Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 3:03:39 AM EDT
I haven't seen much on the Flint River Armory CSA 45 on any of the forums. I figured I would share some photos. This is a very early production run gun, it's one of the first 150 units shipped. It is a 45 ACP gas piston carbine.

Pics of the carbine.

Pics of the upper and lower.

Pics of the BCG.

The rifle field stripped.

Spare parts!

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I think your made a smart purchase with this one.  Most people realize this is a GAS PISTON - ROTARY BOLT design.  This is NOT the standard blow back gun or a conversion gun.  The gun is billet cut upper, gas block, and lower with the lower being a monolithic - other guys are not doing this.  The gun got great reviews at SHOT show 2017 and more calibers are coming.  We talked with some ATF guys and they told us this is the only gun with this design on the market.  So it might take a little while for the marketing guys to spread the word but it is coming.  Already had guys putting 5000 to 7000 rounds through their guns and loving them.  Best home defense gun you will find - men, woman, elderly can all fire this weapon under control and empty the 25 round mag from the hip if required.  Several dealers in the Texas area so find one that has a demo model and try it out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Would be more interesting with a 5" barrel and a handguard long enough to cover a TiRant 45S.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow I like that.  

I may have overlooked it but how much?

And what mags do they take?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
They make a pistol and SBR with a 10 inch barrel.

They were also showing model with a integrated suppressor pinned so if/when the HPA passes they will have a no stamp suppressed rifle with a barrel/suppressor at 16 inches.

They take there own mags. They are stainless steel double stack 25 rounders but I can easily put 26 in and they feed great. I think there on the website for $50 or less. My local dealer was selling them to me for $45 when you buy the rifle from them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would be more interesting with a 5" barrel and a handguard long enough to cover a TiRant 45S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
They make a pistol and SBR with a 10 inch barrel.

I don't know shit about 45acp ballistics but 10" seems awkward. Like with 9mm, 16" to avoid NFA or 5" to remain compact and reap the benefits of NFA hoops.
They take there own mags. They are stainless steel double stack 25 rounders but I can easily put 26 in and they feed great. I think there on the website for $50 or less. My local dealer was selling them to me for $45 when you buy the rifle from them.
proprietary mags for $45 ea? Is their middle name B&T? A company I've never heard of selling their own mags? Sounds like a gamble IMHO.

Glad to see innovation none the less. Enjoy your new gun, OP
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Reciprocating charging handle? That's the main thing I don't love, but I think I could live with it I'd love to have this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The magazines being proprietary was the only thing that made me hesitate. But I don't have any other rifles that use a proprietary magazine so I rolled the dice. They are made very well and I plan on getting a bunch of them.

Flint River has said they did it because there wasn't a double stack single feed .45acp magazine with a capacity of 25 rounds or more and that they didn't want to make design compromises by having to design the action/gun around an existing magazine.

So far the rifle has been a pleasure to shoot and is running great. It appears to be doing very well, many other new rifle designs seem to have major growing pains and this thing hasnt. I know I have only put 500 rounds through it,  but so far it's been excellent. I also have spare parts for the wear items that are not  common with an AR.

I saw this rifle at a local gun store. I inspected it at the shop and it appeared to be very well though out and very well made. I left the store and looked at the few videos and reviews I could find on the internet. When that didn't quite convince me I sent an email to them with some questions. Mr Charlie Groves the CEO answered my emails and even spent about an hour on the phone with me talking about the rifle and just gun guy stuff. When I wanted some spare parts he referred me to one of the engineers named Dennis who answered my emails promptly and also spent time on the phone with me.

I know they can do this because they are a new and small company, but they were just plain great guys who went above and beyond to answer questions and take care of a potential customer and then a customer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#9]
This thing looks like hot sex in the sun. I was considering a MPX after returning from deployment but I really like how this guy looks. Very innovative.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
It feels very sturdy with that monolithic lower receiver. It would definitely make a good club.

It also balances very well with not much weight past the magazine well. The piston system only goes a few inches past the way well.

If any one would like more photos of the rifle (gas port, magazine take down ECT.) Just let me know and I'll post them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the rifle use a proprietary stock?  Looking at their webpage it looks like the pistol uses a more conventional receiver extension. If one were to SBR the piston could you change that to an ar style tube?

@ClickClickBoom1

@CSA45
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The rifle does use its own stock.

They will sell you a short barrel and hand guard.

They have factory SBR's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The rifle does use its own stock.

They will sell you a short barrel and hand guard.

They have factory SBR's.
View Quote

This is the pistol version I'm talking about.
Attachment Attached File

Looks like it comes with an arm brace. I wonder if this tube can be swapped to something else?  It's hard to understand the decision to use proprietary stock setup when it's basically an ar. Seems like more trouble that way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe the pistol buffer tube is part of the reciever. I understand why they did the "monolithic" lower as it makes a stronger buffer tube and as fewer parts. What I would have liked to have seen them do is cut the reciever for an AR stock on the rifle the way they did for the pistol version.

It looks More like an AR than it really is.

Im digging it so far. It's very soft shooting, balances and points well. Most PCC's have a lot of proprietary parts so this rifles quarks bother me much less than on other AR based guns. I like the fact that it's different yet feels familiar. I got it looking for a range, ranch gun and have been rewarded with a very reliable well built carbine. (After today I'm getting close to a 1000 rounds down range)

I may add the pistol in 45 and the 9mm is soon to be available. They told me 10mm will follow the 9. I'm super excited for a 10!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I believe the pistol buffer tube is part of the reciever. I understand why they did the "monolithic" lower as it makes a stronger buffer tube and as fewer parts. What I would have liked to have seen them do is cut the reciever for an AR stock on the rifle the way they did for the pistol version.

It looks More like an AR than it really is.

Im digging it so far. It's very soft shooting, balances and points well. Most PCC's have a lot of proprietary parts so this rifles quarks bother me much less than on other AR based guns. I like the fact that it's different yet feels familiar. I got it looking for a range, ranch gun and have been rewarded with a very reliable well built carbine. (After today I'm getting close to a 1000 rounds down range)

I may add the pistol in 45 and the 9mm is soon to be available. They told me 10mm will follow the 9. I'm super excited for a 10!
View Quote

Good deal, the 10mm sounds cool. I hope they do well. Looks they're only about 45 minutes north of me. Might have to go check them out one of these days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:15:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking piece and I hope this works out for everyone.

But, just for fun, get the company's address and look up their "Corporate Office" in street view on Google Maps.  I hope they make it, its a tough business to break into. I am old and don't want to be a Beta Tester anymore. Been there, done that, had too many orphaned firearms over the years. Maybe these guys will succeed, I hope they do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the fire arms business is an off shoot or part of another company. The gun is marked with another address and the parts shipped from the following address...

Flint River Armory /

D & D Design & Machine

195 Comm Scope Way

Scottsboro, AL 35769
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a nice looking gun.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Neat!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think your made a smart purchase with this one.  Most people realize this is a GAS PISTON - ROTARY BOLT design.  This is NOT the standard blow back gun or a conversion gun.  The gun is billet cut upper, gas block, and lower with the lower being a monolithic - other guys are not doing this.  The gun got great reviews at SHOT show 2017 and more calibers are coming.  We talked with some ATF guys and they told us this is the only gun with this design on the market.  So it might take a little while for the marketing guys to spread the word but it is coming.  Already had guys putting 5000 to 7000 rounds through their guns and loving them.  Best home defense gun you will find - men, woman, elderly can all fire this weapon under control and empty the 25 round mag from the hip if required.  Several dealers in the Texas area so find one that has a demo model and try it out.
View Quote
So, are you the owner of the company?  Or do you work for them?

Looks like a nice gun, but this thread seems a bit shilly given the post counts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, are you the owner of the company?  Or do you work for them?
Looks like a nice gun, but this thread seems a bit shilly given the post counts.
View Quote

Screen name, same state, first post, I'd say it's safe to assume that he is associated with the company.
CSA45, if you haven't read the rules yet, check out the CoC button near the top.
Industry members will need to pay to advertise, so be careful until then.

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I get the "shill" vibe but I have been on this forum for about  10 years. I mostly read the threads as I don't post much. I just noticed that the Pistol Caliber Carbine section had turned into the CZ Scorpion forum and when I was happy with the gun and the guys at Flint River and couldn't find anything on this forum about it I figured I had something to share.

I am not as affiliated with Flint River other than being a customer. I used to work for a large national chain of Hunting and Out Door sports store that has a large hunting and fire arms department and now I sell and race bicycles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I get the "shill" vibe but I have been on this forum for about  10 years. I mostly read the threads as I don't post much. I just noticed that the Pistol Caliber Carbine section had turned into the CZ Scorpion forum and when I was happy with the gun and the guys at Flint River and couldn't find anything on this forum about it I figured I had something to share.

I am not as affiliated with Flint River other than being a customer. I used to work for a large national chain of Hunting and Out Door sports store that has a large hunting and fire arms department and now I sell and race bicycles.
View Quote
It wasn't your post that got that got my spider senses tingling, it was the first post by CSA45 that seemed like an infomercial.

I like the part about the elderly firing from the hip the best.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#24]
That looks really cool but all those unique parts...

I bet that fucker costs more than my truck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the point could have been phrased better by CSA45.

It is a very light recoiling gun. It "feels" like half the recoil of a blow back .45 ACP Carbine. I  know my sense of "feel" isn't measurable or scientific but it's my experience. It also stays on target better than my friends Kriss Vector in .45 I shot.

I think the rifle retails for $1750 with the fancy FDE finish. Then add BUIS, grip, afg, rail protectors, Trijicon MRO, extra mags and that fancy "breecher flash hider" from Just Right Carbines and it adds up to a close $2700 MSRP.... But who pays msrp? The dealer I got it from got the FDE rifle at no extra charge because they purchased a certain number of rifles ftom Flint River so the dealer passed the savings on to me, but it still was around $1500 before the add ons. The rest of the items on the gun were found at the best deals available online and at the local gun shows.

Yes, there are less exspensive options and if I could only afford one nice long gun it wouldn't have been this one. But I already have the normal "should have" rifles covered so I went with this. I think most of us have a few items that although reliable and useful are not the most cost effective or ideal long gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#27]
They use there own magazine. They are stainless steel double stack single feed 25 round magazinez. I'll snap some detailed pics of the magazines later tonight and post them.

I'm also going to try the binary trigger in this thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is a video of a SBR version with the BFSIII Binary Trigger. Click on the link.

BFSIII
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Here are the photos of the proprietary magazine.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#30]
5/8x24 barrel threads or something different?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#31]
It is .578 x 28 RH.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry if any rule might have been broken.  I rarely post or comment on any forum but when I seen the pics just thought I would give some details about the gun.  I have been a 1000 yd guy for many years but I own one of these guns and have shot endless rounds through it.  My family loves to shoot and my young grandchildren can also shoot this with no issues.  My parents are elderly and can shoot this gun, that is where that comment came from.  The guy who made the original post did not give details about the gun just thought I would add some.  So if you feel the need you can remove the comment no hard feeling and sorry to impose, just backing up the guy who made the original post.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a nice looking rifle, but as I already own an SBR'd Thompson, a USC/UMP conversion, and a B&T45, I think I can say with some experience, the .45ACP is just lame for a carbine despite it's knockdown potential. Under 50 yards it's great, over...not so much (think howitzer lob). Add the price tag, and proprietary magazines (still smarting from the B&T), I think I'll pass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#34]
That mag looks like a lengthened Reising SMG mag. Reising mags came in 12rd or 20rds. I made a prototype lower that used Reising mags in 2005. Got a video somewhere on youtube.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a nice looking rifle, but as I already own an SBR'd Thompson, a USC/UMP conversion, and a B&T45, I think I can say with some experience, the .45ACP is just lame for a carbine despite it's knockdown potential. Under 50 yards it's great, over...not so much (think howitzer lob). Add the price tag, and proprietary magazines (still smarting from the B&T), I think I'll pass.
View Quote

I normally sight mine in at 100yd, don't have to worry about hold-over so much
It groups about 5" horizontal and 10" vertical at 100yd with Silver Bear FMJ, should tell you something about it's consistency
This was all before I finished up the can, haven't shot it that far since then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't have a .45 carbine and the CSA45 looked interesting so I gave it a shot and I'm very happy with it so far.

I installed the Franklin armory BFSIII trigger today and after a few mags of practice the gunsmith and I were able to out run the full auto grease gun they rent at the range. (The gunsmith said that the grease gun is the slowest machine gun they rent)I was able to mag dump all 25 rounds with every round hitting a silhouette at 15 yards.

The normal trigger pull is better than any factory AR15 trigger I have tried and in "binary" mode it's more than a gimmick. It allows very fast double tap/follow up shots and can also waste lots of money making you smile. This trigger is perfect in a pistol caliber carbine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I like it, and the price seems a bit high for MSRP, but maybe that is just me. It appears to be a good design. Not a fan of the proprietary mags but then again I am also one of the dumbasses that bought an MPX Gen 2.

I'd love to shoot one to try it, but it would be a hard jump for me to want to buy one at this point. It does look nice though and lots of thought put into it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Iraq veteran iv8888 did a good review on the CSA45. Its worth a watch if your interested in this gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top