Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2016 12:06:13 PM EDT
The Hammer on my gen1 Scorpion is showing some significant signs of wear, it’s almost as if the part was not hardened properly.  I have around 800 rounds down the pipe. I emailed CZ customer support with some pictures and got this in response. “That is pretty common and we have yet to see any reliability issues resulting from the hammer wear.”

This just looks plain wrong to me.  Firing the gun for just 800 rounds has created groves in the hammer you see visually and can feel with your fingernail, the metal on the hammer is flattening out in certain spots, it’s almost as if it wasn’t hardened at all. I believe CZ when they say that they have not seen any reliability issues, at least not yet, but this is not a part that I would expect to show these types of wear marks so early in the firearms life. At this rate i can see a reliability issue being created down the line.

Does anyone else have symptoms of this?

Edit: to fix pics
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm sure it will run but not the type of wear I would expect to see at only 800rnds.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, it should be less than that after 8000 rounds. Looks like it might be time for an aftermarket solution if that's how these wear under normal conditions...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it still shoot? If so, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It may shoot now, but at that rate I would not trust it in the long run. If he uses this as anything other than a range tool that may be a concern.

I have around 500 rounds through mine. I will check tonight if mine looks like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm considering induction case hardening the face. That's crazy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine does not look like yours...

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah it shoots, it shoots quite well.  I love the gun, it's a real blast at the range.

I traded another email with CZ customer support asking if the part was supposed to be hardened and my question was ignored.  The response i got was pictures of other triggers with less wear than mine saying that it was normal.

As for replacement CZ wants 99.00 for the replacement part via their web-store, that seems pretty steep. The trigger pack is ripe for aftermarket replacement so i think it's only a matter of time before alternatives are available.

I am disappointed in the response from CZ to my inquiries, i will probably call them and see if i can talk through this with someone.  I am still very curious if other are noticing this issue, there is a possibility here that i have a bad part.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've replaced mine with the CZ Custom trigger group - if you need my old one, let me know.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've replaced mine with the CZ Custom trigger group - if you need my old one, let me know.

Bob S.
View Quote

^This is why I love this place!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I probably own the oldest Evo here (made in 2013) and mine looks almost new

ETA pic:

here's mine manufactured in 2013.. not as ugly as your sorry... but has the same wear on the side edge

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bob S.
View Quote

I didnt know they even had a trigger pack, it looks NICE too!  I will have to give CZ Custom a call, thanks for the info.

Quoted:
I probably own the oldest Evo here (made in 2013) and mine looks almost new
View Quote

Thank you for confirming!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine does not look like yours...
View Quote

It sure doesent, thanks for the update.  perhaps i have a lemon...
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I didnt know they even had a trigger pack, it looks NICE too!  I will have to give CZ Custom a call, thanks for the info.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

It's a very nice trigger - not cheap, but adjustable for pre and over travel, and makes the less than great factory trigger into something very nice to use!

It also gets you three 922R compliant parts if you are SBRing your pistol, and don't want to buy the factory kit.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the carbine and after about 100 rounds it is starting to look not too good.  I noticed my bolt is starting to peen a bit too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

no.

It might not have been properly hardened.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Contact CZ.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I just put a carbine on layaway...........I hope I don't run into that issue

Quoted:
I have the carbine and after about 100 rounds it is starting to look not too good.  I noticed my bolt is starting to peen a bit too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh yeah it shoots, it shoots quite well.  I love the gun, it's a real blast at the range.

I traded another email with CZ customer support asking if the part was supposed to be hardened and my question was ignored.  The response i got was pictures of other triggers with less wear than mine saying that it was normal.

As for replacement CZ wants 99.00 for the replacement part via their web-store, that seems pretty steep. The trigger pack is ripe for aftermarket replacement so i think it's only a matter of time before alternatives are available.

I am disappointed in the response from CZ to my inquiries, i will probably call them and see if i can talk through this with someone.  I am still very curious if other are noticing this issue, there is a possibility here that i have a bad part.
View Quote

Keep working your way around and up the ladder at CZ.  That kind of wear and deformation is utterly unacceptable.  Period.  There are others with hammers that are obviously not wearing like that and, it seems, a couple that are.  That is a poor hardness condition and if the hammer face is that bad already...what is the sear interface gonna look like?  That will trend to the UNSAFE very rapidly.

Keep working on them until they acknowledge that this is a problem.

Ask them, why doesn't a CZ-75 hammer look like that after 800 rounds....or an AR-15 hammer......or a Smith and Wesson revolver hammer?

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am seeing peening on the bolt and hammer as well, only have maybe ~100 down it, with a bit of dry firing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Very early evo pistol here, no signs of wear like that on mine and I have 5k rounds through it already.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My world-feature pistol is already showing gouges in the hammer after less than 100 rounds.  Definitely worrisome.  I need to shoot it a bunch more prior to sending it in for the trigger pack swap.  I'll ask them to change the defective hammer at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Between 300 and 400 rds through my carbine so far. Seeing a little bit that's troubling. Def something to keep an eye on as I plan to shoot the heck out of this thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
My guess it has to do with the bolt having a square corner on it instead of a radius.  The bolt corner acts like a chisel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My guess it has to do with the bolt having a square corner on it instead of a radius.  The bolt corner acts like a chisel.
View Quote

mine isnt too pretty and i was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Have an EVO carbine on order....should have it late next week or early the week after that......

Will report....since CZ Custom is local to me...if I have issues, I will consult with them and see what they say.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine is looking worn also with about 300 rounds through it.  There is a nice little notch forming where the hammer meets the bolt.  They should radius that area over to prevent this.
I have the world trigger pack.

" />
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
There is no way they properly heat treated these hammers. I'd be real curious as to what the Rockwell hardness is on these as compared to the pistol hammers. CZ better get on the stick and get this shit fixed ASAP. With my 41F suppressor ordering done and recently handling one at a gun shop, it was on my must acqire list but not until these issues are remidied.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
It shoots fine.  I am curious if the rush to get these world packs out the hammers were not up to snuff.

Have they started swapping the "world" packs out yet?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There is no way they properly heat treated these hammers. I'd be real curious as to what the Rockwell hardness is on these as compared to the pistol hammers. CZ better get on the stick and get this shit fixed ASAP. With my 41F suppressor ordering done and recently handling one at a gun shop, it was on my must acqire list but not until these issues are remidied.
View Quote

I'd love to know what series of steel they are using.  I'd have my guy at work just re-harden my hammer then I'd hand fit it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Haven't even fired a single shot ( though you can see that the factory did ) and the hammer and bolt are already dinged up.  I'll be contacting CZ about this soon.  For now....fuck it....it's going to the range!!!!

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mine is looking worn also with about 300 rounds through it.  There is a nice little notch forming where the hammer meets the bolt.  They should radius that area over to prevent this.
I have the world trigger pack.

http://i.imgur.com/x6UHQSBl.jpg?1" />
View Quote

Yikes !!! That looks nasty.

Im curious how CZ handles this.

Roughly how deep would you say that indentation is. I really hope that doesn't happen to my carbine
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
This seems totally unacceptable.

This might be OK if you said you had 8000 rounds down the pipe, but 800

Then others chime in with fewer rounds with a similar story - not good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#33]
My pre world model hammer is still looking good, I'm thinking I have around 600-750 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My pre world model hammer is still looking good, I'm thinking I have around 600-750 rounds through it.
View Quote

Im thinking someone making the world trigger skipped a step
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Haven't even fired a single shot ( though you can see that the factory did ) and the hammer and bolt are already dinged up.  I'll be contacting CZ about this soon.  For now....fuck it....it's going to the range!!!!

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90281

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90282  
View Quote

Maybe the replacement trigger pack one will be better?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am hoping.  I have a couple of other issues to discuss w/ CZ, like the front sight being essentially completely nonadjustable.....but the hammer will be on the top of the list.  I will say that my hammer fared no worse after one hundred rounds...which was nice.....BUT.......there should be NO divoting at all.  Period.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I am hoping.  I have a couple of other issues to discuss w/ CZ, like the front sight being essentially completely nonadjustable.....but the hammer will be on the top of the list.  I will say that my hammer fared no worse after one hundred rounds...which was nice.....BUT.......there should be NO divoting at all.  Period.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at the lower back of the BCG (or whatever it is called on this platorm) you will see the piece that contacts the hammer is also being worn down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If you look at the lower back of the BCG (or whatever it is called on this platorm) you will see the piece that contacts the hammer is also being worn down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup.  Right from the get go.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#39]
It have heard nothing from my World replacement request last month.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#40]
This concerns me.............I have a carbine on layaway, and all this is making me have second thoughts about it.............I hope the straighten it out

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This concerns me.............I have a carbine on layaway, and all this is making me have second thoughts about it.............I hope the straighten it out

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This and the barrel thread issue made me back out from buying one two weeks ago. I'm just gonna sit this one out till CZ gets things straightened out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I may go in another direction altogether if they don't get things squared away soon.......

Quoted:

This and the barrel thread issue made me back out from buying one two weeks ago. I'm just gonna sit this one out till CZ gets things straightened out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I may go in another direction altogether if they don't get things squared away soon.......

View Quote

Agreed, I'm on the hunt for a Sub 2000 gen2.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whats wrong with the barrel?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Mine looked rough and worn before I shot it also.  Hopefully it either holds up or CZ makes it right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mine looked rough and worn before I shot it also.  Hopefully it either holds up or CZ makes it right.
View Quote

Contact them, I think CZ will make it right.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Picked up my Evo last Monday. Fired roughly 150 rounds or less. Starting to see wear on the hammer and the Bolt. . Not to thrilled to say the least. I guess I'll shoot till it stops working Or if it gets worse I'll contact Cz.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The muzzle threads aren't long enough to properly index a can. They need to be cut to the shoulder or need a relief cut after the threads.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Horseshit... My Osprey indexes and shoots just fine off the factory 1/2x28 threads. There is also a relief behind the threads on mine.

Quoted:

The muzzle threads aren't long enough to properly index a can. They need to be cut to the shoulder or need a relief cut after the threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Horseshit... My Osprey indexes and shoots just fine off the factory 1/2x28 threads. There is also a relief behind the threads on mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, should have stated the CARBINE barrel threads. You have the pistol or carbine?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top