Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2014 11:03:16 PM EDT
i'm looking to upgrade my home lathe with replaceable / index-able carbide holders (likely something used from eBay), are there any you guys would specifically recommend? any types of holders or tools to look for or to avoid?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Huge fan of TT-321 (TCMM) inserts since you can get them so inexpensive (less than $2 an uncoated insert in bulk).

Most of the tool holders you find on ebay are for metric thread bolt inserts, which ends up with the holder screw too wide to use with the TT-321 inserts.  I have not used these, but at least its a source for tt-321 insert tool holders if you don't want to make your own.

http://www.billstoolcrib.com/Toolset5Pc.htm

Simply, always work back from the inserts that you want to use/how much you are going to have to pay for inserts, then find the tool holder needed for the inserts.

Also, keep in mind that a carbide insert will never cut as clean/smooth as a HSS cutter, so you still going to need to have some Hss cutters still around the shop (HSS blanks and a grinder to make/sharpen what you need).
View Quote
thank you

i plan to do mostly aluminum, so i'll probably want to use a lot of HSS

are HSS inserts common?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I like These from kennametal.
They are not cheap but you can get a lot of different inserts for it. HSS, carbide, ceramic and in a bunch if different radius tips as well. They are very tough and will take a beating.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Carbide for production work, HSS for general smithing work.
Carbide really isn't happy unless your speed and feed are up there.

I work in a shop where we machine hydraulic cylinders and components. Some of these are pretty good sized cylinders, 10" diameter and 14' long. We can't spin them fast and the shop was spending stupid money on inserts, especially threading tools.
I ground up a few HSS tools and the foreman was amazed at the better finish and cost savings we got. Before the threads were rough and chattered and now they are clean and smooth.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Two places that are the best.

McMaster-Carr
MSC Direct

I supply my shop with all carbides and HSS bits from either. Most of the time it's to me next day or 2nd day.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the CMNG on the tool holders and CCMT on the boring bars.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#9]
WNMG for both turning and big boring.  You get a strong insert that can turn and face.  It also has 6 corners, vs 4.  CNMG for smaller boring. because you can get smaller inserts for smaller holes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top