Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2014 2:34:52 PM EDT
hi guys.  i disassembled my savage 11, blasted, then cerakoted.  after reassembling and headspacing using gauges, it no longer grabs the round and extracts it.

a no go does not go and a go gauge goes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You took your bolt all the way apart?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Never disassembled the bolt.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull a bullet and see if it fires a primer
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming you CeraKoted the bolt. Is that the case?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
No. Bolt is factory finish. Otherwise I would assume that would be the problem.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you remove the barrel from the action? If so, when you screwed the barrel back in and checked the headspace did you remove the ejector and extractor from the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I did remove the barrel from the action. I did not remove the extractor or ejector when I checked headspace
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
So that likely means I have a headspace issue because I failed to remove those parts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you place the headspace gauge into the bolt (under the extractor) when you gauged the reassembly? Or did your drop the gauge into the chamber then close the bolt on it before you screwed the barrel fully into place?

If the later it’s very possible the headspace gauge was riding in front of the extractor or the ejector (which is under spring pressure) and gave you a false reading in the gauges. If that is the case the barrel could lack up to 1/8” of being screwed in far enough, that is why the extractor cannot engage the rim and pull the shell out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to disassemble the bolt and try the gauges again. I'm assuming when I do that, the no go will go and I'll have to disassemble and reassemble.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
At least take the ejector out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
hmaverick,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I did. I re headspaced. Made sure the lettering ended up in the same place. All is well now. Thanks for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top