Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 8:58:50 AM EDT
I posted this question in General Discussion not knowing this board existed. I currently own a Zenith Z5RS with SB Tactical folding brace. It is quite the gun and I really enjoy it. However, after watching several videos and reading several threads here and reviews elsewhere, I am starting to consider selling it and getting an Evo, SBR-ing it, and getting an AAC TiRant 45m with the funds.

The poll in GD ended up 54% to the "get the Evo" option. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Because all threads are better with pics, my Z5RS:
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I would ask, "which one will I be able to buy firing pins, extractors, and magazines for 15 years from now".
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Evo's are cheap right now. I would hold on to the Zenith and save to buy the EVO.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Many people buy the Scorpion because of the increased cost of the MP5 clones.  You have the "real deal"; if I had your Zenith, I would SBR it and get a can, rather than keep my EVO.

YMMV.

As for the mags and parts question?  MP5s have been around forever, and ETS is supposed to start doing mags soon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both in SBR form and strongly prefer the Zenith.  I never shoot the Evo and am probably going to sell it. 

I would be happy with the EVO if I didn't have the Zenith.  The Zenith is also quieter suppressed and easier to attach a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I own both, SBR'd both, and shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed.

The Evo give you LRBHO, a better platform for optics, and a selector your thumb can reach. It is also much cheaper.

I prefer the MP5. :)

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The MP5 is going no where it's iconic and to cool and still used in a lot of agencies worldwide. I got my evo because I couldn't justify the cost of the zenith mp5. I still want an mp5, but my want is a lot less since I got my evo. If I had an MP5 I'd just sbr it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The MP5 is going no where it's iconic and to cool and still used in a lot of agencies worldwide. I got my evo because I couldn't justify the cost of the zenith mp5. I still want an mp5, but my want is a lot less since I got my evo. If I had an MP5 I'd just sbr it.
View Quote

^^^ this. Most if not all current subguns are still taking ideas and copying from the mp5. While the evo is more modern and has a good current and growing aftermarket support the mp5 is still THE GUN to beat. The mp5s system is smooth like shooting 22lr vs the blowback on the evo which makes 9mm shoot like a sbr 5.56.

With all the current aftermarket items avail and new stuff coming out, if you were to sell the zenith for an evo you'll probably be into the evo for a few hundred more than you sold for....

Prices are high atm for evo aftermarket

$50+ for a charging handle , $55 safetey levers , $45 trigger shoe , $45 mag release, $150 handguard.... don't like the grip ? Oh well thats another $55 sir.... that shitz add up quick

2 years later and we still all want an mp5 style grip and charge handle for the evo
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2 years later and we still all want an mp5 style grip and charge handle for the evo
View Quote

No. Nobody wants that.

The angle of the grip works with the stock, height of the comb, and geometry of the selector to make for a very ergonomic package.

The MP5 notch (*on the Evo) is stupid and needs to go away, or at least a "notch block" needs to be developed to prevent the gun from going into a failure mode when reloading.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, put out a call to go shoot one.  Surely someone on this board is close that has one and will let you shoot it.
That will answer all your questions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the MP5, and if you just can't shake the need for the EVO (which is a great gun), save up and buy it.

You're already into the MP5 system, why hit the reset button?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot an AR9, an Evo and an MP5 back to back trying to decide which one to get.

Instagram Pic

I think the MP5 was clearly the best shooting - it runs like a sewing machine.  The Evo has a pretty stiff recoil, but I was almost as fast and accurate with it as I was the MP5.  In the end, I bought an Evo due to cost reasons and the fun of tinkering with it.  Cost independent, the MP5 wins.  

Now the friend I have who owns all three is in the process of getting an MP5k, which may have me regretting my decision!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Keep the MP5. IMHO, it's a tighter contest if you were waffling between the MP5 and MPX.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice collection.  I'd like an ar 9mm with a binary trigger. I might build one or buy beens ar 15 are cheap now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the Evo and I still want an MP5 or MPX...I would never sell the Evo SBR though.

I think that if you had bought the Evo first you could sell it and buy the MP5 but now that you have MP5 it's a no brainer to save up $650 and just buy an Evo to see how you like it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the Evo and I still want an MP5...I would never sell the Evo SBR though.

I think that if you had bought the Evo first you could sell it and buy the MP5 but now that you have MP5 it's a no brainer to save up $650 and just buy an Evo to see how you like it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/IMG-3801-132047.jpg
View Quote

Yup, this

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is the Arfcom answer: own both. The EVO is cheap enough that you can easily save or sell other stuff to get it.

Personally, I sold my EVO for the MPX just because the EVO felt like an Airsoft toy in my hands.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the Zenith Z5-P and an SBR'd EVO. Not a fan of the EVO after getting the Z5-P, in fact, I plan on selling the EVO and buying the Z5-RS and SBRing that one. I'll keep the K model as a pistol seeing as I have a SB Tactical brace and can take it where ever without worry.

MP5 is always the answer.

BTW, I run both with a can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the input fellas. I'm following the massive majority of the advice I've received and am staying with the MP5.

However, I'm going to put an AR pistol, 18" 6.5 Grendel, and a Ruger scout all up for sale to fund the Rugged Obsidian 45 can I put on a credit card as well as buying an Evo and SBR-ing both pistols.

Thanks again for the advice!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool keep us posted to what you get when you get it. We love happy endings
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#20]

That's sexy especially  those pgs mags
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input fellas. I'm following the massive majority of the advice I've received and am staying with the MP5.

However, I'm going to put an AR pistol, 18" 6.5 Grendel, and a Ruger scout all up for sale to fund the Rugged Obsidian 45 can I put on a credit card as well as buying an Evo and SBR-ing both pistols.

Thanks again for the advice!
View Quote

Seems like a good call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top