Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2016 8:13:03 AM EDT
Looking to get into a 9mm PPC . MP5 clones are north of $1200 so my second choice is a EVO which still seems high at $1000. I've looked at other options, AR15 9mm, almost as much as the EVO with more costly mags. Kel-tec sub 2000, cheaper, but really doesn't appeal to me, and while I may be wrong, I question the durability . And finally the Hi-Point carbine, cheap, but ugly and low capacity. That brings me back to the EVO, seems all reviews are positive, just seems a little over priced for what it is never the less. I was hoping to get one next year once the price  settled in like the pistols did, but that may not be an option with the election and the freak out buying, and God knows what laws will come. So what says the hive ? Let's hear some input. -Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Couple of points.

Deals on The Evo can be had especially the pistol. I picked up a used one lnib for around $600.

AR carbines are cheaper than ever and can be built to use Glock mags which are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Evo, but a 9mm AR carbine using Glock mags is the way to go. Evo reliability has been spotty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
the right side ambi safety of the CZ digs into my hand... my AR 9mm carbine with billet Glock lower was under $800 w/o scope
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the Evo, but a 9mm AR carbine using Glock mags is the way to go. Evo reliability has been spotty.
View Quote

Details about reliability problems?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the right side ambi safety of the CZ digs into my hand... my AR 9mm carbine with billet Glock lower was under $800 w/o scope
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

13 dollar ambi delete from HB Industries fixes that.  

Quoted:

What reliability issues?  Mine's run like a sewing machine since I bought it.  Eats whatever ammo i feed it.

OP: You can get a 9mm AR for less than the Scorpion Carbine right now.  There are a few lowers that will take Glock Mags also, which brings down the mag price.  I may end up picking one up eventually, but I love my Scorpion Carbine.  The blowback design works great, it's amazingly accurate, and super easy to clean.  I love my AR's, but for my first Pistol Caliber Carbine I wanted something a little different.

My only complaint is that the factory front sight can bottom out and get stuck there if you're not careful.  But I'm running a RDS anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are the AR 9mm kits ? I have stripped lowers, do the kits come with a mag adaptor. I still like the EVO, for that "different" look and feel but a good deal on a reliable AR 9mm could sway me. I haven't heard of any reliability issues with the EVO, and if there was I hear CZ will resolve any such issues.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would I ever buy a pistol caliber carbine when I can grab my AR? Because it is so cool I bought a Scorpion carbine last week and I love it.  I snagged a bunch of spare mags and put an $80 bushnell red dot on it, and it is pretty much GTG.  

I've got about 500 rounds though the CZ without a hiccup.  The stock ambi safety is a little bitey on my thumb like others said, but it's not that big a deal because you can move your hand down the grip a bit.  

If I ever get around to it the CZ would make a good candidate for two tax stamps, SBR+ a supressor.

It is a neat gun and you should buy one :-)

Sudboy
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought an EVO Carbine at Academy for $1069 OTD.

I already have a Sub2k (which I love) and plenty of ARs (none in pistol calibers) so I jumped on the EVO because it's different. It's rare I drop that much coin on one firearm, but buy once cry once I guess.

Haven't shot it yet but it feels super nice, everything is solid. The grand plan is to SBR it and get a can, too. Oh, and mine has the pencil barrel, not the faux suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just bought an EVO Carbine at Academy for $1069 OTD.

I already have a Sub2k (which I love) and plenty of ARs (none in pistol calibers) so I jumped on the EVO because it's different. It's rare I drop that much coin on one firearm, but buy once cry once I guess.

Haven't shot it yet but it feels super nice, everything is solid. The grand plan is to SBR it and get a can, too. Oh, and mine has the pencil barrel, not the faux suppressor.
View Quote

That's were I'm at. On a limited budget too , but nothing else is really on my radar at the time. Also that feeling of missing the bus so to speak is in the back of my mind as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What reliability issues?  Mine's run like a sewing machine since I bought it.  Eats whatever ammo i feed it.

OP: You can get a 9mm AR for less than the Scorpion Carbine right now.  There are a few lowers that will take Glock Mags also, which brings down the mag price.  I may end up picking one up eventually, but I love my Scorpion Carbine.  The blowback design works great, it's amazingly accurate, and super easy to clean.  I love my AR's, but for my first Pistol Caliber Carbine I wanted something a little different.

My only complaint is that the factory front sight can bottom out and get stuck there if you're not careful.  But I'm running a RDS anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess ypu haven't been following the soft metal issues on hammers, and parts cracking? Not sure if the Gen 2 are free of any issues, but I have seen threads on various small issues on EVO's here and other forums.

And, for the record, I own one. But no need to be defensive about it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have BOTH a 9mm AR and the Evo Carbine.

Price: Wash. By the time you build a complete 9mm AR, you're at about a grand. Mags are cheap for both (Evo: $20, ASC AR mags are $14).

Ergos: Wash. AR is familiar to most, LRBHO works on the AR if you use Colt mags. Evo ergos to me are great out of the box, but some change the safety and grip, which are both cheap.

Reliability: Evo by a mile. ARs usually require some tinkering to get the BHO to work, and some are plagued by all sorts of issues. Bolt catches tend to break unless you tune the buffer. That said, do it right, and they are 100%. Evo had a bad run of magazines, but the issue is not nearly as widespread as many would have you believe - new production mags are 100%. Careful what you read (i.e. above) - there are no hammer issues or cracked part issues, unless you count a sample size of one or two.

Lego-ability: AR wins here by a long shot, but the Evo is slowly catching up. Evo has various grips and safeties now, handguards coming, but no barrels yet.

Recoil: Evo wins, by a good margin. The AR recoils harder.

Suppressor-friendly: Evo by a mile. The Evo is queiter, and has zero gas to the face. I shoot mine without glasses. I've tuned my AR to have almost no gas to the face, but it's noticeably louder.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The gun is a blast.  Easy to clean, easy to shoot, and accurate for a PCC.  I have about 700 rounds through mine with no cleaning (post initial cleaning) and it runs like a top.  No fooling with buffers, springs, bolt catches, etc to make it run 100%.  It's purpose built to be a PCC and is a different flavor than an AR9.  Buy with confidence (also with quickness, don't want to get caught in the election nonsense).
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Evo all day !
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Who's had trouble with an Evo? Mines never missed a beat, by far my favorite gun purchase so far.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Must have!

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
love mine, bought it last week for $999 bucks at an Academy which just opened here in St Louis.

Fast handling, easy shooting, 400 rounds thru it with out a hitch.  easy to clean. simply operation.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top