Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2017 8:19:58 PM EDT
So I've been wanting something in a 9mm, besides my pistols.  The AR's appealed to me briefly, but it seems like too much of "this doesn't work with that, and you gotta do this, and use that", to be what I'd call reliable or headache free.  

So I have now been looking at the scorpions.  It seems like they are getting some traction and here to stay, along with some industry support.   What do I need to know???  Here's a few questions I have:

Ease of cleaning?

Reliability????

Accuracy?

Quality of build?

What available upgrades are you guys doing?

I'd love to hear some user feedback, and thoughts, also what kind of round counts are you guys at?  Thanks guys for any help you can give.  Also feel free to post pics.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
This will keep you busy for a while

Lots of great information in that thread.  Pics too.  

I got a Scorpion in March and have really enjoyed it in the short time that I've had it.  Installed a SB Tactical brace (along with a bunch of goodies from HB Industries and Gear Head Works) and it's a 10/10.  I'm not sure I've read many ill words about the Scorpion other than if you get one with a welded trigger pack it'll require a little extra work to be able to remove it.  Mine must have been from a newer batch as its screw wasn't welded.  The one common complaint is the safety selector on the right side...it'll dig into your finger when on Fire.  That was one of the first items I changed.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm buying the EVO pistol as soon as I can afford it then I'll SBR it directly thereafter, and I'm an AK and an AR owner.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one about a month ago, it's super fun super reliable and is one of my favorites. That is after I replaced the pistol grip and safety levers, but I love the stupid thing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I had mine for about 2 years now.  I also SBR it.  SBR or brace is a must! It sucked as a pistol.

Ease of cleaning?  un-suppress it was a very clean running gun.  Very little got to the back.  I say under 30min cleaning.  Suppress, well that just makes a mess on any gun.  That said I've have about 500 suppress rounds with out cleaning it.  Still hasn't hiccup cause of it.

Reliability????  I never had a jam with newly manufactured ammo.  I have had a few fail to extract on some subsonic reloads when I was testing what worked for the gun.  I'm positive it was the ammo being to light. I have about 3k rounds through mine.  I've also thrown everything from 115 to 147, from round nose to wad cutters and HP, it's not had an issue with any of them.  

Accuracy? Very fast gun to target. Accuracy is very good but I've only shoot at steal poppers at 25 yards, and I rarely miss.  Same hole on paper at 25 yards.  I do wish the dwell time was faster. 

Quality of build?  Very few parts.  Download the manual and you will see what I mean.  Ease gun to work on and well built. My gripes are with a few things that can be fixed.
1. The trigger.  10lbs, but i got my to around 5 with the HBI spring and a little polishing.

2. The hand-guard is held on with a barrel nut, that is Loctite  in. You will get one with a ton of loctiet or none. I got lucky and mine didn't have any.  My hand-guard came loosen up at the range. This can be fixed with the HBI or Matador Arms solution.  I have not done that yet, cause my was not one of the 1/2x 28 models and my can uses the nut to index from. 

3. The Charging Handel bolt hold open.  I just don't like it. I know, I know, cool H&K slap. But, I've gotten use to the bolt release, and you can't use the bolt release when Charging Handel has the  locked open. It's caused me some time every time I use it cause I forget about it.  Nothing like pushing on the bolt release and nothing happening. Since this is also one of my go to home defense,  gun, I shoot it with out using the Charging Handel bolt open.

Edit: 4: The darn Safety.  Just replace it.  Get the HBI AK or mini AK.  Just do it.

Other thoughts,  Very fun gun too shoot.  My favorite for now. hope that helps.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot an MP5 or clone. It will make you rethink a scorpion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I own an AR-9, MPX, Scorpion, and my brother owns an MP5. I have experience with all of the above.

Pros:
Scorpion weighs less than the others
Scorpion costs less than the others
The charging handle is ambi (and for the most part the whole gun is ambi)
Parts/mags are relatively cheap

Cons:
It feels cheap due to all the plastic
The trigger is the worst out of the bunch
The action is actually pretty loud, so though you may get less gas, it seems to be loud
The AR and MPX has a very similar manual of arms. So all the controls are easier to adjust to since it's pretty much the same as an ar15 which we pretty much all are familiar with
My sights don't cowitness with my low mount optic.
The threads are retarded. 18mm threads but the new ones (which I have) has also 1/2x28. But it has some sort of locking tab that holds in the flash hider or ring to cover the 18mm threads.
Grip angle should be more vertical considering how compact the SBR/Pistol packages are, it'll let you keep your elbow closer to the body if it was more vertical.
The right side selector gets in the way.

Personally, if I were on a budget, it would be an ok PCC. But an AR platform can be had for roughly the same price. Mine runs 100% and I've been having it for 7 years and 1000's of rounds. Colt mags are only 12 bucks when on sale at PSA or Aimsurplus.  MPX has a 4.5 and 8 inch version, with both side folding or PDW style stock/braces available from the factory.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot an MP5 or clone. It will make you rethink a scorpion.
View Quote
Yah! Let's turn this to yet another MP5 vs Scorpion thread!  

I have access to 3 MKE MP5.  One full size and two for the small version
with 3lug. My good friend owns all 3 and I have had a lot of trigger time with
them.  Here is my 2 cents.

Weight: About the same. The MP5 k version is a tiny bit lighter.

Ease of cleaning:MP5 is a dirty girl.  The scorpion is easier.

Shooting: Mp5wins. Way Smoother, but not $800 More smoother.

Shooting suppressed: MP5 wins. Quitter and does not require ears.  My Scorpion is quite loud at the shooters ear and I do need to have ear protection. This is where the MP5 shines.  I hope one day I will be able to buy a FA MP5SD.

Reliability: This is the part that offend 80% of all MP5 owners that will read this. All MP5 I have shot do not like HP ammo.  This might be a MKE thing, but I doubt it as they use H&K tooling, and you can do a google search and fine the same issue with others.  From what I have read, DJ Getz Mp5 were the most reliable clones around, but he out of the business now.  And before it’s a mag thing, we have 9 mags, and all do the same.  The Scorpion, has fed everything I have given her out of the box.

Accuracy: I can’t comment much on this both seem to be on par.

Quality of build: No doubt that the mp5 is way over built, and will last multiple of our life times.  I give this to the MP5. Nothing I can see wrong with the Scorpion, but Only time will tell how the plastic will hold up.

Mags:  Scorpion are plastic, but you can get metal feed lip ones. They cost about 20 to 30 dollars.  MP5 are all metal and you need a 2ndmortgage to get an H&K one.

Feature:  The scorpion has the last shot bolt open, makes mag changes so much easier. But the mp5 has the roller block system.  Some Mp5 do have a button mag release and 3lug.

Parts and upgrades:  MP5 wins, but come on, it’s been around since the 1960s.  The Scorpion has been growing.  Only if we could get the G man to get us a trigger.

Summary: in ARFCOM fashion, get both if you can afford it. If I was getting into the Mp5 game, I would save up for the FA MP5SD.  That thing is just bad ass.  So what if it’s the price of a small house.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Summary: in ARFCOM fashion, get both if you can afford it. If I was getting into the Mp5 game, I would save up for the FA MP5SD.  That thing is just bad ass.  So what if it’s the price of a small house.
View Quote
^^^ This. I have both a Scorpion EVO 3 and a Zenith Z5P (MP5K clone). Both are SBR'd, the Z5P goes with me to the range every time. The Scorpion gets brought out much less. That being said, for the price you can't go wrong on the Scorpion. The recoil is a bit more obtuse, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. Find a good three-lug adapter and suppress it. It's super easy to clean, which is a big plus, and when I do shoot it I shoot the piss out of it without much thought as to cleaning afterwards.

So no, I won't talk you out of a Scorpion. If you don't have an SBR or several already, then this needs to be your first. Do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
As far as cleaning goes it's a snap. The gun runs pretty clean as is, suppressed it'll get nasty like any weapon. Takes me about 20 minutes to get it looking nearly unfired.

Reliability in mine has been fantastic, I've run a few types of brass, steel, and premium SD type ammo without an issue. I've got less than 2k rounds through mine so time will tell but this far it's been perfect.

I haven't fired it for groups but I can say I fired it at 200 yards with another Arfcom member spotting me and had no trouble hitting a 10" steel gong about 60% of the time. For a SMG type weapon that's plenty accurate enough for me. I'd like to try it a bit further but my range is only set up for 200 yards.  

It's all polymer, I'd suggest handling one for yourself before buying. It seems to be a turn off for some folks and it does has a plastic feel. Field stripping it may change your mind though, the gun is very robust! The bolt carrier is a monster and the barrel is CHF. My example is totally free of machining marks as well. I'd say that if a Glock doesn't bother you the Scorpion won't either.

Running suppressed was a big deal to me and the main reason I chose it over the MPX. It isn't gassy AND it's stupid quiet with 147 and 158 subs. I'm not sure what set up the other poster is running but I'm shooting subs with an Omega 9k and it deff is hearing safe (and than some!).

Aftermarket support is good and getting to be great. Between 2 or 3 companies you can replace nearly every part with something not CZ if you desired.

The shitty parts about this gun most people seem to parrot... the trigger, the threading and the safety. The ambi safety sucks, it'll dig into your hand when firing if not gripped perfectly. The threading is different on the 2 existing generations, and the trigger... it ain't no Geissle or MBT from LaRue. It's clean but heavy, aftermarket spring kits exist to fix it though.

I'm not touching the MP5 comparisons, the fan bois will go ballistic.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with the psa ar9 recently because it was 550 total compared to the roughly 800 for the cz. But I probably will drop 1300 around the end of the year for the mpx! I also own a cx4 carbine and can't recommend it enough. The cx4 is a fantastic pcc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Have an SBR Scorpion, and my wife loves it so much I bought her a second with a brace. One of the most fun guns I own, and I own a lot of guns.

Also not real sure about the folks saying the Scorpion is loud suppressed. I've found it to be extremely quiet. Certainly don't need earpro.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Kriss Vector, you will be happier longer, have a better weapon, and it takes GLOCK mags.
I have had a Scorp, a MPX , and AR.
I'll take the Vector!
Scorp= PLASTIC
MPX=Gas in the face, heavy, and SIG  just sucks!
AR= All the "Go Wrong" with the buffer tubes and springs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Talk me out of a Scorpion
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I've been wanting something in a 9mm, besides my pistols.  The AR's appealed to me briefly, but it seems like too much of "this doesn't work with that, and you gotta do this, and use that", to be what I'd call reliable or headache free.  

So I have now been looking at the scorpions.  It seems like they are getting some traction and here to stay, along with some industry support.   What do I need to know???  Here's a few questions I have:

Ease of cleaning?

Reliability????

Accuracy?

Quality of build?

What available upgrades are you guys doing?

I'd love to hear some user feedback, and thoughts, also what kind of round counts are you guys at?  Thanks guys for any help you can give.  Also feel free to post pics.
View Quote

Let's see to talk you out of one: Depends on what you are buying the pistol or the carbine?

Magazines are still breaking regardless of old style or new style.

The pistol sucks with built in cheese graters on the handguard

Front sight will not adjust down far enough for 25 yard zero

Your going to dump money into it to fix short comings, trigger, screwy threaded barrel, handguard to name a few.

If you SBR it you have to make it 922r compliant and throw away parts just because.

Recoil is harsher than the Sig counterpart.

Did I scare you yet?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the most fun guns I own, and I own a lot of guns.
View Quote
Well, give us the list! It will give us a point of relativity. Plus, I hate all those other posts where they say how great the Evo is and it's the only gun they own.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot my Scorpion SBR just once...recoil was more noticeable compared with my MPX SBR, but it did cycle 165gr Hush 9mm.

Because of the Franklin Armory BFS and a new 4.5" factory MPX barrel....my MPX gets the most usage.  The BFS in the MPX is sooooo much fun:  https://youtu.be/LgVvjOS1Bag
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, give us the list! It will give us a point of relativity. Plus, I hate all those other posts where they say how great the Evo is and it's the only gun they own.
View Quote
I'm not going to stick a list of guns I own on a public forum. But on this forum, I'd highly doubt if much of anyone here ONLY had a Scorpion Evo. It's not really the "first gun" type of purchase.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got the Evo pistol & shockwave brace.
Mine's had no problems. Accuracy is as good as my CX4 Storm 9mm carbine and that's a 16" barrel vs the Scorpion's 8".
Trigger pull is heavy BUT still an overall better trigger than CX4 or Sub2K.

I can't remember ever seeing a new firearm get so much aftermarket support so fast. I've not done much to mine other than the brace, just a Pakse pathfinder grip and a Stark angled grip.
The factory irons were low for me so I replaced them with some Magpul MBUS flipups.

I'm always amazed at how quiet this thing is with subsonic ammo, mine's not suppressed, but I can hear the difference vs my other 9mm handguns or my 9mm AR with a 4" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top