Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2014 5:42:18 PM EDT
Hi all long time lurker.

I am starting a welding/ machinist program at a tech college next month and was wondering if you guys could recommend a mini milling machine that I can use to mill gun parts and other misc things for school. I am on a limited budget here ($1500 max). Now this is not required for school but I would like to work on stuff as the next two year progress.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Grizzly G0704 is a good option, if you want something you can keep and grow with but isn't too big.  Keep in mind no tooling comes with it:  http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704

Little Machine Shop has a comparison chart of the mini mills they sell compared to other brands/models: http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/minimill_compare.php

ETA:  You can also find pretty good deals on Craigslist if you search enough
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Millrite.
It's a real mill and about 2/3 of a full size Bridgeport but ideal for guns.
I was down your road and took the advice of another member.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been very pleased with the Harbor Freight mini-mill only $430 with 25% off coupon.
Don't forget your going to need a bunch of accessories to going with any mill you decide to buy. Not cheap and add up quickly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you will find a small used machine from one of the better makers will be much more usefull than a chinese mini mill. check craigslist for the small bridgeports (harder to come by than most and command a premium) mini rockwell (I bought one for $500 once) or a linley. old american stuff is leaps and bounds better than new chinese stuff.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a LMS HiTorque and while its been great, if I had to do it over, I think I'd opt for the Grizzly 704 for the space.  Specifically the vertical. By the time you add a vise or any major clamping, you fill find yourself having to deal with little working room on smaller machines.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at the Rong-FU mill drill (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM) I got one several years ago from a machinery dealer. Someone had ordered it then backed out. I paid $1200.00 with tax. It has a 24 inch table and a travel of about 26". If you are only working on gun parts that should cover about 90%. I have machined a 24" black powder breach loading cannon and AR-15 0% forging. It takes Bridgeport collets and tool holders.I just installed a DRO which makes milling in the y axis a breeze.( the mill drills head goes up and down not the table) Got it on Amazon for 134.00 for three axis
The thing to remember is a used machine is just that, unless you can have it checked for wear and run out you might not be able to hold tolerances.
The other thing is a full size Bridge port weighs 3,000-4,000 lbs. and takes about up about a 5x5 ft. area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a Millrite on Ebay if anyone is interested.  Might go for a good price, if things don't get crazy.  I already own one, so no bidding competition from me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271597292614?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow that is not that far from me. If I did not already have the mini mill I would jump at that...

I see he has that listed as local pickup only IF a fellow ARFCOM'er is interested I would be happy to go get it and help arrange transport or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Notice the pic details, it looks like a school machine.  She's probably in great mechanical shape.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a used mill and lathe. Both are mini. They are ideal for my work now. My plan was to see if I like the work. If it becomes a passion or source of revenue, I'll go bigger to expand my project options.

Mine are from Harbor Freight. Tooling and equipment add up quickly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
6 minutes left to the auction, looks like it's going to go reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Me too.
They have a lot of junk with missing/broken parts, and they really dont know much about the machines they are selling, but if you know what you're looking at you can find some good stuff.
The salesman will take as many additional pics and close ups of anything you want.  At least he did when i bought my mill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Me too.
They have a lot of junk with missing/broken parts, and they really dont know much about the machines they are selling, but if you know what you're looking at you can find some good stuff.
The salesman will take as many additional pics and close ups of anything you want.  At least he did when i bought my mill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me too.

That's what I've found.  They don't have a lot of knowledge of their equipment but their pricing generally reflects it.

I mean, a J head Bridgeport isn't exactly highly desireable, but for $600 a home smith could do a lot worse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]

I just bought 100 5C collets from them for $150. They're all in amazing shape. Best deal I've found in the tooling world so far.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Score.

I keep watching to find a Bridgeport shaper attachment for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a G0619 that I bought used with a DRO for $1500.  While it is capable it does get small fast. Once you mount a vice about half of your Z travel is gone.  I havent done it yet but will probably make or buy a plate to bolt down parts vs using a vice.  A rotary table with a 3 jaw chuck is even taller and if you use it vertically it takes up a good bit of room as well.  I have used mine a few times but will probably just remove the 3 jaw unless I really need to machine a round bar.  My machine came with a ER40 chuck and it was pretty nice for faster tool changes but I have since made a spindle lock similar to the one Priest tools sells.  Now I can use my R8 collets pretty much all the time and they are easier to change.  It really doesnt seem like it coming into it but as the others said tooling really adds up.

Rigidity is an issue so the more mass you can bolt to it probably the better off you will be.  Mine isnt currently bolted down but once I make a better table it will be.  In my case that should help in the vibration and rigidity dept.  I have cut both steel and aluminum on mine and you have to make light cuts to get away with it.  There is a big difference between this and the machines you will probably use in tech school.  I know there was when I went.  I havent tried flycutting but I have used a boring head and it did get a little shakey with that much mass off center but it wasnt too bad considering I was using a 2 1/2" head on such a small machine.  

The G0619 is a Sieg SX3 mill that grizzly sells.  The Sieg X3 is the same size but has some changes but is cheaper.  There is a good amount of info on modifications and the capabilities of the X series of mills.  I think the smaller X2 wouldnt be worth messing with.  A good many people convert the X3 and SX3 to CNC so you may want to even look at that for an option down the road.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top