BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2013 4:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bradders]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet post! and I bet its hella quiet with a can.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#2]
What prevents one from building a DI AR that extracts and ejects, but locks open after every round?
May need a beefier bolt catch setup, but i was just wondering if something like that had been considered?

You could run an extended bolt release and never change your firing grip to charge the weapon...

Of course, if done like a normal AR, you would be able to simply hold the bolt catch down and keep firing, which wouldn't fly...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
What prevents one from building a DI AR that extracts and ejects, but locks open after every round?

I believe gas systems are verboten for that exact reason.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bradders:
May need a beefier bolt catch setup, but i was just wondering if something like that had been considered?

You could run an extended bolt release and never change your firing grip to charge the weapon...

Of course, if done like a normal AR, you would be able to simply hold the bolt catch down and keep firing, which wouldn't fly...

You've answered your own question

So get creative with a bolt release disconnect that won't let the bolt drop until you let off and depress the release again!
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
So get creative with a bolt release disconnect that won't let the bolt drop until you let off and depress the release again!

We do have a semi working prototype of that

I didn't figure I was the first one to think of that
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen a video of something that someone built that used the safety (or something like it, couldn't tell) to release the bolt after it locked back on every shot. Since it was a two step operation, release bolt, then pull trigger, to fire it was legal. I thought it was a pretty neat solution for this situation.

I am sure glad I live in TN...
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#9]
While I cant see the pictures to see how it looks, I have seen a suppressed AR in 300 Blackout where they attached a pull handle to the left side of the AR so they can turn off the DI with the suppressor, which, I'm assuming is exactly what's here. Overall, awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SVOfan:
I've seen a video of something that someone built that used the safety (or something like it, couldn't tell) to release the bolt after it locked back on every shot. Since it was a two step operation, release bolt, then pull trigger, to fire it was legal. I thought it was a pretty neat solution for this situation.

I am sure glad I live in TN...

I've seen a similar video of a 9mm called the Unicorn.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Very innovative, but I think it's dangerous ,bolt handle easy to hurt people !

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
This informative thread is also quite useful for adding a side-charging handle to a semi-auto AR-15.  

Notice that 1st hole in the side of the carrier?  THAT area of carrier bore generally does not contact the gas rings at all.  The 1st side charging carrier I bought from Fulton Armory was drilled & threaded in that same area; it does not interfere with the bolt at all.  Now that second hole Bradders dilled - well that made me throw up a little bit.

Good report & excellent work!
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 6:54:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 22_boomer] [#13]

I haven't shown any receiver machining because I don't need to do that anymore as the one pictured is my own Billet machined receiver

I do remember seeing a set of photos, over in the UK section of Hometown, of your work on the upper receiver to allow for clearance of the section bolted to the carrier -- very clever.  I borrowed the idea to test a small cartridge in the AR before I went to all the trouble to build the gas system. I still have that receiver  just in case I get a wild hair and decide to try doing another odd cartridge.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Good show!

At Trinidad State Gunsmithing School, some students have milled a slot in the left side of the receiver for a bolt handle.  The hole is drilled in the left side of the bolt carrier, allowing the shooter to keep the right hand on the pistol grip and for the left hand to pull the bolt back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Couple of Q.s for you:

-is the standard AR-15 charging handle still operational?

-do most in the U.K. leave the buffer and spring in?  Or is it strictly manual for both opening and closing?
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:44:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#19]
Originally Posted By CBR900:
Couple of Q.s for you:

-do most in the U.K. leave the buffer and spring in?  Or is it strictly manual for both opening and closing?

I would hope you leave the buffer and spring in, otherwise there's nothing keeping the bolt carrier consistently forward and the bolt locked, except a small bit of friction.

The recoil alone, with the stock against your shoulder, would unlock the bolt after firing, I tested that once.  It's not dangerous, it just unlocks and travels rearward a bit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Couple of Q.s for you:

I would hope you leave the buffer and spring in, otherwise there's nothing keeping the bolt carrier consistently forward and the bolt locked, except a small bit of friction.

The recoil alone, with the stock against your shoulder, would unlock the bolt after firing, I tested that once.  It's not dangerous, it just unlocks and travels rearward a bit.

That makes sense.  I was just thinking of the designs for dedicated straight-pull rifles - like the Swiss K-31s and Steyr 95s that are manual in both directions (no spring).  

But your explanation makes sense.

Your expirament reminds me of an old 870 shotgun I used to use on deer; off the bench it would usually "auto-eject" the fired shells from the heaviest 2 and 3/4 slugs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Couple of Q.s for you:

That makes sense.  I was just thinking of the designs for dedicated straight-pull rifles - like the Swiss K-31s and Steyr 95s that are manual in both directions (no spring).  

But your explanation makes sense.

Your expirament reminds me of an old 870 shotgun I used to use on deer; off the bench it would usually "auto-eject" the fired shells from the heaviest 2 and 3/4 slugs.

Many pumps will do that if you fire it without holding the forend.
Had a friend with a 10" Mossberg AOW, and with warm OOB, it would self-eject.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:48:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#24]
Originally Posted By raf:
You're using up taps as you go?
Must be a better way.......

Perhaps a US vendor might be able to supply the taps you need.  After all, there are plenty of ARs being fabricated here.

Shipping and other costs would be a factor, but virtually destroying taps as you go doesn't seem very cost-effective in the long run.

If I can help, please contact me.

Well, taps ARE a consumable, especially when you're tapping something that's already been hardened.
The gas key screw holes in a standard carrier are tapped before hardening.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Where there is a will, there is a way.

AWESOME inventive engineering to overcome a political blockade.

Best wishes....move to Texas
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Try using EMUGE spiral taps, German made, top quality. They should handle the hardened steel and the chrome lining for several hundred holes before they wear out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you chaps plug the barrel gas port or have them made without the hole?  Great work by the way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Made without :)
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
That looks really nice.  How common are extraction problems with this single shot setup?  Does a suborn case become problematic for extraction?

What would a typical price on something like this run?
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Thought I'd show off the new upper receiver and charging handle combo.
Both 3d modelled and machined from 7075T6 billet
<a href="http://s818.photobucket.com/user/Mbradders/media/null_zpsf503b04d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/Mbradders/null_zpsf503b04d.jpg</a>

that is absolutely awesome
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Mark Bradley recommended Accuracy Speaks to do this job for me.  Derrick Martin and Sean Damerell gave me top rate service and provided me with a "Straight Pull" configuration that works just perfectly.  Shot a XTC match with it today, rapids are effortless, literally takes a second to eject and reload, head stays in position, couldn't ask for more.

Thanks,

Tony

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 2:38:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bradders] [#36]
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I owned one of Marks riles before we moved to he USA I actually miss it! I loved target shooting with it and his charging handle is easy to use and live with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Very nice.  I ran a straight-pull bolt action AR pistol for a number of years for no particular reason.  I've been following y'all's travails for awhile - in 2003, was working w/ Boss & Co to knock out my shotgun license & pick up a Mossberg 500 to hunt rabbits w/.  Then Uncle sent me home : (
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#40]
First let me thank the OP and all the contributors for such a great post.

This idea has been bouncing around in my head for a long time now and I've just decided to pursue it. I do have a couple questions if you guys don't mind.

1. Is the knob on the Bradley Arms Pull a custom part or an off the self part?
2. Is the modification to the upper simply an additional straight slot to allow the pull to fully travel?

I plan to use this upper and just machine the additional slot!?!?

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Sonny
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kfp762] [#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

View Quote

That's awesome Evo Engineering do good work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:08:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: talonhead] [#42]
I am re-building one of my AR's into a straight pull. I ordered a BHW 20" semi-bull without a gas port drilled. I am currently using a Mega upper receiver with side charger slot and Y/M NM BCG. Have seen the extended bolt attachments.
My ultimate end goal is to use a Quality Arms Ambi Gen 2  upper. It has ejection ports and side charger slots on both sides. It comes with both left and right eject bolts and the charger handle can be mounted left or right. Due to being cross dominant and having scar tissue in my right eye that effects my vision even more, I am starting to shoot left handed. My set-up will be op knob on the right, with left eject bolt. This will enable me to keep my firing hand on the grip while operating the bolt with the right. (I picked this technique up from a Marine Sniper).
Current configuration:
linky

This thread gives me a couple of ideas. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#43]
There's some Savages, and think you get custom Remington actions as well, that are right bolt left eject.  Would love to know what velocities you're getting out of that 30" bbl.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry, didn't realize the typo. It's a 20" BHW. Down from a 24" bull.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:30:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: talonhead] [#45]
This is how it sits right now. (Updated the link 3/14/16)
Just got some stub cobalt bits from the brown truck.
Now I need to buy/make a clamping fixture for the drill press.
Also have to see if I will be able to use this carrier without milling the eject port lower edge to fit the new handle mounting. With the current operating handle, there is minimal clearance between the port floor and spindle.
I bought some key stock and aluminum blocks to fiddle with shape, clearance and length to obtain the correct 'fit' for me.
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/talonhead/No%20Gas/story
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome.  I was just looking into this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Have made some progress on my build (check out the updated link above)
Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey Bradders, I really like the turndown knob. But my handle is shorter due to shooting lefty and operating the bolt with the right. Could a shorty be made?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Can you achieve the same thing by just removing the gas tube and flipping the gas block around so the gas port is covered?  Then you could use the charging handle to chamber each round, or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Drew1066:
Can you achieve the same thing by just removing the gas tube and flipping the gas block around so the gas port is covered?  Then you could use the charging handle to chamber each round, or am I missing something?
View Quote

Holy zombie-post!
The ergonomics of a knob in a location similar to a bolt-action are much better than an AR charging handle shooting from a bench.
It's a trade off, break your firing grip or break your support grip and cheek weld for every shot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top