Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2016 2:57:57 PM EDT
I will be getting my TNW ASR rifle in next week and I was wondering who here has one and what you think? I don't see them talked about much here or anywhere really. I got the 9mm 45acp and 10mm conversion kits. I was thinking of putting a Vortex Prism x3 on it or a Prism x1 with magnifer if go with the 2nd choice would there be enough room to put some folding iron sights on it as well?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the ASR pistol.  For a while it was great to shoot.  Lately I have been getting FTE after FTE out of it.  Strange thing is if I insert the mag on a closed bolt I have very few of the FTE problems.  If I insert the mag and then release the bolt, chambering a round, I seem to get repeated FTE issues.  I called TNW on Monday and described the problem.  They said they were aware of a similar issue and have "recently" made changes to the extractor and a few other parts.  The phone rep was very nice and asked for my serial #.  I provided it and she immediately had a list of new parts ordered for me and they have been sent out 3 day express, supposedly arriving on my door step tomorrow according to the tracking label info.  No charge for the parts or shipping.  She also told me that if the parts don't remedy the issue they will issue a call tag to have the pistol sent back to them for further inspection.

So, I will say that when it runs, it is a great little plinker.  Since the FTE issue has surfaced it has been a POS.  We will see if the new parts take care of the issue.  I can say that so far their CS has been excellent and they provide a lifetime warranty on their products.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I started out with a 9mm pistol and then bought a multi-caliber pistol package. I then bought the required parts to run 9mm, .357SIG, .40, and 10mm as a rifle or pistol.

In the everything but the 10mm rifle, it runs and I get decent accuracy with my handloads. With the 10mm rifle, I'm less than pleased with the accuracy, even with my handloads- 10 MOA or worse. All loads were tested from a bench with a rest, bag and 4.5X scope.

I have had an issue with one of the 45/ 10mm trigger housings (working on getting that resolved now). An older housing works fine but a newer one has been problematic with feeding issues. With the older housing, the mag locks in solidly. The newer housing allows the mag to move mag to move. If I push up on the mag while shooting, there are no feeding issues. If I don't, I get feeding issues with each round. Granted I didn't test my theory extensively because I didn't want to damage more than the 8 pieces of brass which I already have to scrap.

I have already sent the problematic trigger housing back once and it was returned saying they found no issues. I still experienced the same problem and it is back with them now.

Except for the trigger housing and no bolt lock back after the last round, I really like the weapon system.

For multiple calibers, I found it nice to have extra bolt bodies so each caliber can have a complete bolt assembly. Easier and quicker to make caliber changes that way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought the pistol version in 9mm.  Right out of the box it has multiple failures to eject.  It feeds and extracts fine, but won't eject reliably at all.  I sent TNW an email about it, including pics of the failures and my serial #.  They responded 'It sounds like you need an updated revision ejection kit. This includes a new extractor with spring and roll pin, as well as a new ejector and roll pins', and will be sending me those without charge.   Hopefully this fixes it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently bought the pistol version in 9mm.  Right out of the box it has multiple failures to eject.  It feeds and extracts fine, but won't eject reliably at all.  I sent TNW an email about it, including pics of the failures and my serial #.  They responded 'It sounds like you need an updated revision ejection kit. This includes a new extractor with spring and roll pin, as well as a new ejector and roll pins', and will be sending me those without charge.   Hopefully this fixes it.
View Quote

This is exactly what they are sending me.  It was supposed to be here on 13 Oct.  

ETA-  I received the new parts, installed them (which was easy) and now the problem is the same or even a little worse.  I loaded up a 30 round Glock (factory) mag and had seven FTE/doublefeed issues.  I have emailed and called the company and gotten no response but it has only been a 36 hrs.  I have seen videos of these things run excellently and they get decent reviews.  I really hope the company comes through and makes this right.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is exactly what they are sending me.  It was supposed to be here on 13 Oct.  

ETA-  I received the new parts, installed them (which was easy) and now the problem is the same or even a little worse.  I loaded up a 30 round Glock (factory) mag and had seven FTE/doublefeed issues.  I have emailed and called the company and gotten no response but it has only been a 36 hrs.  I have seen videos of these things run excellently and they get decent reviews.  I really hope the company comes through and makes this right.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any response from TNW yet?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent an email to them about 5pm (ET) inquiring about the status.  I received back about 45 min later an email saying I would receive a RA shipping label on Monday to send it back to them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I was an early adopter of the TNW ASR as a local distributor use to carry them. Mine is one of the first 200 they produced. At first I had a few issues with it but I sent it back a year or so ago and it had some "updates". Since then it has run fine and I have no complaints. I don't shoot it a lot as I have four other PCC's but I hang on to it as I like the size and weight.

As for the original post:

The time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy the item...not after!   But, since you asked. I have a red dot on mine and it works just fine. As for iron sights, I have never attempted to use them as there is little room for them. Remember the barrel unscrews and comes off making the rifle very compact. There is only a short rail to mount sights on and my optic fills up most of that. Also, the sight height would need to be high as its a very straight plane from the barrel directly into the stock. Your cheek weld is high up due to this. The rifle (when I got mine) came with a cheap scope and high mounts. I never used the Chink $20 scope or mounts and just went with a decent red dot on a mount made for an AR. That set up served me well.

My rifle functions quite well and I have no complaints since they reworked it last year. Again, I do shoot 1,000 rounds a week or anything so maybe I haven't run into this problem yet due to my low use of it. I do like the rifle a lot but am very aware of its short comings as well as its strengths. Fun little carbine that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have had an issue with one of the 45/ 10mm trigger housings (working on getting that resolved now). An older housing works fine but a newer one has been problematic with feeding issues. With the older housing, the mag locks in solidly. The newer housing allows the mag to move mag to move. If I push up on the mag while shooting, there are no feeding issues. If I don't, I get feeding issues with each round. Granted I didn't test my theory extensively because I didn't want to damage more than the 8 pieces of brass which I already have to scrap.

I have already sent the problematic trigger housing back once and it was returned saying they found no issues. I still experienced the same problem and it is back with them now.
View Quote

I received the trigger housing, included with it was an extractor and spring. Nothing had been changed with the trigger housing, the mag still had vertical movement in it. I tried the housing as is and still had the same malfunctions. A malfunction with almost every round.

I replaced the extractor and tried 50 rounds through it. I had one failure to feed, otherwise, it functioned perfectly. So it appears my issues, all along, were extractor issues.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

UPDATE:  Replaced the ejector with the upgraded one.  Problem continues.  Next, I will replace the extractor and spring.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I will be getting my TNW ASR rifle in next week and I was wondering who here has one and what you think? I don't see them talked about much here or anywhere really. I got the 9mm 45acp and 10mm conversion kits. I was thinking of putting a Vortex Prism x3 on it or a Prism x1 with magnifer if go with the 2nd choice would there be enough room to put some folding iron sights on it as well?

Thanks
View Quote

I picked up the 10mm version and made a quick visit to the range over the weekend. I had a few FTEs in about 1 in every 8 shots and noticed that the ejection pattern was all over the place.  I had no problem hitting 8" in plates at 50 yards. Power was plenty, in fact it even enough to bruise my shoulder.

First impression was that the build quailty was just OK and design could have been better. The barrel threaded on OK but it didn't lock in place without a few wraps of white PTFE thread seal tape.The stock snd grip definitely are cheap, as is the scope. For s $700 rifle I would have expected basic Magpul furniture. Also, I thought running iron sites but decided against it due to the short rail.

For it's intended purpose, the ASR does the job.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

UPDATE:  Replaced the ejector with the upgraded one.  Problem continues.  Next, I will replace the extractor and spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same issue.  They sent me a parts kit that included a new ejector some roll pins and spring.  Replaced all the parts (pretty straight forward) and same problem.  I contacted them again and they sent me a return authorization and shipping label.  They received my pistol back at their location on 11/04/16.  I haven't heard anything from them yet.  I figure two weeks will be the point when I inquire as to the status.  So far the company has been pretty decent to work with and responsive to my issue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have the same issue.  They sent me a parts kit that included a new ejector some roll pins and spring.  Replaced all the parts (pretty straight forward) and same problem.  I contacted them again and they sent me a return authorization and shipping label.  They received my pistol back at their location on 11/04/16.  I haven't heard anything from them yet.  I figure two weeks will be the point when I inquire as to the status.  So far the company has been pretty decent to work with and responsive to my issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPDATE 2:  I replaced the extractor and spring.  Unreliable ejection continues.  Called TNW, and got a return shipping label sent via email.  Printed it off and shipped it today.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#13]
So TNW received my pistol back at their location on 11/04/16.  At the almost four week mark I started making inquires about what was up with my gun.  To date I have heard a couple of "I will have an answer for you today" emails but nothing yet.  Tomorrow I will be making a call to the president of the company as I have had it with them.  I either want my repaired firearm back or want my money back from them.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So TNW received my pistol back at their location on 11/04/16.  At the almost four week mark I started making inquires about what was up with my gun.  To date I have heard a couple of "I will have an answer for you today" emails but nothing yet.  Tomorrow I will be making a call to the president of the company as I have had it with them.  I either want my repaired firearm back or want my money back from them.  Sigh.
View Quote

Pick up the phone and actually call them. Talk to a human there, your response will be a lot better. Ask me how I know that......
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pick up the phone and actually call them. Talk to a human there, your response will be a lot better. Ask me how I know that......
View Quote

Today, I just got an email from "Jaime Vealey" <[email protected]> with a UPS tracking link for the return of my ASP.   Hopefully that means yours is on its way soon too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a voicemail today from someone there and was advised that they made repairs and it is shipping out tomorrow.  I have the tracking number so we will see....
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Well the wait was longer than I wanted but I got it back today.  Ran two mags through it as fast as I could pull the trigger with no issue at all.  The replaced that bolt and a couple other pieces and it runs great!  Perfect truck gun again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well the wait was longer than I wanted but I got it back today.  Ran two mags through it as fast as I could pull the trigger with no issue at all.  The replaced that bolt and a couple other pieces and it runs great!  Perfect truck gun again.
View Quote

Glad they got it sorted out for you. I had issues with mine at first and after they serviced it she runs great. Just had it at the range yesterday along with my Ber. CX-4 and Sub2k G2 to refresh my memory of how they compared. The ASR holds her own and shot very well and 100% trouble free. I like the size and weight of that rifle. I did put the two-stage trigger in mine, but that is a personal thing, its not the feel for everyone. I am still happy with the firearm and always enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the ASR design problem is nicely corrected with this handguard extention. Now there is finally a way to lock the barrel so it doesn't get loose. Also, the extra length is a welcome addition for running flip up sights. Anyone get their paws on one of these yet?

TNW HANDGUARD 6 and How to Install
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a good idea, especially considering the barrel creep that this little rifle has. ( I wondered if anyone else had that problem).  I wish it was a bit less expensive. At $140 its not cheap, but then its the only show in town so they can ask what they want. Looks like they are on two to three week backorder at the moment.

I am still waiting for the .22 and .22 Mag conversion kit they were working on a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one and really didn't like it. I love pcc rifles, but this one didn't do it for me. I've owned a few different ones and have two that I compare all to.

Partially my problem of high expectations I think, but partially the rifle. I bought one that was plagued with problems (knew going in, wanted to fix)fired a mag and sold it to another guy ( who I disclosed everything to) It had a once updated extractor and everything.

The breakdown design was neat, but I wasn't impressed with the trigger. I was expecting an ar trigger. Not that little toothpick thing that happened to trip a hammer.
The charging handle was way too small to get any useful leverage on for the mrs.  The pistol grip was small even for her, and in contrast, the cheap collapsible stock just didn't work with what the rifle was trying to accomplish. I know these can be changed, but up here the rifle is $1K new.

great idea, just imho, poor execution.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#22]
This little rifle is not for everyone.  Have six or seven different PCC's so I have a few to compare. I bought a Just Right Carbine close to the same time as my ASR so its easy to compare those two. My JRC has AR FCG's so you can use most any trigger you like. It has a much better trigger than my little ASR, but the JRC is MUCH heavier. But then all that weight makes the JRC nice and smooth to shoot. Meanwhile my ASR is so light and handy. I have one of the first one's, serial number is less than 150 actually. I did have to sent it back as they made some improvements and they updated it for me. Once it broke in it has functioned 100%, I can not find fault with it.

Its a nice compact little firearm. Mine is petty accurate but I do have the two stage trigger in mine. The trigger is not first class and its one of my peeves with this rifle. But it does function OK so you get use to it as time passes.  The size of the charging handle is not large, granted, but compared to some of my other PCC's its OK. Again, you get use to it in time. I think they didn't want to make it too large and "out there" as it does move with the bolt. My JRC also  has a small handle on the bolt so I guess I am just use to such things.

I also have a Kel-Tec Sub2k G2. Its nice and light also. But I find the ASR to be a much better option than the Sub2k. It feels better, shoots smoother, and is certainly built in a more robust fashion.  Compared to my Beretta CX-4 they are similar in weight and size. The CX-4 doesn't have an AR quality trigger, but with some DIY work you can greatly improve it. The Beretta is well made and very dependable and if I had to pick the better quality rifle over all I would have to go with the Beretta.  But, I don't have to pick just one so I have them all. Each has its place.

I was lucky and got the ASR when it first came out and got it directly from the area distributor at the time. The price was good and part of my evaluation of it is based on the nice price I got. ( a couple hundred under "list" price at the time). If I were buying now and if it were $795 or whatever list is I would likely go spend the money and just get me a new CZ carbine.

My advice on the ASR is to go shoot it. Give it time for you to get use to it and for it to break in. As for the trigger, I think I know how to improve it. I have to work with a friend of mine and make some brass bushings to go in the parts where they fit on the pins. I sold my lathe or I would have them now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Today, I just got an email from "Jaime Vealey" <[email protected]> with a UPS tracking link for the return of my ASP.   Hopefully that means yours is on its way soon too.
View Quote

Late update:  I got the ASP back from TNW, and it runs like a champ now.  They said the replaced the ejector (which I already did the first time around).   But anyways, 2nd time around it runs great now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Late update:  I got the ASP back from TNW, and it runs like a champ now.  They said the replaced the ejector (which I already did the first time around).   But anyways, 2nd time around it runs great now.
View Quote

Great news...enjoy it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Finally got my ASR hand guard that I ordered the end of last year. Initial thoughts are that it is a tad on the heavy side and it could have come with some installation instructions. Luckily, TNW had a video for installation and it was fairly straight forward. My main concern was that it would lock up as tight as possible, which ultimately it did. The side retaining clips do the job to hold the rail in fairly good alignment, as I plan on adding iron sights now that I have a longer sight radius. The feel and texture of the side groove ensure a better grip, too.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]
i have an jr carbine  using a Nikon M223 fits nice

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top