Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2017 9:37:20 PM EDT
I see a lot of the new PCC on the first page here but not much of the older guns like Thompsons. I will be picking one up next week. Not full auto. Anything I should know about these guns or look for in them?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read that the older West Hurley made guns are better than the Kahr made guns.
I would like one, just a wish they came in 9mm
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought an Auto Ordinance M1 Thompson mainly for sentimental reasons, it's what my dad carried in the pacific.

I plan to sbr it so it ends up with the 12" barrel with the cutts comp.  

Heavy gun but no shortage of smiles and requests to fire it at the range.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Kahr 1927 deluxe with detachable stock SBR.......love it and it's a good shooter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine has one from ww2 converted to semiauto only (legal to do here in Italy)

Sure its a cool gun but heavy as hell with a terrible trigger.

Its a Good collector piece but if you plan to use it for competitions or HD look for something else
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Kahr made 1927 semi auto. It's stupid heavy, stupid long, and stupid fun. One of my early impulse/impractical purchases, but definitely the one I don't regret.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Kahr with 16 or 18 in barrel , but sold it.  Fun to shoot, but heavy and slow to reload compared to an AR or even a cheap Highpoint..  

If I was to buy another Id go for the short barrel..
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned 2 with the 16" barrel over the years, both when Auto Ordnance was in charge, jammed with stick mags. Bought the deluxe 1927 SBR back in 08', love it. It works great with the Taiwan made repro
drums I got from Numrich back when they were $149 a piece, got 3 of them and they all are jam free. Like the gentleman that posted above, I also have the quick detach stock on mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If a thompson doesn't bring a smile to your face your either a commie or unMerican'.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll be fine until you encounter a genuine Thompson or a WWII gun as opposed to the sad copy created by Khar or AO.  Then, like me, you'll come to a sad, sad realization and dump that POS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I do curls with ours.

Dad converted it to an sbr but I would really like to get it threaded.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend of mine has one from ww2 converted to semiauto only (legal to do here in Italy)

Sure its a cool gun but heavy as hell with a terrible trigger.

Its a Good collector piece but if you plan to use it for competitions or HD look for something else
View Quote
Is your Thompson still open bolt?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll be fine until you encounter a genuine Thompson or a WWII gun as opposed to the sad copy created by Khar or AO.  Then, like me, you'll come to a sad, sad realization and dump that POS.
View Quote
I'm a huge Thompson fan..........but till the price of a real 1928 drops to what I paid for my SBR..... I will keep it happily
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#13]
The one I fired was a heavy bitch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Weighs more than a Garand, and LOP is really long with the stock. Cool piece of history, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
For sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Is your Thompson still open bolt?
View Quote
The only Original Thompson/European Semi conversion I have seen was still open bolt, with the only modification being the trip ("Selector") internally welded in the semi position.
Not sure if that is the case with the Italian version.

All US production Semi "Thompsons" are closed bolt.  
Except for the thumb safety lever and wood attachment screws, they share nothing with the originals, inside or out.
The most difficult difference in shooting them is the extremely heavy recoil spring(s), several times more heavy to cock than an original.
A lighter spring kit has been available in the past; maybe a search will lead to some?

But, if the semi is your only option, the pistol version at least mimics the appearance and correct barrel length, and costs only about 5% of an original.
I saw a clever display board, with a modified butt stock permanently fastened to the board.  When the semi pistol was displayed on the board, it rested on the stock and looked almost real.

But, as mentioned elsewhere, you'll fire a real one once, and never look at the semi's the same way again.
Machinegunboards.com has a forum on the semis; lots of information there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
A member of the range I work at pulled one out and handed it to me with a drum. I slapped it in and dumped the drum into a tiny groups at 25 yards. He's always trying to show me up. He asked me when I shot one before. I told him when I was in the Philippines, but those were full autos, not repos.

I really liked those. They were beat to shit but easy to shoot. Lighter than my SAW
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had a Kahr semi 27A1 Thompson since September, 2009.  Very nice fit and finish.  Hard to cock at first but eases up some.  I've replaced the compensator/sight with the M1 type blade sight so that the gun is a couple inches shorter, and so I don't have to clean the compensator.  Also gives the gun a scaled up Model 21 look.  I've also modified the mag catch to use unmodified, original 20 and 30 round full auto stick mags which were considerably cheaper than the new semi mags in 2009 and remain readily available but at a higher cost than what they were.  The mag catch modification is discussed on the aforementioned machinegunboards website.

Numrich now sells a new production 100 round drum for about $400 so you can make a heavy gun even heavier at an affordable cost.  I have not bought one, but the reviews are favorable.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to pursue.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I got it on Wed and I finally got it to the range tonight. Yes it is heavy. It shoots slightly to the right. Was trying to hit a 4 inch gong at 100 yards with it. I hope to SBR it some day and I also hope to get more mags for it as it only has one. It has the 18 inch barrel with the compensator on it. I did have a few failure to feed jams in it. Learned real quick to to free them. Oh, it is fun and I might not get tired of shooting it.

I've shot a real one (full auto) in Vegas. Wanted on ever since.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a Auto Ordnance Thompson TM1C last month. No problems or anything negative to say or report. Shoots fine and straight as fast as you can squeeze the trigger round after round, magazine after magazine. I did install an extended bolt handle and got a good look at the internals, really impressed with the fit and finish.

That's all folks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#21]
No love here.
Wanted one until I fired a full auto SBR.  Heavy, clunky, terrible trigger, unergonomic.

I'm also not overly nostalgic.

Like all guns, it has its own beauty.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone know if I can put an arm brace on one of their M1A1 pistols (10.5" barrel) and avoid the NFA route?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Weighs more than a Garand, and LOP is really long with the stock. Cool piece of history, though.
View Quote
this is my problem with them...not a real pleasure to shoot because you're leaned far forward.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Any love for the Thompson's?
View Quote

Any love for the Thompson's what?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Heavy and not a whole lot of fun in semi only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top