Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2016 6:09:23 AM EDT
Ok guys, pretty much got it narrowed down to the MPX or an Angstadt Arms UDP Pistol with the shockwave brace. Both are pretty close in price, both have AR controls, I can put a folder on both, both are 9mm and can accept a can, etc.

The big differences to me are the cost of the MPX mags(~50 bucks) vs. me already having Glock mags to run the Angstadt, and blowback vs piston system of the MPX.

All the polls I see are MPX vs CZ where the Scorpion wins because of the big price difference, but taking price out of the equation what are the pros/cons of the MPX vs the AR platform?

Can I fire both when the folded stock is folded(I believe so)? All the MPXs I see are sold with the 8" barrel, but there is a shorter 5" I would like to try on it, making it closer in size to the Angstadt. Anyone seen an MPX with the shorter barrel?

Thanks fellas, I need some help sorting this out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Angstadt Arms UDP Pistol is my vote. You already have the mags for it and can share a simple logistical supply between a primary and a secondary. One of the big let downs is the MPX proprietary CH which if you've seen the reviews, sucks for stopping gasses when using a can. At least with the Angstadt if it's modular with certain AR parts as it looks to be, can be used with a gas busting type of CH.

If you still cannot decide after all that which I have said, flip a coin or get both
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
not trying to bomb your thread but I have an MPX and Scorpion.  I sold the MPX.  Even if price was the same I would go Scorpion every time knowing what I know now.  If your only two options though are the one's you listed then I would go MPX
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to suppress it. Does having faster follow up shots matter?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to suppress it. Does having faster follow up shots matter?
View Quote

Plans are to put a can on it by the end of year, as whichever one I end up going with will be used as a pdw type HD gun. So how does that affect the faster follow up on shots?

From what I have read, the MPX works will with a suppressor and was practically designed with a can in mind.

The gun will also see plenty of time at the range and in courses, most likely without the can on it much of the time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:31:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I was actually building a glock 9mm ar pdw. 4 inch barrel. Side charge. Etc. I wished I woulda bought the mpx sooner. Reason I bought mpx mid 9mm AR build was got a great price.  I'd sell the 9mm ar but I like it too much. If I could do it again I'd buy the mpx. It's a great SBR setup and supressed(my can in jail still) I shot at a range and it's just beautiful. But it's up to you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Both are 9mm ar. Only differences are the mpx is a has piston so better suppressed than blow back and less recoil so faster follow up shots.
But the mpx mag is expensive vs colt or glock mags. Also the mpx fit and finish is on the level of an ak47.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the thoughts so far, still trying to decide. The guns are very close in price, one difference being that the MPX would come with a folder already, but I would have to buy the LAW folder for the AR which would be another 300 bucks on top of the gun. That would be enough difference to buy several MPX mags with the money saved.

Question for you guys with the MPX, is the factory folder made by sig? Or is it an aftermarket piece like the law tactical unit? Also, are any of you guys using the 5" barrel for the MPX? I haven't seen any in use yet, only the 8"
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:51:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the thoughts so far, still trying to decide. The guns are very close in price, one difference being that the MPX would come with a folder already, but I would have to buy the LAW folder for the AR which would be another 300 bucks on top of the gun. That would be enough difference to buy several MPX mags with the money saved.

Question for you guys with the MPX, is the factory folder made by sig? Or is it an aftermarket piece like the law tactical unit? Also, are any of you guys using the 5" barrel for the MPX? I haven't seen any in use yet, only the 8"
View Quote

Most people are cutting the factory barrel and retreading due to adding a can. The factory folder is sold by sig so I assume sig makes it. Well I'm sure it's outsourced but it's only sold as sigs product.

It's pretty cheap to cut down the barrel. I plan on going down to 3.5inches when my can is outta jail probably in 2years considering the massive 41f filing lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Most cut the barrel. Sig says they will sell 4.5 barrels for $600 and k fore ends for $175? I think
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Plans are to put a can on it by the end of year, .
View Quote

If you don't already have one in progress, good luck with that.  From the way that it looks, even if you put one in process today, you could still be looking at December at the earliest, and that is if it is a transfer inside your state.  Coming from outside your state?  Nada chance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

question from your OP; NO you cannot shoot the LAW folder when it is folded.  

fatkid
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most cut the barrel. Sig says they will sell 4.5 barrels for $600 and k fore ends for $175? I think
View Quote

wow. Guess they can claim to justify that based on the fact that they can be quickly changed in the field without any gunsmithing, but still holy crap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

fatkid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fatkid

Meaning on the AR right? Since the MPX is a stand alone pistol, and the only attachment point for their folder is a pic rail on the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#14]
UPDATE for anyone interested, ended up going with the MPX pistol. No folder for now, as I didn't really want to run the sig brace for a couple reasons.

I am looking for the folding adapter knuckle but SIG is currently sold out on their website, any ideas on where I might luck up and find one? I have a shockwave for it and want to run that instead of the sbx brace, so the adapter will let me do just that. Hope to get out to the range Friday and put some rounds through it. So far im impressed with the build quality, but with the 8" barrel she's a little heavier than I expected.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If you get it SBR'd this could be fun

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you get it SBR'd this could be fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pto8kk4aG8
View Quote

Originally had plans to SBR it, but I think im going to leave it as a pistol with a folding brace(probably shockwave) instead. That way I can still carry it loaded, conceal it on trips, carry across state lines, etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:31:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Both are 9mm ar. Only differences are the mpx is a has piston so better suppressed than blow back and less recoil so faster follow up shots.
But the mpx mag is expensive vs colt or glock mags. Also the mpx fit and finish is on the level of an ak47.
View Quote

Hate to be that guy, but maybe you just got ahold of a bad example^ The one I just picked up has no slop in the receivers at all, and looks to be well made/finished.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go with the Angstadt Arms UDP Pistol is my vote. You already have the mags for it and can share a simple logistical supply between a primary and a secondary. One of the big let downs is the MPX proprietary CH which if you've seen the reviews, sucks for stopping gasses when using a can. At least with the Angstadt if it's modular with certain AR parts as it looks to be, can be used with a gas busting type of CH.

If you still cannot decide after all that which I have said, flip a coin or get both
View Quote

please stop with the misinformation.

no gas enters the upper reciever it is a piston gun not direct impingment.  

i own an mpx and run it suppressed there is NO gas coming past the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]

MY Vote  Home rolled.

" />
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

please stop with the misinformation.

no gas enters the upper reciever it is a piston gun not direct impingment.  

i own an mpx and run it suppressed there is NO gas coming past the charging handle.
View Quote

After trying various supressors and ammo... The MPX could be a bit gassy.   Here is a video of the MPX with an Omega 9k using AE 147gr:  https://vimeo.com/173987557

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Having HAD the MPX and now I have a AR that takes Glock mags, you know my vote.
Here is why:  1st and foremost is Sig is a company that has bitten off more than it can chew.
They lied to me countless times about when parts would be available, and still are doing the same thing
Sig fucking sucks!!!!!!  The mags are stupid $$$. The gun is heavy, the gas system is overrated.
AA, =  AR parts, simple, GLOCK MAGS!, Lighter package, more options.
I now own:
Scorpion SBR
Sub 2000 ( Glock 19), cut to 5.5 inches and SBRed, with Red Lion
ATI's  Mill Sport, 5.5 barrel, PISTOL
MY favorite is the new ATI PISTOL, wish I have done the AA long ago when I first wanted to.
'cause it is small enough, but you can fold it with a Law Tactical folder, you can make it yours with Zillions of parts.
DO NOT go SBR, you can not travel with a weapon that is NFA, State lines are major problems, so stay with a pistol!
AND  SIG FUCKING SUCKS!!!!
Good luck
EDIT: Holy cow you are in NC! Go next door and buy from Angstadt!
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]

That is Bad ass and has my vote.  Care to share where that upper comes from?

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's a Rainier Arms upper and an SLR rail. Looks really good.

What's the lower?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

wow. Guess they can claim to justify that based on the fact that they can be quickly changed in the field without any gunsmithing, but still holy crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently ordered a barrel to send off to cut and rethread, I paid the following with Sig:

Gen 2 BARREL & GAS BLOCK ASSY, 9MM NATO, 8 INCH (Sig Part# 1810235-R) - $327.00
GAS VALVE SUB-ASSY, ACTIVE (Sig Part# 1810577-R) - $161.10
Piston (Sig Part# 1810015-R) - $53.10

This was a pain in the arse....!  The factory sent me a gen2 barrel when I clearly indicated that I had a gen 1.  Once I get the barrel I noticed I only got the barrel and spent another week or two working with Sig to figure out the other parts...

Long story short, I hope to have all the parts back today.  I hope you all find this info useful!

D
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I recently ordered a barrel to send off to cut and rethread, I paid the following with Sig:

This was a pain in the arse....!  The factory sent me a gen2 barrel when I clearly indicated that I had a gen 1.  Once I get the barrel I noticed I only got the barrel and spent another week or two working with Sig to figure out the other parts...

Long story short, I hope to have all the parts back today.  I hope you all find this info useful!

D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

D

I don't plan on going back to a longer barrel, so I don't have an issue with just having mine cut down to 4.5 and being done with it. My thing is not wanting to have to cut the factory handguard as well, and end up buying a longer one later to cover a suppressor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top