Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2017 4:36:23 PM EDT

First outing with the new Scorpion carbine with flash hider (as opposed to fake can). Picture in other thread. Had to use an indoor range with only 25yd lanes, but the main point was to function fire the gun and get an idea of its dynamics. Here's some thoughts that someone might care about:

- Overall ergonomics of the rifle are excellent, at least for me.
- Zero malfunctions of any kind (as expected, but you never know).
- 115gr ammo from Remington, Fiocchi, Perfecta, and Winchester (white box) all fed and ejected perfectly.
- The safety thing is no joke - that sonofabitch beats heck out of your trigger finger like everyone says. How could CZ not address something that obvious? Jeez. I'm ordering the safety delete.
- My particular rifle prints a little low, but I didn't have my sight tool with me, so I figured I'd fix that later. Windage spot on. Here's a target with about 30 rounds in it from 25yd, standing, unsupported, just checking the rifle out: (Yeah, I'm not a great shot, especially with irons.)

Attachment Attached File

- The bolt is surprisingly hard to cycle, especially when stripping a round off a full mag. Bring your strong finger with you.
- The trigger is pretty bad. It breaks fairly crisply, but only after a long and scrunchy takeup. Might have to look into a trigger job.
- The factory magazines can be a little finicky to load, and I was bummed that my Maglula won't work with them. Won't fit over the mouth of the mag. And the mags do NOT drop free ... in fact, mine have to be pulled out. Correction - I don't know what I was doing, but now the mags not only drop free, but they squirt out of the magwell under spring pressure. Sorry about that error.
- Recoil is light. I'd judge it about half of a 5.56 AR, which itself isn't bad.
- The sound level strikes me as medium, but of course I was back behind the muzzle. A guy shooting a 9mm pistol in the lane beside me sounded louder than me. I could hear the mechanism of the CZ over the bark of the cartridge.
- Tried my PA Micro red dot with riser intended for AR, and unsurprisingly, it ran out of adjustment long before the POI got to the
center fo the target. Gotta look for a low mount or whole new red dot. Hope the irons don't interfere with the sight picture so I don't have to remove them.

I'm gonna love this rifle as soon as I get the new safety button and a fix for my red dot. If you're on the fence about this gun, I think you'd be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
For anyone who cares, I found the "belly mount" for my PA micro RDS, and now it co-witnesses perfectly in the lower 1/3 of the sight.

I feel sure most red dots of the same general configuration (Bushnell TRS, Aimpoint Micro, etc.) would do the same with a "flat" mount.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Somehow had the title wrong, but fixed now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I removed the riser from my PA red dot's mount and attached the flat base, and now all is good. The red dot co-witnesses perfectly with the irons, so I'm anxious to get out again and get it zeroed.

I've ordered some 30-round magazines and a safety delete button, and I'm pumped. I think this is going to be a really nice shooter and a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
One additional modification that will help you with the charging handle is to replace the factory charging handle with a Manticore Arms extended charging handle, and then move the factory one to the right side.  Now you have a large charging handled on the primary side, and a backup on the right that is low profile.  I love mine and it addressed the issue with the small charging handle that comes on the scorpion.

Rather than do the safety delete, you may want to look at the AK safety for the scorpion.  It is a reverse safety and stays out of the way, yet is there for redundancy should anything go wrong with your primary safety.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. That little nub of a charging handle is kinda hard on the finger, so I'll look at the one you suggested. And having a backup is a good idea, too.

I'm okay with having only the left-side safety, so the delete button is fine. It is on the way now, so I'll go ahead and see how it works.

I appreciate the tips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top