Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 9:29:24 AM EDT
Hey guys,
I have a B&C M40 stock I bought used and the previous owner opened the channel for a 22 target rifle.  I want to fill it in so that the channel is not so large (this is for an 700).  Can someone recommend what I can use to fill in this channel?  I would like to use something that hardens like the original stock and is sandable and paintable.  

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Shane
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That's going to be difficult.

Probably the best option would be to fill the channel with epoxy bedding compound.
You would do this in a sort of reverse bedding procedure, by filling the channel with enough epoxy that when the barrel and action are bolted in there's enough epoxy to fill the excess space before the epoxy cures, just like you bed actions.

You'd need to roughen up the existing channel to give the epoxy something to lock into.  This could be a large number of shallow holes that the epoxy can fill and lock in place.

You'd use standard techniques to give a free floating barrel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
He opened it for a 10x barrel so it was a hoss.  I plan on getting a bull barrel but at the time have a contour.  I wouldnt care but I'm afraid its really going to look goofy with that much space around it.

I thought about the epoxy bedding compound but thought there may be something else.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He opened it for a 10x barrel so it was a hoss.  I plan on getting a bull barrel but at the time have a contour.  I wouldnt care but I'm afraid its really going to look goofy with that much space around it.

I thought about the epoxy bedding compound but thought there may be something else.

View Quote

Don't bother trying to fill in the channel.   Just fill in the upper 1/4".   You may want a HB in the future, so why fill it?

Or, leave as is and claim it's "air cooled"
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this is a shootin' gun, then bed the action and be done with it.  If it's a lookin' gun, you can do this with epoxy bedding.

Get a roll of 10 mil PASCO pipe wrap tape.  Wrap the barrel with one or two wraps or whatever gap you want, prep the stock, apply mold release to everything you don't want to glue into the stock, and then apply the bedding compound of your choice.

Cut the ends of a handful of popsicle sticks to an angle.  Use those to make a nice filleted joint along the epoxy line between the stock and the tape.

Let 'er set awhile, then pop it apart.  If you did it right, there will be no voids under the barrel.  If there are a few invisible voids, don't sweat it.

The epoxy can be tinted to match, or not.  A tint that is the same color as the stock but not quite as dark is less obvious.  I use artist oil paint; only small drops are needed, don't over do the color.

On the other hand, a contrasting color such as red on black would be cool.

View Quote

What he said.
But if you are planning on going to a heavier barrel later anyway why bother? Do the first inch or two of the barrel and call it good.

Edit: beat by a few minutes! Sorry, watching Jeremiah Johnson and sippin some Makers Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top