Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2017 2:51:26 AM EDT
I've been kicking around the idea of building a 7.62x25 AR, and was thinking I might even go all out on it with a large Glock magazine lower (10mm/.45). I'm not sure if there are any 7.62x25 mags I'd be able to easily modify to fit the magwell of such a lower though. Does anyone have either a PPS 43, or Czech SA 24/26 magazine they could measure the length and width of with calipers?

Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have some PPS-43 mags at home and some calipers. If I can remember, I'll measure them up after work and let you know.
I'm thinking about a 7.62x25mm AR pretty hard as well. Though I'll probably just do the drop-in adapter method. What I'd really love is a 7.62x25mm AK (Vityaz style) that takes PPS-43 mags, but I lack the skills and tools, ...and parts, for such a job.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
For the one I measured, it looks like mag body width maxes out at about .820"-.823"
Length of mag body front to back seems to be maxing out at 1.545"-1.550"
Length from front of the mag body to the edge of the spine is about 1.720"
And length from front of the mag body to the tip of the mag stop is right at 1.955"
Also length from the top of the feed lips to the magazine stop appears to be about 1.830"
Those dimensions do not take the curvature of the magazine into account however.
Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the dimensions Animal_Farm.

Looks like neither of these magazines will fit in a Glock magwell due to the length.

Either way, while looking around at these mags, I found Apex had a sale on kits, and ended up with an SA26 kit to build now. I think I'll end up making a block for a standard AR-15 magwell to run a 7.62x25 upper with these mags too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be very interested in hearing which upper you go with and how it runs. I am probably going to try and put together a 7.62x25mm AR before too long. I handload this caliber and love it, but have been long disappointed at the lack of a good modern carbine and pistol chambered in it.
I have a PPS-43C pistol and a semi-auto PPSh-41, but would like something more modern. ...And an AR looks like my best bet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll be very interested in hearing which upper you go with and how it runs. I am probably going to try and put together a 7.62x25mm AR before too long. I handload this caliber and love it, but have been long disappointed at the lack of a good modern carbine and pistol chambered in it.
I have a PPS-43C pistol and a semi-auto PPSh-41, but would like something more modern. ...And an AR looks like my best bet.
View Quote
My plan is to just run a standard upper with a 5.45x39 bolt. Keep it gas operated, and just tweak the port size to get it running reliably. The downside will be that it looks like I'll have to chamber and headspace the barrel myself.

Dimensionally this bolt is so close that it should work... I hope, with maybe just minimal modification to the extractor claw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top