Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 5:26:53 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone else has been down this road and can offer some advice.

I'm trying to remove the pistol grip from my EVO SBR. The grip retaining screw is out and no matter how many times or how hard I hit it the grip won't move to the rear at all.

I've had the grip off previously when I replaced the OEM grip with one from the 922R kit. It was tough then too but a few good whacks got it loose. This time it's not moving at all.

The pistol grip screw collar on the right side of the grip seems to be kind of deep down into the hole for the screw. Could that be blocking rearward movement of the grip?

Any ideas or suggestions?

BTW: I've already tried a bigger mallet!

Thanks...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Screw "nut" has pulled loose from the grip.  It's been pulled into the groove in the receiver and is blocking the grip from moving.

It didn't take much tightening for my 922r grip to do this and I think they are weaker than the originals.  In fact the grip was still loose when the nut was pulled free.

You will have to get the nut away from the receiver to get the grip off.  I took a punch that was just bigger diameter than the screw, inserted the punch in the screws place, and  gave the nut a couple of hits to push it away and free the grip.

Edited to add if you try to force the grip off you will mar up the receiver and it could be bad.  The punch method worked for me.

I replaced the 922r grip with the Yetiwurks.  No issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice.

Your suggestion worked perfectly!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top