Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 4/7/2016 1:44:01 AM EDT
Blowing away my original text to post a quasi-review of my Micro Roni and the butchering I did to make it suppressor friendly.
I picked one up for $200 shipped from Buds and got it in yesterday. Here are my observations about it.

The good:

Very solid feeling, lockup is very tight, I haven't had a chance to get to the range (mine was closed today ?!? ) but I have a feeling that zero will be repeatable
The "charging handle" will clear a suppressor height rear sight
It interfaces with the accessory rail and locks in tight, there's an ambi release on the front you have to pull down to "unlock" the gun during removal
It uses AR height optics and sights (still looking for a set of cheap MBUS G2 sights for mine)
The stock easily locks open and is solid, and has a nice rubber buttpad for added grip
All bolts/screws had a generous amount of loctite on them from the factory
There is a single QD swivel slot on the bottom just in front of the stock

The meh:

It's 100% plastic (including the top rail) other than the screws and the shroud in front of the barrel
You can't have any backstraps on the gun (Gen 4) or the rear loading gate will not close and lock the gun in the chassis
A G17L threaded barrel BARELY fits with the thread protector removed (after the metal shroud is removed, NO way it will fit with the shroud installed)
I wouldn't suggest using a shorter barrel than the G17L barrel without the metal shroud, you'll be dumping gasses/fouling/etc from the muzzle inside the chassis
The tabs that hold the second mag in the foregrip lock it in very tight and it's hard to remove without jerking down hard
After inserting and pulling a mag out of the foregrip a few times the plastic cutout on the mag was slightly deformed, I'm not going to regularly insert a mag in the foregrip
A non-ambi cut mag is easier to insert/remove (only the left side tab engages the magazine) but still has plastic deformation after a number of insertions/removals
There is a large slide release button on the chassis approximately where the one is on the slide, but it is very difficult to activate. I have to break my grip on the gun to activate it, it's much easier to slingshot with the charging handle

The bad:

Suppressor height front sights will not clear to install the gun, I had to play swap the slide with my non-SBR G17 to do my test fitting/pictures
Modification is required to run a G17L barrel and suppressor
2-3 of the nuts attached to the bolts holding the top rail in place seem to spin freely when you attempt to tighten/loosen the bolts, it would probably be rather difficult to remove the top rail
I haven't shot it yet

Here's a picture I marked up:
Attachment Attached File

Blue circles are bolts/screws you need to remove to split the chassis apart to remove the metal shroud. Note that there are screws on each side underneath the front rails that directly hold the shroud in place.
1. Rear loading gate
2. Tabs that hold mag in foregrip (one on each side)
3. Charging handle
4. Ambi release for the accessory rail lock
5. Button to unlock the rear loading gate (you pull backwards on the underside to unlock it, then rotate down)

After taking the bolts and screws out and splitting the chassis down the middle I was able to remove the shroud Here's the removed metal shroud:
Where the slide of the Glock interfaces with it (note that I don't notice any difference with how tight the gun locks into place with or without the shroud):

Other views:

As you can see a G17L threaded barrel clears the chassis:

But when you lock the slide back :

I took it to my LGS and they suggested a dremel When I got home I got out my dremel, and then remembered the fun times I've had melting various plastic things I've attempted to dremel in the past.
I had a stoke of genius Half round bastard file:

After a couple minutes of careful filing I ended up with this (sorry for the blurry pic, I have a temporary phone from work with a broken camera and my wife stole our good camera for the day):

Locking the slide back looks good:

And there's juuuuust enough room for the piston to clear everything as well :

The proof will be when I take it out and shoot a few hundred rounds through it, but it looks damn good sitting there waiting:
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  I'm thinking the Micro Roni would make a nice compact setup for a SBR Glock. I was toying with the idea of picking up a MPA 930/935 but the Micro Roni would be cheaper and easier with the same benefits. The biggest question I have about the setup is if there's any way to suppress a Glock while it's in the chassis. It looks like you can remove the "flash hider" from the front of the fullsize Roni to run a suppressor and I'm wondering if it would be possible with the Micro as well.

I'm guessing it's too early to have any concrete info, but I may have to F1 a Glock in preparation.
View Quote

Dremel?  I see they're promising a 16" Glock bbl again, lol.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Wondering if a G34 or G17L threaded barrel would work in one of these to extend the barrel past the end of the chassis for suppressor usage. Guess we'll find out closer to launch
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
NFA Review channel has a video up with one of the guys talking about the micro and how there will be a version that would allow suppressor use but there is not currently one on their website as of this post. I really like the set up and the msrp of around $225.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Perfect... getting better and better. I submitted a F1 for a G17 about 15 minutes ago

Found the video: https://www.full30.com/video/04e6fd929b9e9fc801fca6b75b337618
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
What OAL did you use?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
23" based on the specs on the CAA webpage
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested in the pistol brace version for a range toy, but as you mentioned-not if there is no provision to add my suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep they said you would be able to use suppressor with it and I really hope that is true.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like my Roni.

That being said, the mini Roni looks pretty awesome!  I think the video said the production version will fit a suppressor and a weapon light.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like my Roni.

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/jerrellwise/media/Gun%20Pics/_DSC1534_zps8yvmdhnd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/_DSC1534_zps8yvmdhnd.jpg</a>

That being said, the mini Roni looks pretty awesome!  I think the video said the production version will fit a suppressor and a weapon light.
View Quote

That's actually kind of sexy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
It is super light, fast to engage, and is Glock 17 reliable!  I am not a huge fan of how it LOOKS, but I am a huge fan on how it WORKS!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm partial to the Micro Roni Stab myself. No tax stamp needed.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%202/mic%20roni%20a_zpsfamidqb3.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%202/mic%20roni%20a_zpsfamidqb3.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Stop. I can only get so erect.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan on getting the stocked version that has a built in light and is suppressor ready. Just over two weeks into my F1... probably another 3-4 months to go
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%202/mic%20roni%20a_zpsfamidqb3.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%202/mic%20roni%20a_zpsfamidqb3.jpeg</a>

How is that not an AOW?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
They may have to modify the foregrip thingie, I think it's in for ATF review at the moment
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How is that not an AOW?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm partial to the Micro Roni Stab myself. No tax stamp needed.

How is that not an AOW?

Might be over 26" long?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
What's that under barrel looking thing?  I like how they incorporated the spare mag holder into the VFG. And of course the folding stock!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the cover over the trigger guard?  Is that their version of a safety?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the cover over the trigger guard?  Is that their version of a safety?
View Quote

I believe so
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Needs more 10mm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
That is very nice. Tempted to SBR my G19.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They may have to modify the foregrip thingie, I think it's in for ATF review at the moment
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to this article, it's already been cleared by the ATF as a non-NFA gun.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/caa-introducing-the-brace-equipped-mic-roni-stab-shot-show-2016/

The MIC-RONI-STAB is set to launch in March and has already been cleared by the ATF, so as long as you use these enclosure as indicated by the ATF and the manufacturer, it is completely legal to use these kits with your Glock without any tax stamps or paperwork. The MIC-RONI-STAB was developed specifically for the U.S. market to comply with American SBR laws.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How is that not an AOW?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that not an AOW?

Maybe the ATF decided the front grip...isn't a grip.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that not an AOW?

Until someone asks the ATF to clarify whether it is or isn't a grip and then they have no choice but to be a dick and say it's totally a grip.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Until someone asks the ATF to clarify whether it is or isn't a grip and then they have no choice but to be a dick and say it's totally a grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that not an AOW?

Well, it seems the ATF has already cleared it, so....ssssshhhhh.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know when these are going to be here?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone hear any more information? I'm itching to get one
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:01:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Old thread WANT bump. I wonde when tbese will be available. Way better looking than previous generations, imo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#30]
They posted on social media in the last few days that these would be soon. No date given
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Haven't they been saying "soon" for like forever??
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Their latest FB reply said hoping for September
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the look of the stab model.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Any info on pricing with and without the light?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I am a CAA dealer, I was told to expect an October release.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And you have my billing and shipping info from the 4" pistol quad rail.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a specific reason a Gen 2 won't fit? Any way around that?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:   Is there a specific reason a Gen 2 won't fit? Any way around that?
View Quote

No rail.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I see that the price is listed on CAA's site as $225 and it's available for preorder. I have two questions I need answered before I pull the trigger:

Suppressor support?
Is the light a different model or an add-on?

My G17 G4 F1 was approved a couple weeks ago so this is perfect timing
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Any reason why these wouldn't work with a Glock 22 with a lone wolf conversion barrel for 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any reason why these wouldn't work with a Glock 22 with a lone wolf conversion barrel for 9mm.
View Quote

They should work with a 31 and maybe even a 37 as well (I think) anything with the same frame/slide size
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Had me excited for a day.   On further thought... This design would transfer a whole lot of recoil forces on that Glock rail.    Don't think it can handle this.   I will let you guys experiment with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  Had me excited for a day.   On further thought... This design would transfer a whole lot of recoil forces on that Glock rail.    Don't think it can handle this.   I will let you guys experiment with it.
View Quote

Don't think that's the only place it contacts the pistol, unless I'm completely off base.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#48]
After all the NFA paperwork and tax stamp is accounted for, would you simply be able to take the Glock out of the RONI and use it, say for example, as your concealed carry pistol loaded and ready to go like any other handgun? Or is it that because its a now considered a rifle, this would be a no go? I have heard conflicting reports, most likely do to conflicting answers from the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After all the NFA paperwork and tax stamp is accounted for, would you simply be able to take the Glock out of the RONI and use it, say for example, as your concealed carry pistol loaded and ready to go like any other handgun?
View Quote

As far as I've read yes, with the exception of crossing state lines unless you have 5320.20's already.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Once the SBR registered glock is out of the stock, it is no longer in SBR form, so one should be able to do anything with it that you would a normal pistol.

If I take my short barreled upper off my SBR AR lower and attach a 16" upper, it is no longer an SBR in that configuration.

I am not an attorney.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top