Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2016 5:42:05 PM EDT
Can't decide

They'll be about the same price I think

The glock mag lower I could order right now and file a form 1.

If I understand correctly  I'd have to make the Scorpion 922 compliant before I file?

Pro's for the flock lower are AR parts compatibility ando upper options

Pro's for the Scorpion are that it's awesome

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with a Kriss Vector 9mm for factory SBR however I did it with my company bonus. If I didn't have that extra money would of bought a Glock lower over the Scorpion. The Glock AR9 would save me money and space since I already own about 10 33rd mags.  Plus the new Scorpion isn't released yet either.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it has to be 922r compliant before filing.
Are you running a suppressor?
People seem to love or hate AR9s. They seem to recoil hard.
I hear great things about suppressed Scorpions
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I will run it suppressed but not all the time

The one thing I like about the AR is I could have a short barrel for suppressed and a longer barrel. I really like pushing 9mm out of a 16" barrel. I have 115gr  loads (under max) that are pushing 1700fps

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The scorpion does not have to be compliant before you file. It just has to be compliant before you assemble it into a SBR post form 1 approval.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems like there is a lot to making a 9mm AR run correctly.  I opted for a Scorpion because it is the easy route.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems like there is a lot to making a 9mm AR run correctly.  I opted for a Scorpion because it is the easy route.
View Quote

This is actually my biggest concern.

One good thing about the AR is I would only have to buy the lower  right  now so I could put the extra $400 toward 2 tax stamps.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Do the palmetto glock lowers have last round bolt hold open?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Scorpion cost and mag cost hard to beat plus just look at them.
So purty hard not to love them
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s228.photobucket.com/user/akuser47/media/DSC00990_zpssfc2nlcc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/akuser47/DSC00990_zpssfc2nlcc.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yes

Yes it is

I made my decision

It's the only proper decision

I'm gonna get both.

Just ordered the glock lower. Still researching the scorpion. Looks like it might make sense just to wait until the gen 2's come out?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes

Yes it is

I made my decision

I'm gonna get both.

Just ordered the glock lower. Still researching the scorpion. Looks like it might make sense just to wait until the gen 2's come out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s228.photobucket.com/user/akuser47/media/DSC00990_zpssfc2nlcc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/akuser47/DSC00990_zpssfc2nlcc.jpg</a>

Yes

Yes it is

I made my decision

I'm gonna get both.

Only if you don't care about 41p
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Yes it is

I made my decision

I'm gonna get both.

At first I was all frazzled about it and in a rush

But it's not a huge deal for me, only 3 people on my trust
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't looked into how difficult it is to swap out the barrel, but if it's simple then it may be best to buy the carbine, then form 1 if desired, then chop or swap the barrel. The kit to get the stock is more expensive than a replacement barrel, and I wish I had a carbine foregrip to go around my suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are the parts to your stock?  Does it fold?  Was the adapter factory or aftermarket?  I'm trying to decide if I will SBR my incoming scorp or just put a brace on it (which would be lots cheaper).
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
for a cost reference...I built my 9mm Ar on a New Frontier Armory complete lower with their modular bolt.... Aero Precision upper, barrel, and YHM hand guard from MAS Defense.. for around $800
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One good thing about the AR is I would only have to buy the lower  right  now so I could put the extra $400 toward 2 tax stamps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That in red is my main resistance towards getting a 9mm AR. I was considering it because I already have a lower and could just buy an upper but factoring in all the costs assocaited with a 9mm upper it seemed like to get it running right would require a lot of fiddling and experimentation on my part or sending it to a gunsmith that knows 9mm ARs well and because of this I've decided I'm jsut going to buy a scorpion carbine when they come out. I don't want to have the hassle of Form 1 or Form 2 or any of that stuff I just want a gun I can shoot in USPSA PCC division that works out of the gate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I did the evo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That in red is my main resistance towards getting a 9mm AR. I was considering it because I already have a lower and could just buy an upper but factoring in all the costs assocaited with a 9mm upper it seemed like to get it running right would require a lot of fiddling and experimentation on my part or sending it to a gunsmith that knows 9mm ARs well and because of this I've decided I'm jsut going to buy a scorpion carbine when they come out. I don't want to have the hassle of Form 1 or Form 2 or any of that stuff I just want a gun I can shoot in USPSA PCC division that works out of the gate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went the 9mm AR route first and it was frustrating as hell!  Sometimes it ran great, sometimes it didn't, always had to fiddle with it.  That got old quick so I sold it and got a Scorpion, problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
My CMMG 9mm AR has been flawless. Not a single malfunction. So not all of them have issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I went the 9mm AR route first and it was frustrating as hell!  Sometimes it ran great, sometimes it didn't, always had to fiddle with it.  That got old quick so I sold it and got a Scorpion, problem solved.
View Quote

What components did you use?

What particular issues did you have?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I own a bunch of subguns and my ar9 on a cq10 lower is the worse .. It's not 100 percent but the more fancy you get with an ar9 the more problems ya have.. If you add in Glock lowers the lrbho is pretty much not there or its finicky or proprietary.. The biggest down fall to the ar 9 IMHO is dealing with the buffer system.. I tell everyone if you must have an ar platform go with a mpx .. Other then that the evo is a very surprising and a great gun esp for the money and the mp5 is still top dog ..
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I own a bunch of subguns and my ar9 on a cq10 lower is the worse .. It's not 100 percent but the more fancy you get with an ar9 the more problems ya have.. If you add in Glock lowers the lrbho is pretty much not there or its finicky or proprietary.. The biggest down fall to the ar 9 IMHO is dealing with the buffer system.. I tell everyone if you must have an ar platform go with a mpx .. Other then that the evo is a very surprising and a great gun esp for the money and the mp5 is still top dog ..
View Quote

These are the comments I received when asking. Also, people said the JP silent capture was almost mandatory
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

These are the comments I received when asking. Also, people said the JP silent capture was almost mandatory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm

Well I guess I'll play around with it and see what happens

Waiting till the carbine is released to get the evo
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I get that as I will get a carbine asap as well. So then I have best of both worlds for this gun. I think they'll be pricey n scarce when first off the boat, but eventually I hope the crazy wears off on the carbines and gen 2 scorpions.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a PSA Glock lower with a 7.5 inch hybrid upper.  I haven't tested it yet.  It looks good and feels solid, but I really need to test.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive got a PSA Ar15 lower with their Colt mag adapter, sold that way a year or two ago, with a PSA 10.5" upper built as a pistol-  runs fine, no issues.

Also have a Spartan Glock mag lower (made by NFA, same as most of the Glock mag lowers), with a PSA 8.5" upper, built as a pistol- runs fine, no issues.

Bought a PSA Glock mag lower recently since I have another PSA 8.5" upper I bought on sale last year as well as a blem $50 PSA Colt mag adapter. I plan to build 2 more pistols with them.

Sprinta currently has 9mm stuff on sale. No experience with them but I figure I should buy a BCG and a barrel from them to complete my Colt mag build
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought both.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought both.
View Quote

This.

And some more PCC. Addictive.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#28]
answer to every thread ever started like this: both!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got a PSA Glock lower with a 7.5 inch hybrid upper.  I haven't tested it yet.  It looks good and feels solid, but I really need to test.
View Quote

I'm thinking I'll probably go with a PSA upper.

Going to wait and see if I can snag one on sale and then swap the upper for the NFA side charge upper w/lrbho
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought both.
View Quote

YEP
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I have both.

A CMMG MK9 AR 9mm - flawless. No tinkering to get it to run right, but you pay more for that over a budget/build it yourself option.
Extremely customize-able, AR controls and ergos are definite positives. Colt-style mags are cheaper than Glock mags, but are hard to load.

My Scorpion Carbine is more fun to shoot though. It's quieter suppressed, softer recoiling, and somehow just more fun. Mags are cheap and are some of the easiest-loading mags I've every used (even moreso than Glock mags).

My 9mm AR sits in the safe since the Scorpion around.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I tried to make an NFA glock AR-9.

I had problems with bullets getting pushed back into the case with the balistic advantage barrel.

I am going to give it another go with the Faxon..
View Quote

Oh don't tell me that, I'm still waiting on my stamp and this is the route I went.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had problems with bullets getting pushed back into the case with the balistic advantage barrel.

View Quote

I'm having the same problem with a different barrel.  Been working on this thing for months and still don't have it functioning properly.  I should have just gone Colt mag...
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have both.

A CMMG MK9 AR 9mm - flawless. No tinkering to get it to run right, but you pay more for that over a budget/build it yourself option.
Extremely customize-able, AR controls and ergos are definite positives. Colt-style mags are cheaper than Glock mags, but are hard to load.

My Scorpion Carbine is more fun to shoot though. It's quieter suppressed, softer recoiling, and somehow just more fun. Mags are cheap and are some of the easiest-loading mags I've every used (even moreso than Glock mags).

View Quote

This might help with that if its like their AK, AR or pistol loaders it will work great.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This might help with that if its like their AK, AR or pistol loaders it will work great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have both.

Oh definitely, it's on my list of things to get, but the Scorpion mags are a dream to load - no loaders needed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Evo is an easy decision
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm having the same problem with a different barrel.  Been working on this thing for months and still don't have it functioning properly. I should have just gone Colt mag...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm having the same problem with a different barrel.  Been working on this thing for months and still don't have it functioning properly. I should have just gone Colt mag...

I have no doubt ill be able to make mine run.

I just don't believe theres an inherent flaw with the glock mag lowers that would make it impossible to get them to run. I think it just takes some tuning and the right parts. I've talked to plenty of people who are very happy with theirs

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just don't believe theres an inherent flaw with the glock mag lowers that would make it impossible to get them to run. I think it just takes some tuning and the right parts. I've talked to plenty of people who are very happy with theirs

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I built an ar9 a few months back. It was fun to shoot, but was not reliable with hollow points. Literally couldn't get even one to chamber, even tried multiple brands. So as a home defense gun it was out of the question. I sold it and picked up a scorpion and couldn't be happier. It has eaten everything I've given it. My light reloads, multiple types of hollow points, even flat nose ammo. Not a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ive got a PSA Ar15 lower with their Colt mag adapter, sold that way a year or two ago, with a PSA 10.5" upper built as a pistol-  runs fine, no issues.

Also have a Spartan Glock mag lower (made by NFA, same as most of the Glock mag lowers), with a PSA 8.5" upper, built as a pistol- runs fine, no issues.

Bought a PSA Glock mag lower recently since I have another PSA 8.5" upper I bought on sale last year as well as a blem $50 PSA Colt mag adapter. I plan to build 2 more pistols with them.

Sprinta currently has 9mm stuff on sale. No experience with them but I figure I should buy a BCG and a barrel from them to complete my Colt mag build
View Quote

I ordered the Spinta blemished bolt carrier and picked up an 11" BA barrel on the EE

My plan is to get the side charging upper with lrbho

I threw it together today with a standard upper and fifteen bother putting a hand guard on it. Ran perfect, went through about 150 rounds with 0 malfunctions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top