Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2017 12:18:05 PM EDT
I finished my Sten MKV a few weeks back.

Third semi Sten I have built, and probably my favorite. Second gun ever I have parkerized. This was built from a British MKV kit from Apex Gun Parts with Indianapolis Ordinance semi auto parts.

Though I originally built this as a pistol, it does much better as a rifle. The heavy wood buttstock balances the 16" barrel very nicely. The best part about the MKV compared to other semi auto stens is the short distance the bolt has to travel for reset.

With a MKII or MKIII semi auto, it is possible for the bolt to short stroke and not catch the striker (or linear hammer depending on what you consider it). So you end up with a fresh round chambered, but the hammer is not cocked. The same thing can happen when charging the gun.
With the MKV design, it is pretty much guaranteed that if the round is loaded, the bolt has traveled far back enough to catch the hammer/striker. These guns also require some grunt to charge, so the closer distance to the sear makes this almost half as easy with the MKV.

But enough technical stuff....my point is, if you want to build a semi sten that is fun to shoot and reliable, I suggest the MKV over the other models.

If you are interested in semi-auto stens, you can watch my video here to see what is involved in a build. I may make a video on the MKV in the future, so if you like Stens, be sure to subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1bYqYrkXY
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn man, that's a thing of beauty right there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, I've always wanted a Sten build, but no welding for me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice piece of work that anyone would be proud of. Thanks for sharing, but you make me have gun envy.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the cleanest looking sten builds I've seen nice job! Very envious.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice work ! The front sight looks like it's too close but I'm guessing it's at the correct length since your probably just waiting on a stamp to cut down the barrel. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely stunning!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice work ! The front sight looks like it's too close but I'm guessing it's at the correct length since your probably just waiting on a stamp to cut down the barrel. 
View Quote

I wanted to keep it in it's origional-ish location. I think it looks better there, and it you put it way on the end, the rear aperture ends up being pretty large frot the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice................I'd love to have one of those
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the front sight common with the Enfield No 4 Mk1 rifle?  Looks very similar.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I think all the parts are - thought borderline not sure on the mount itself .(piece w/ the dovetail)
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looks great
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice work, looks like a lot fun!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn it, OP, now I want one.  

Because of your post, I spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to research Sten builds.  I would love a Mk II SBR.  But I have no experience in welding.  I don't think I even know anyone (at least none of my close friends) that can weld, or has the equipment.

What are the options for such a project for people without welding capabilities?  I imagine that hiring someone to do the welding could be expensive and, more importantly, involve legal issues of who is manufacturing the firearm. (It's no longer a home build for personal use if someone else welds it together.)

Nonetheless, I'd love to try such a project.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn it, OP, now I want one.  

Because of your post, I spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to research Sten builds.  I would love a Mk II SBR.  But I have no experience in welding.  I don't think I even know anyone (at least none of my close friends) that can weld, or has the equipment.

What are the options for such a project for people without welding capabilities?  I imagine that hiring someone to do the welding could be expensive and, more importantly, involve legal issues of who is manufacturing the firearm. (It's no longer a home build for personal use if someone else welds it together.)

Nonetheless, I'd love to try such a project.
View Quote

To be "legally correct" the build process would be a PITA. Infact, it's a PITA just to explain to someone who has never built a Sten. In short, the gun could technically fire with just the trunnion and sear opening cut out. So the welder has already completed the gun, and any more work they would be even further completing it.

You are best off just buying a MIG and learning to weld, cause once you do one you will want to do more....

And dont touch anything with a dremel or welder till you are 100% confident with your skills. I have seen some horrible things done to nice kits
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To be "legally correct" the build process would be a PITA. Infact, it's a PITA just to explain to someone who has never built a Sten. In short, the gun could technically fire with just the trunnion and sear opening cut out. So the welder has already completed the gun, and any more work they would be even further completing it.

You are best off just buying a MIG and learning to weld, cause once you do one you will want to do more....

And dont touch anything with a dremel or welder till you are 100% confident with your skills. I have seen some horrible things done to nice kits
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I was beginning to wonder whether it would be worth learning to MIG weld before tackling such a project.  As you mention, it probably wouldn't stop at one.

I'm not in a rush, so I have no problem taking my time.  The only thing to hurry about would be getting the parts kits before they sell out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top