Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 3:09:59 PM EDT
Some of these probably will have an obvious answer once I start the project, but here it goes for the ones out there than can help me out.

I'm putting a free float quad rail on my AR.

1-Once I remove the stock handguard and the delta ring, do I have to worry at all about the barrel? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I keep hearing about head spacing... I don't intend to move or remove the barrel, but I want to make sure I don't mess things up...

2-How do I know the replacement low profile gas block gas hole is aligned with the hole in the barrel?

I have watched at least 5 different videos on installing this specific rail model, but these 2 issues were never addressed...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
1- Don't worry about the headspace if you're not changing the barrel. Just moving the Delta ring and barrel nut won't affect the barrel at all.

2- The low profile gas block will be aligned when you put it in position. Just remember you need to keep the same gap between the barrel shoulder and the end of the gas block, as if there was the handguard end cap still there. I used a feeler gauge on mine, something like .025 to .030. Mine was @ .028 exactly. I just slipped the feeler gauge in between the shoulder and the block, slid my block back, and fastened it.

Something a little unorthodox - I've also checked alignment with the block and the gas port hole by blowing into the gas tube. You'll know when it is and is not aligned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top