know of, hence, the tool.

I suppose you can turn them to within a thousandth or so on the lathe if you could get it set up properly, but I would still lap it in.

Are you getting at least partial contact on both lugs? Touching at some point?.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The ONLY way I know of, hence, the tool.

I suppose you can turn them to within a thousandth or so on the lathe if you could get it set up properly, but I would still lap it in.

Are you getting at least partial contact on both lugs? Touching at some point?.
View Quote
I went ahead and did it, and it wasn't as far off as I was afraid it was going to be.

It was only making contact with one lug.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wondering.
Did you remove the extractor?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Did you remove the extractor?
View Quote
yes, the bolt and action were completely stripped.

checked by painting the lugs with dykem and using the lapping tool for rearward pressure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take off barrels are a good source for lapping tools.  Cut a case that fits the chamber in two pieces, put a strong spring inside, put the assembly into the barrel stub, screw it all into the action with the bolt already in place, and you're in business.  The case head ought to fit the bolt face, and won't work if the case head is too large.

View Quote

That's a good tip.  Now I know what to do with at least one of the skinny 700 barrels I have.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Mauser bolts are very hard. You'll need a very low grit compound and lots of time if you plan on lapping it in by hand. I suggest the bolt holding fixture and turn it on a lathe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
They are hard.  The receiver is not.

Don't think I'd use a valve grinding compound from some auto store.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are hard.  The receiver is not.

Don't think I'd use a valve grinding compound from some auto store.  
View Quote

What would you use?

And why?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
A lapping compound from Brownells or Midway (Wheeler).  

Think they are designed more for firearms use.  I've used valve grinding compound in the past, it seemed, agressive to say the least.  The finish looked like
it'd been sand blasted.

The other two, not so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Clover comes in several grits, and it's not terribly aggressive.

Want to guess what you'll get from the tool crib at the gunsmithing school at Trinidad JSC?

View Quote

I'll bet, Clover.

Care to share what grits?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used Clover.  Even 320 grit is sufficient for this.  

I prefer diamond paste only because it's generally held in a thicker compound that stays in the work area longer with less used, and in my opinion works faster relative to grit size.  (Meaning 800 grit equivalent diamond paste cuts faster than 800 grit aluminum oxide or silicon carbide) but I don't have any data to support that.

It's so inexpensive now, and comes in nice color coded syringes, and you can use it to lap your carbide lathe tools if you have the need as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top