BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Just picked up a Gen 2 9mm pistol.

Planning on form 1 to sbr as soon as I can.

I bought the brace version so I can enjoy shooting it while waiting for the stamp.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How have you guys filled out your Form 1's? Also did you paper or e-file? My nightmare is being denied after 41p, having been denied digital before I was able to resubmit then was approved but what happens if it is denied after 41p? I would be pissed! Any help appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
What I used (and Class3 dealer used on a Kriss Form4)...

Manuf: Kriss USA Inc

Model: SDP SPD (pistol) or CRB (carbine)

Measurement: Caliber, then put 45

OR

Measurement: MM, then put 9

Short Barreled Rifle

Length from Kriss website: 24"

Its straightforward with this one. Kriss uses three letter acronyms for their models, which makes things simple after you figure that out. Don't put "Vector".

If you were doing a Form4 for a factory sbr, then Model: SBR.

eta I'm not approved yet, but I followed suit with a large ClassIII dealer and what others have used in theoir Form1.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#4]
deleted
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Model: SPD (pistol).
View Quote

Is that a typo?  Did you mean SDP?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Model: SPD (pistol).

Yup that's a typo.  Sorry about that. The Kriss site has all the specs and model acronyms too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What about manufacturer?  I chose "Kriss USA Inc" (not "Kriss"), because that's what's on the shipping box and stamped on the receiver.

ETA: still waiting for Form 1 review.  Unknown if I will get approved with this manufacturer
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about manufacturer?  I chose "Kriss USA Inc" (not "Kriss"), because that's what's on the shipping box and stamped on the receiver.

ETA: still waiting for Form 1 review.  Unknown if I will get approved with this manufacturer
View Quote

I put 'Kriss USA Inc' too, and 'United States' for the country.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for updates
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Picking up mine tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I went ahead and bought a Kriss pistol adapter for my carbine/CRB, so I could get the barrel cut before the Form1 is approved. I know one shop can do the cut, and maybe one other, that happens to be local. Otherwise, I have to wait til the Form1 is approved, its engraved, and then I can send off to Kriss for a new 5.5" barrel, at the tune of $500+ .

I am really liking the whole package of a Kriss Vector, but I wouldn't own one as a carbine/CRB without plans for sbr'ing it. Makes me want to get the barrel cut that much faster (and cheaper!). Besides, the pistols/SDP are priced about the same and seem more popular then the carbine/CRB (for obvious reasons...sbr).

Anyway, I don't plan to choot mine anymore as a carbine/CRB. The POA matched POI very well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyway, I don't plan to choot mine anymore as a carbine/CRB. The POA matched POI very well.
View Quote

ATF says once a rifle, always a rifle, unless it was a pistol first. Anything made from something that left the factory as a rifle is an SBR, irregardless of if it has a stock.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Bigred200e is correct.  You can't legally shorten the barrel until your Tax Stamp comes back because your Kriss left the factory as a rifle.  If you do you have committed a felony.  Who can cut the barrel for you?  I don't know of any smith willing to try as the barrel cannot be removed from the receiver without special factory tooling.  I guess you could just chop the barrel but you would not be able to thread the muzzle with concentric threads.  That is why most of us that have SBR's purchased the pistol version.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the posts!

My plan was to use the pistol adaptor for the purpose of traveling out of state after SBR approval. If I read the NFA Form correctly, I would need to put only the state I'm traveling to on my Form (and not all the states in between)...if the SBR was in pistol or rifle form while passing through those states (if legal within those states). I'd be sure to NOT also have the folding stock if in pistol form OR the short barreled upper if in rifle form, in my vehicle.

I may need to keep a full length rifle upper for my travel purposes instead, which is obviously a much more costly plan, vs just a pistol/stock adaptor, which I already have...the pistol adaptor, the folding stock, and the M4 tube adaptor too.

My Form1s are still newly submitted, so I have time to make plans for future ownership/travel, etc. I hate to think about it, but I may be better off to cancel my Form1, sell the CRB, and just go for another Form4 factory SBR (I have a Form1 and Form4 submitted, different calibers).

There's a machine shop in TX that has been cutting/threading Kriss barrels in their jig, without removing the barrel (I've seen the work and its 100%). There's also an experienced local gunsmith with the press that may be able to remove and cut/thread the barrel, then repress the barrel into the upper.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a early version 45 SBR. Has been great started to jam a little added some oil and it's good to go now. Mine lies to be run fairly wet.
My biggest complaint is that it's a pain to clean the trigger housing. And the barrel and the sights move independent of each other. Ones on the upper and the other on the lower. With they would attach like a removable scope and lock in place.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top