Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 10:02:43 PM EDT
The idea of a pistol caliber carbine has a growing appeal to me.  Based on the proliferation of PCC's coming to the market, I'm not alone. The only problem is that the only way to get the most out of a PCC is to SBR it.  I'm sure they are fun, but a 16" PCC seems a bit bulky, especially considering that a rifle caliber weapon would be of the same approximate size envelope.  A full-sized PCC has almost all the bulk with less horsepower.  However, the SBR red tape is a hassle, and some states done even allow them, so what is the solution?

So here is my question.  Why hasn't there been a good, reliable, inexpensive bullpup PCC developed by a major manufacturer?  I know the Tavor has a 9mm conversion, and if I remember correctly, the AUG has a conversion kit too.  The problem with both of them is the stupidly high cost involved with both.  I have found a company called Jard, and they seem to produce a decent, if not homely, PCC bullpup, but why haven't companies like CZ produced a Bullpup Scorpin EVO? With a 16" barrel and a OAL of around 26.5" it would be the perfect substitute for a PCC SBR.

Now I know Glock is coming out with their carbine any day now, but until then, why is this idea not taking off with the growing popularity of both Bullpups and PCC's?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Now I know Glock is coming out with their carbine any day now, but until then, why is this idea not taking off with the growing popularity of both Bullpups and PCC's?
View Quote

The staggering market demand for a pistol caliber bullpup seems to have evaded all the major firearms companies, except the guys making bullpup stocks for 10/22s.

I submit that if the idea actually were popular, it would have already taken off; and that the intersection of two small market segments (bullpup and pcc) is even smaller still.

I mean, really - the reason for a bullpup is to give long barrel rifle performance in a compact package, then to couple it with a round optimized to reach full velocity in a 5" pistol barrel or less, that may actually be slowing down from friction by the time it exits a long barrel is a recipe for "huh?!".
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The staggering market demand for a pistol caliber bullpup seems to have evaded all the major firearms companies, except the guys making bullpup stocks for 10/22s.

I submit that if the idea actually were popular, it would have already taken off; and that the intersection of two small market segments (bullpup and pcc) is even smaller still.

I mean, really - the reason for a bullpup is to give long barrel rifle performance in a compact package, then to couple it with a round optimized to reach full velocity in a 5" pistol barrel or less, that may actually be slowing down from friction by the time it exits a long barrel is a recipe for "huh?!".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you make some good points.  If the demand was there, I guess the market would have responded by now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The Tavor can be purchased as a factory 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
There's the Jard, but it's inobtanium
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]

I love mine

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]

I was gonna post that as well. Always thought those were a bit large for the concept.

I can only think of china doing it from the ground up.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait what? It can? I thought it was just a conversion kit?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B17-9 or FD17-9

https://www.iwi.us/Tavor-(1)/TAVOR-TAVOR-B17-9.aspx
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was gonna post that as well. Always thought those were a bit large for the concept.

http://www.china-defense-mashup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/05machinegun-540x342.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.china-defense-mashup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/05machinegun-540x342.jpg

I like that a lot.  Looks light and handy.

KelTec has been bringing a few bullpups to the market.  Maybe they can meld their new RDB downward ejecting bullpup with the blowback operation of the SUB-2000. It would be another epic design that they would struggle to make enough of.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my Jager AP 85. It's in 22lr. That's a pistol caliber.
Of course, they're not made anymore.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's fairly heavy ( around 9 pounds ) but it is the same length as a fixed stock mp5 so length wise it's just right. The problem with it ( at least mine ) is it hates shit ammo. It needs to be fed fairly hot ammo. The only real downside to it is the lack of spare barrels . All other parts can be had from Pete Athens .  The best thing about it is there is almost 0 recoil and the ammo is cheaper to practice with .
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

KelTec has been bringing a few bullpups to the market.  Maybe they can meld their new RDB downward ejecting bullpup with the blowback operation of the SUB-2000. It would be another epic design that they would struggle to make enough of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keltec seems more interested in designing firearms then producing them. So I wouldnt hold my breath.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's the Jard, but it's inobtanium
View Quote

Crap!
Did you contact the manufacturer? They were very responsive when I wrote them several months ago. They were not available anywhere except from them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

B17-9 or FD17-9

https://www.iwi.us/Tavor-(1)/TAVOR-TAVOR-B17-9.aspx

This combined with the article on a guy running his 9mm Tavor in USPSA PCC division has had me seriously lusting over this gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#16]

How do the Troy sights co-witness?
Are they full or micro?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are they full or micro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are they full or micro?

They don't . The optic is too tall . I actually prefer the gun without optics and usually don't have them mounted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top