Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2014 8:34:56 AM EDT
Just acquired a 2" ENCO import boring head for my mill, never used one before.

Was wondering how those things handle interupted cuts.  When machining a 0% forging I was thinking of using it to finish off the 0.75 Radius between the deck and buffer tube tang.  For now I'm interpolating 20 points around the arc (tedious) and was comtemplating picking up a 1.5" endmill just for this radus..but figured I'd ask.

So anyone use a boring head for an inside corner?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it would be a problem in aluminum with a short bar.  Just check and double check that your setup is locked down good, table X,Y, and the lock on the boring head.

You could always try it on some scrap first and see if you're happy with how it works.

My 2" Chinese boring head did a 5.255 bore with out issue tonight.  Making a old Ford flywheel into a base for a mill turn table.  At the beginning the cut was pretty interrupted.
My lathe isn't quite big enough to handle this, so I used the DRO to drill a 60 hole circle to take out the center.

A pretty interrupted cut.

A perfect 5.255" hole in cast iron.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top