Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2016 6:00:17 AM EDT
I have wanted a PCC in 45ACP for close to 10 years. The problem I have run into is all candidates have been expensive, junk, heavy, or all of the above. I have a Beretta CX4 in 9mm, it has been a good gun but I paid too much for it. I have looked at the current offerings in 45ACP and here's what I have come up with.

Kriss- Probably a great unit but its ugly as hell and quite expensive at $1200 plus

JRC- When they were first released they had function issues. When I handled one I was underwhelmed with the quality of construction. I just cant bring myself to pay $700 plus for it.

Auto Ords new lightweight Thompson M1C- At 10.5 pounds it's hardly light. Once again $700 plus dollars and the mags are really expensive too. Poor optics mounting options too.

AR Platform- There are several out there but I haven't heard a whole lot positive on any of them. In all likelihood you drop 1k on one of these and have to work the kinks out. Just not feeling the love.

Beretta CX4 8045 configuration- This would be a good choice as I own the pistol and already have mags. Unfortunately they are out of production, somewhat hard to find and expensive.

Hi-Point Carbine- Ugly but cheap. My research finds very few problems with them and they seem fairly accurate as well as reliable. I can get a 1911 mag catch for $30 and use my 1911 mags in it. I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy one.

Your mission- Talk me out of buying a Hi-point carbine in 45ACP. Tell me the tales of horror.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an Oly Arms .45 upper and it's never given me problems. It's a kick in the butt to shoot. It takes their proprietary mags  or Grease Gun mags. Theirs has a big box like attachment to fill in a standard AR mag well. Ugly, bulky and expensive. The problem with Grease Gun mags is they are too wide to fit in an AR mag well. Unless you remove the reinforcement fold around the feed lips. Or use a CavArms lower. This is what I did.

Old pic of it and son in law.

But not all CavArms lowers take the M3 mags easily. That blue one takes them great. My CavAid lower is much tighter and even with sanding and filing I still popped the front seam.

A buddy of mine had a HiPoint 9mm carbine years ago and while ugly it shot like a house afire. I swore if they ever made one in .45 I would grab one. But I had my AR built a year or two before they got around to making one.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Do it! I have a 9mm and a 45acp, both fun as hell!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Oly Arms .45 upper and it's never given me problems. It's a kick in the butt to shoot. It takes their proprietary mags  or Grease Gun mags. Theirs has a big box like attachment to fill in a standard AR mag well. Ugly, bulky and expensive. The problem with Grease Gun mags is they are too wide to fit in an AR mag well. Unless you remove the reinforcement fold around the feed lips. Or use a CavArms lower. This is what I did.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/IMAG0112.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/IMAG0112.jpg</a>

Old pic of it and son in law.

But not all CavArms lowers take the M3 mags easily. That blue one takes them great. My CavAid lower is much tighter and even with sanding and filing I still popped the front seam.

A buddy of mine had a HiPoint 9mm carbine years ago and while ugly it shot like a house afire. I swore if they ever made one in .45 I would grab one. But I had my AR built a year or two before they got around to making one.

View Quote

I almost bought the Olympic arms set-up years ago, but magazine availability was and sometimes still is an issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Another option could be the HK USC.. But Its probably going to be expensive as all HK products.
I would stick with the AR platform
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a 1911--mech tech conversion?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the TNW Aero Precision Rifle or pistol?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: But not all CavArms lowers take the M3 mags easily. That blue one takes them great. My CavAid lower is much tighter and even with sanding and filing I still popped the front seam.
View Quote

The Cav Arms Mk 2 ($60 Sabre Defense, GWACS) takes M3 mags no problem.  The ARFCOM CavAid lower I have is a Mk 1, not sure it was intended to take Grease Gun mags.

You still have your CavAid lower?  I've got one complete that I was going to try to split for Fruity Ghost purposes.  It would be easier for me to split one that's already started.  We'd have to do shipping & FFL fees, etc.

OP, this is all you need to know about the HiPoint .45" carbine:

1911 mag catch

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
i have a Macon Armory 45 ACP upper. Its an 8 inch barrel with 15 inch samson rail. Of course i have my Tirant inside the handguard. They have them in 16 inch also if u dont have an sbr. Has mag block and mags all custom from them. runs great. check them out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't call the vector ugly...I would call it "unique"!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi points may not win a beauty  contest. They will have best warranty I've ever dealt with, and accuracy out of my 995 carbine is hard to beat. For what they cost hipoint is amazing for what you get. Downsides is lack of aftermarket support  like different stocks, and such accesseries. I have a scorpion and I still have my hipoint as its to accurate for me to let it go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#11]
A lot of suggestions here for me to research. 1974- that's a good looking unit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about the TNW Aero Precision Rifle or pistol?
View Quote

This looks very tempting. I'm going to do a little more research but this looks like a good unit and a good value. It looks well built and uses Glock 21 mags which I have piled up. All in all a great suggestion, thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Take another look at the JRC.
I have one in 9mm cause I have g18 mags.
It has almost a thousand rounds through it both suppressed and not, no issues at all.
They now offer an SBR in .45, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#14]
If you think $700 is too much for a reliable firearm in an uncommon style (.45 PCC's just aren't that common) then you need a reality check.

I have owned and extensively used my JRC in 9mm for some years now. For me it was a bargain as its 100% reliable and the most accurate PCC I have.

The Hi-Point is not pretty but it works. I have owned them since they came out and they have to be the best "bang for the buck" out here. No, its not my favorite PCC but it is worth more than it cost. Its a beater truck rifle if there ever was one. I am amazed at how they can build something that can sell for so little money yet actually work so reliably.

The TNW ASR is another worthy consideration. I have one of the first ones built and its running strong. While miles above the lowly Hi-Point its not by any means  a fancy rifle but its well made and dependable.

Ugly is not a strong enough word for what I feel about the Kriss. BTW: Did they ever get them to work right?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you think $700 is too much for a reliable firearm in an uncommon style (.45 PCC's just aren't that common) then you need a reality check.

I have owned and extensively used my JRC in 9mm for some years now. For me it was a bargain as its 100% reliable and the most accurate PCC I have.

The Hi-Point is not pretty but it works. I have owned them since they came out and they have to be the best "bang for the buck" out here. No, its not my favorite PCC but it is worth more than it cost. Its a beater truck rifle if there ever was one. I am amazed at how they can build something that can sell for so little money yet actually work so reliably.

The TNW ASR is another worthy consideration. I have one of the first ones built and its running strong. While miles above the lowly Hi-Point its not by any means  a fancy rifle but its well made and dependable.

Ugly is not a strong enough word for what I feel about the Kriss. BTW: Did they ever get them to work right?
View Quote

I have an SBR'd Kriss in 45ACP that has run 100% since day one, so I guess they worked out whatever problems they had.  I also have a Thompson that I SBR'd to look like a 1921 model.  Love this gun and don't care about the weight (13 lbs.) as it is a copy of a piece of history.  Not everything has to be as light as a feather.  I had the lighter weight aluminum Thompson and promptly sold it.  DO NOT BUY ONE is my recommendation.  The aluminum upper and lower stretched so badly with only 500 rounds through it that it would rattle and had a ton of FTE's and FTF's.  It was fine for the first 100 rounds but after 500 it was junk.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've built two 9mm ARs through PSA for less than $600 each.    Can't beat a glock lowered 9mm AR.   Both run flawlessly, suppressed or not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Who makes an AR lower that runs Glock 21 .45 caliber mags?
Also recommend a .45 6" to.10" upper for a pistol build.
30+ rounds of .45 in an AR would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who makes an AR lower that runs Glock 21 .45 caliber mags?
Also recommend a .45 6" to.10" upper for a pistol build.
30+ rounds of .45 in an AR would be nice.
View Quote

QC 10.  For uppers, see Mad Machinist.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top