Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2016 8:30:11 PM EDT
I spoke with an undisclosed FFL dealer today who had a Sub2000 Gen2 Glock17 variant in stock.  The guy explained why it is so hard to find.  Basically, Kel-Tec does not sell firearms directly to the end users like us, only to their distributor Davidson's, who owns the website "GalleryofGuns.com".  This means every single sub2000 goes through them.  KelTec has no control over where they go or how much they sell for.  What ends up happening is an FFL dealer wants to stock a sub2000 which flies off the shelf like hotcakes, Davidson's makes them purchase a crappy gun that Davidson's is not able to sell.  If an FFL accepts, they now get stuck with a crappy gun no one wants like a random AR or a KSG or whatever.  This is turning FFLs off to purchasing the Sub2000s because they do not want to eat the cost of having a gun they cannot sell, so they either don't stock sub2000's or they jack the price up (MSRP is $500, minimum I can find for 9mm is $600).  This makes me think Kel-Tec either knows and does not care, or they are ignorant to what Davidson's is doing.  We as customers need to start spreading the word and flooding both Davidson's and KelTec with complains so either KelTec tells Davidson's to stop, KelTec drops Davidson's and finds another primary distributor, or KelTec starts selling directly to the FFLs/end users.

What are your thoughts?

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Smith & Wesson used to do that too.  Want a Model 29 (after the Dirty Harry fame) you had to buy several other revolvers and their crappy Smith & Wesson holsters. (Which no one wanted to buy)
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I spoke with an undisclosed FFL dealer today who had a Sub2000 Gen2 Glock17 variant in stock.  The guy explained why it is so hard to find.  Basically, Kel-Tec does not sell firearms directly to the end users like us, only to their distributor Davidson's, who owns the website "GalleryofGuns.com".  This means every single sub2000 goes through them.  KelTec has no control over where they go or how much they sell for.  What ends up happening is an FFL dealer wants to stock a sub2000 which flies off the shelf like hotcakes, Davidson's makes them purchase a crappy gun that Davidson's is not able to sell.  If an FFL accepts, they now get stuck with a crappy gun no one wants like a random AR or a KSG or whatever.  This is turning FFLs off to purchasing the Sub2000s because they do not want to eat the cost of having a gun they cannot sell, so they either don't stock sub2000's or they jack the price up (MSRP is $500, minimum I can find for 9mm is $600).  This makes me think Kel-Tec either knows and does not care, or they are ignorant to what Davidson's is doing.  We as customers need to start spreading the word and flooding both Davidson's and KelTec with complains so either KelTec tells Davidson's to stop, KelTec drops Davidson's and finds another primary distributor, or KelTec starts selling directly to the FFLs/end users.

What are your thoughts?

View Quote

Your FFL doesn't know what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
"no one wants" KSGs now? Who knew.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

While you may or may not be correct, it's been rumored to happen among a variety of manufacturers
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

While you may or may not be correct, it's been rumored to happen among a variety of manufacturers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

All distributors get sub2k's, but they don't produce alot of them.  The distributors salesmen give them to their best customers.  That's how it works guys.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd bet that the OP's ffl source is not a very big dealer...that's why he doesn't get many.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Davidsons is not the only distributor to get them as mentioned already. Many dealers(or salesman in general) feel the need to make up stories when they can't get what they want.

I see the current Sub2Ks pretty regularly so I don't see what the issue is. Much better availability than the gen 1 guns.

Quoted:

All distributors get sub2k's, but they don't produce alot of them.  The distributors salesmen give them to their best customers.  That's how it works guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

Which basically has the same outcome as OP's story. It wouldn't surprise me if they were being held ransom. I worked at a bigger distributor for a couple years and hard to get items are a hot commodity.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked one of my distributors (not Davidsons), 0 available, but listed on their inventory.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes the after market market is your friend.

Linky
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]
"Bundling" is a very common practice in many, if not all, industries, service as well as manufacturing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

Silentmark is correct.  Your FFL is feeding you lies.  It's an allocated item, and tough to get, and sales people at distributors will prioritize their better/higher paying customers.

KelTec are made in batches, and apparently they haven't done the 9mms in a little while.  When they do, if the OPs dealer has trouble getting them, he relies too heavily on a small number of distributors, and cannot get product, and apparently invents things to cover that up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

View Quote

Maybe he just has the one distributor because he's full of shit.

I can order Kel-Tecs from Acusport, RSR, Chattanooga Shooting Supply, Bangers, etc...

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Complete BS, here's a list of distributors straight from Kel-Tec.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/media/uploaded_files/resources/f_8e991d54dd3cbeec40e5db944d75aa74KT%20Distributors.pdf

A big problem is they do the guns in batches and with the constant demand they have it will lead to a perpetual shortage other than the small window when a decent sized batch hits the market.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

View Quote

This is a convenient lie that we tell people when something is on back order.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

^ At all.......
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been keeping an eye out for a Sub2k for years, but wanted the Beretta/Sig/S&W type. Most were priced WAY over MSRP but I still regret passing on a gen 1 G17 type that was only $20 over MSRP at a local show.

But the rumors of Kel Tec bumping up production may be true, I've seen almost as many gen2s available in the past year as I've seen gen 1s. Most are still overpriced but if supply goes up, price may eventually come down. One of my LGS had two G17 type gen 2s in green posted but they sold in less than 2 days.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I was watching and wanting and still do bercause of glock mags still do a 9mm or .40 sub 2000 since the gen 1 models, and they have always been almost vaporwear unless you wish to pay 9mm ar15 kind of money at times. I refuse to do this as the msrp is so much lower than the going rate for them most days. It is a production issue even if one distributer had them this isnt diamonds they'd sell them all off for their profit as a distributer makes money by distributing the guns they carry not by hoarding them. I know in past panics there have been some companies that hold an exception to this. I think to up the sell price verses their direct manufacter purchase price. I am just saying I waited and waited on one and finally said fuck it and bought a gun being made over ses and imported and yet they are making them as fast as they can and still selling like hot cakes. The cz scorpion is gtg and not to costly either. It's the manufacturer I think if they were out there wed see them for sale otherwise because no money is made by guns sitting in na warehouse that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was watching and wanting and still do bercause of glock mags still do a 9mm or .40 sub 2000 since the gen 1 models, and they have always been almost vaporwear unless you wish to pay 9mm ar15 kind of money at times. I refuse to do this as the msrp is so much lower than the going rate for them most days. It is a production issue even if one distributer had them this isnt diamonds they'd sell them all off for their profit as a distributer makes money by distributing the guns they carry not by hoarding them. I know in past panics there have been some companies that hold an exception to this. I think to up the sell price verses their direct manufacter purchase price. I am just saying I waited and waited on one and finally said fuck it and bought a gun being made over ses and imported and yet they are making them as fast as they can and still selling like hot cakes. The cz scorpion is gtg and not to costly either. It's the manufacturer I think if they were out there wed see them for sale otherwise because no money is made by guns sitting in na warehouse that's for sure.
View Quote

I have seen several people say similar things but have really not ever found the availability of pricing to be as bad as you say. Both used guns I bought for around 300 and the new gen II I think was right at 400. Have never seen one go for AR type money even in the panics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Honestly, we have been getting a lot of S2K 40SW G22 Gen 2 guns the past couple months. We even got a silver one that takes BER96 mags.

The one that I am really looking for is the G17 Gen 2 S2K, but those have been few and far between.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Honestly, we have been getting a lot of S2K 40SW G22 Gen 2 guns the past couple months. We even got a silver one that takes BER96 mags.

The one that I am really looking for is the G17 Gen 2 S2K, but those have been few and far between.
View Quote

Really seems like 4-5 local stores had them at one point. Cabelas had a Gen 1 G22 for 350ish that I almost bought just because. It sat there for several months.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:24:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What are your thoughts?

View Quote

Meh. There are a shit-ton of them on GunBroker every day. The 40 cal bring $50-$100 less than the 9mm variant.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I recently picked up a gen2 glock 17 variant, I paid MSRP for it (gun broker). And while I'm not regretting my purchase I don't think it's deserving of a $500 MSRP, it just doesn't feel like a $500 gun, $350-400 seems more fitting IMO. Then shipping and transfer fees put it a bit over what I originally wanted one for but like I said now that I have it I don't regret it.

It's my first Keltec, and from what I read the gen 2 is a big improvement in quality feel over the gen 1 so no way would I spend close to that price for a gen 1.

For example the slot in the tube that the charging handle rides in was very sharp and already cutting into the charging handle. A couple minutes with a small, fine file took down the sharp edges.
The latch that holds the rifle closed feels a bit cheap.
The barrel is not very centered when closed. I moved the stock to the 2nd position to capture the front sight and minimize movement, I would have preferred the shortest setting.

The trigger really isn't so bad, just a bit inconsistent. There will be several nice breaks then one mushy one then back to nice.

From a design point the biggest thing I don't like is there is no easy way to get inside to clean it, especially in a blow back gun. Spray cleaner will be the way to go.

I've already put the Midwest industries red dot mount and inforce WML on it. I think it's going to make a good backpacking gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Non-tech, asked and answered, see above...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top