Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 12:05:02 PM EDT
My son shoots an AI in .260 Rem and recently had three pierced primers. I have been loading for him and we never had these issues. He told me that he had used our K&M hand primer with a dial indicator to seat the primers. I had abandoned that tool due to MY inability to get consistent results with it and have for the last year been using a turret press to install the primers at "flush" with zero issues.  I suspect he had some above flush primers due to that particular tool. At any rate I have ordered from Brownells  a small "protrusion measuring tool". Any advice on how to use this to help me diagnose the problem when we get together on Mon. I`m 300 miles from him.  In addition I have the procedure to adjust the protrusion length from AI. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's no need for a tool to measure primer seating, a finger swipe is sufficient to detect a high primer.  They do need to be seated at least two thousandths subflush for an autoloader, but a high primer may cause intermittent ignition when the firing pin strikes, then seats the primer using up enough energy that the primer doesn't fire.

Pierced primers are a good sign of pressure too high for the primer.  That could be from an overcharge, increased pressure from high ambient temps, bullets seated closer to the rifling without redoing the charge weight, or a different lot of gunpowder that is hotter than the last one.  The Alliant gunpowders are great, but they bear a close eye when a new jug is bought, especially Reloder 19 and 21, and I have experienced a lot of Reloder 15 that was significantly hotter than any previous batch, so much so that I had to completely redo my Highpower loads.

I think you have to quiz your son about other changes he has incorporated into the loads before you'll get much farther.  He needs to polish the end of the firing pin before proceeding, after just a couple more incidents of piercing and he'll have to replace the firing pin.

View Quote

Thanks,,,he`s running a moderate load of H 4350 (42.4gr) and I suspect he in fact has an bove flush primer issue. It`s a bolt gun obviously but I really can`t add anything `till I get to his place to strat digging in to the problem.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder if the firing pin has a shim for adjusting the protrusion.  I have no idea what AI uses, but I'll guess it's about 0.060 inches.

View Quote

There is a pair of set screws which allow you to rotate the pin in 180 degree increments resulting in a longer or shorter protrusion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a vague memory that it was adjustable but couldn't find anything in a quick search around the internet.
View Quote

We were able to adjust the protrusion length. All is well. My son got me on the gun after we did some range work and DING! I made my first ever 1000 yard shot. We had a great time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top