Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2016 11:38:35 PM EDT
Or just put together a 9mm AR?  

I'm seriously considering a good 9mm PCC for a range toy and maybe to compete in the new PCC class in IPSC.  What are the pros & cons?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Scorpion.  Simple blow back design and not spin off of an AR.   Cheap quality mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
- Are you going to suppress it? Scorpion, hands down.

- Is the MPX worth two scorpions to you? If not, Scorpion.

- Do you have faith in SIG given the cleary-still-in-beta launches of the MPX and MCX? Scorpion

- Is it important to have something you'll post in picture threads? MPX

- Are you going to cut the barrel down? MPX

- Does $20 MSRP mags sound better than $70 mags? Scorpion

- Are you going to train heavily with an AR and need the exact same manual of arms? MPX

- Do you need to run the same trigger as your AR? MPX

- Is it important to be ultimately reliably and simple working? Scorpion
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Either the Scorpion or the MPX over an 9mm AR15.

I have the MPX and really like it so far.  No complaints whatsoever suppressed or otherwise despite some of the hyperbolic complaints that people post about it.  No gas in the face, no reliability issues, no problems getting magazines and I REALLY don't care that they are more expensive in the big picture.

I do not have a Scorpion but it's looks like an awesome option.  I'm enjoying the PCC category a lot right now so it might be on my list.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I'd go with the MPX as I've read a few complaints with mags cracking on the CZ scorpion if people left the mags loaded.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I'd go with the MPX as I've read a few complaints with mags cracking on the CZ scorpion if people left the mags loaded.
View Quote

Old news. Second hand.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Cz scorpion. Fun gun, great SBR, and well priced. You don't have to deal with gen1&gen2 incompatibility issues. If you have the money to spend, get an mp5 variant.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Old news. Second hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old news. Second hand.

Agreed. Known issue with a batch of mags. It's a weak argument to say CZ Mag Issue, when the MPX has Gen1 and Gen2 within months of launch. Definitely not something of concern with either option.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
No gas in the face,
View Quote

Look.... Here's the thing... I've shot the MPX with a 45 can myself, and it was ALMOST as gassy a 9mm blowback AR. It's a hard claim to say "not gassy" and have that be the end of it. It's not like there is just one person saying this.

There are STILL people who claim their 9mm ARs aren't gassy.

IMO, SIG messed up when they chose piston. 9mm is low pressure, so the port is right at the chamber. Which of course is going to show they needed all the gas they could get. The gun was SUPPOSED to have an adjustable gas block, maybe Gen3 fixes this.

OP will just have to make his own opinion about it. It's kind of a subjective thing.... But sort of not. It's clearly apparent. Some people may be more or less sensitive to the ammonia in their eyes however, some people may take one shot per 3 seconds outdoors with wind and never notice it, or be fairly short or fairly tall or for some other reason have their head away from the gun.

I think of it like I think of dead pixels or TV black levels... when you know what to look for, it's impossible to miss, when you don't, ignorance is bliss.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Supressor? Then Scorpion.

It kind of sucks because I really like my MPX being all metal with parts that are interchangeable with an AR. The MPX charging handle area vents directly into your eyes when shooting NTCH while suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the feedback.  It seems pretty unanimous.  My competition pistol is a CZ 75 Tactical Sport so I'm a pretty big CZ fan anyway.  I really like the longer handguard on the Sig, but I haven't had my hands on a Scorpion yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Really like my MPX.  Runs great and gas is not an issue with Octane 45HD.  Sure is pricey, though.

My 9mm AR runs great and gas is no problem there either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm currently going through the same decision.  The biggest disadvantage of the Scorpion to me was not being able to bury a suppressor into the handguard.  After thinking this completely through though, I've decided to not do that anyways.  If I want to shoot it at a match, I won't be running a suppressor so having a 4" barrel buried in a handguard isn't going to work.  Now I'm planning to sbr a Scorpion pistol and go with a short suppressor (Omega 9k?) to make up for the barrel length (vs. a 4" barrel and full length suppressor).
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I went with the CZ because I couldn't build a better 9mm AR for the same price & the Sig would have been about what I would have spent on my build
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went with the CZ because I couldn't build a better 9mm AR for the same price & the Sig would have been about what I would have spent on my build
View Quote

I came to the same conclusion.  An AR build using a dedicated 9mm receiver will cost $850 to $950 and will still be a Frankengun (an AR-15 with a caliber conversion).  I'd prefer the Scorpion at roughly the same price (with the stock kit).
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Get Both....I did

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agreed. Known issue with a batch of mags. It's a weak argument to say CZ Mag Issue, when the MPX has Gen1 and Gen2 within months of launch. Definitely not something of concern with either option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old news. Second hand.

Good to know. I hadn't really been following it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Zero gas.  Perfectly reliable.  Cheap mags.  Low cost of entry. Just plain fun.

There can be only one.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Got both, SBRed both, EVO has my vote.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#21]
scorpion evo
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]
A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!!!!!

A simple comparison (IMO, YMMV):

Weight:  Scorpion
Trigger pull:  Vector
Recoil:  Vector
Sling options:  Scorpion
Price:  Scorpion
Mag Availability:  Vector
Length:  Vector
Ergonomics:  Scorpion
Disassembly:  Scorpion
Barrel length:  Scorpion
Suppressor threading:  Vector
Reliability:  Scorpion?
Cool factor: Vector!

To start out with, I paid around $850 for the Scorpion a year ago.  The Vector just ran me around $1275.  So there is a bit of a price gap between the two.  The Scorpion is nearly a full pound lighter despite being slightly longer.  You can really feel it too when you try and one arm the weapons (yes, I've duel wielded them, and yes, it's as amazing as you'd imagine).  Barrel length is coming up on 8" for the Scorpion while the Vector only has 5.5".  The Vector clearly wins in the trigger category.  It is smooth, has a bit of very light take up before a super crisp and clean break.  The Scorpion....leaves a bit to be desired in the trigger department, but its not terrible.  It smoothed out quite a bit over the course of 200 rounds or so.  

Recoil wise, the Scorpion has a bit of a up-and-to-the-right snap to it while the Vector is almost effortlessly easy to keep on target.  The Scorpion has sling points thoughtfully built into the frame at fairly optimum points.  The Vector, however, does not.  In fact, I attached a Fortis sling point to the top rail, and using my Magpul sling has an alarming tendency to move my safety selector to fire while raising the weapon up.  Not cool.

The Scorpion takes cheap, transparent mags that run around $20 or so.  They are not metal lined and out of six 30-round mags and two 20-round mags, I had a single 30 and a single 20-rounder develop cracked feed lips after being left loaded.  The Vector takes the prevalent Glock 17 and 33-round magazines that can be found just about everywhere.  I've been getting my 33-rounders for 16.99 at a local store.  They're Korean type mags, but they work just fine.  This works out in my favor as one of my favorite carry pistols is my Glock 17.  Woot for mag interchangeability!!!

I like mag changes on the Scorpion better.  The mag well is flared a bit and the ambi mag release is tits.  Enough said.  Mags drop free from both weapon systems.  Ergonomics....The Scorpions lines are easy to grip using just about any hand hold position you want.  I think it naturally points better, though just like everyone else, I hate the grip angle.  The Vector, if you hold it from the mag well how you initially want to hold it, can lock the bolt open.  You have to consciously move your hand either further down the mag well or a bit further down the barrel length.  

Both weapons are easy to disassemble and clean, however the Scorpion takes the edge with just a single pin to pull to separate the lower half.  Both weapons have been reliable for me, however, the Scorpion has a much simpler design which inherently lends itself to more reliability.  The Vector has been fine so far, but with it being so new and unproven.....well, only time will tell.  The Vector was MUCH easier to suppress since it has 1/2x28 threads already cut into the barrel where the Scorpion requires a moderately expensive adapter.  I did have to buy a small suppressor spacer for the Vector because the threads where too long for my Gemtech Tundra, but that only ran me around $15 - $20 bucks.  Neither weapon will put any gas in your face.

I bought the Vector just because I think it's one of the coolest weapons on the market.  No other reason.  It's fun, its sleek and it's a fun gun to shoot.  To me, it was well worth the money for the mag interchangeability and the cool factor.  

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/jLFdGcz.jpg?1
View Quote

My 2¢ is that the vector is a better comparison with its internal workings. And for magazine compatibility you can't go wrong if you have a Glock, and with the recent drop in price it makes it a good option. But the mpx is still an awesome looking peace, I also have an evo and love shooting it. My only issues with the evo is the safety on the right side and the sights.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm just waiting for a civi MP7, or a more reasonable TP9.
Beyond that these guns are cool but don't to much more than a smaller AR.
that being said I think 9mm ammo is cheap so these might just be fun guns. If so I'd probably build my own tiny 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Look.... Here's the thing... I've shot the MPX with a 45 can myself, and it was ALMOST as gassy a 9mm blowback AR. It's a hard claim to say "not gassy" and have that be the end of it. It's not like there is just one person saying this.

IMO, SIG messed up when they chose piston. 9mm is low pressure, so the port is right at the chamber. Which of course is going to show they needed all the gas they could get. The gun was SUPPOSED to have an adjustable gas block, maybe Gen3 fixes this.

OP will just have to make his own opinion about it. It's kind of a subjective thing.... But sort of not. It's clearly apparent. Some people may be more or less sensitive to the ammonia in their eyes however, some people may take one shot per 3 seconds outdoors with wind and never notice it, or be fairly short or fairly tall or for some other reason have their head away from the gun.

I think of it like I think of dead pixels or TV black levels... when you know what to look for, it's impossible to miss, when you don't, ignorance is bliss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No gas in the face,

It's easy to claim it when that was my experience based on actually owning one.  I didn't say that was the end of it I just said that I haven't experienced it.  I've been shooting it indoors and I know what gas in the face is so it has nothing to do with ignorance.  Maybe it's my suppressor or maybe it's the ammo I'm using but I'm getting nothing in the face that I can perceive.  Even if there is something and I just can't tell that's still useful information for someone wanting to know how big of a deal it is.

My point to the OP is that there is a lot of hyperbole floating around about the MPX so I'm throwing in my experience.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/jLFdGcz.jpg?1

I did have to buy a small suppressor spacer for the Vector because the threads where too long for my Gemtech Tundra, but that only ran me around $15 - $20 bucks.  

View Quote

Where did you get this?  I need one as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazon.  Silencerco was the maker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a lot of counterfeit trash on Amazon. I wouldn't risk destroying my suppressor on an amazon purchase, regardless of who they say is selling or fulfilling the order.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I saw the scorpion at my dealer for $699. I'm going to go back and if so I might pick one up. I don't really want one, and I don't really have the coin for it. They don't do much for me, but they would be good election insurance. This the cheapest price I could find. I may be mistaken though.
What do you guys think? I've already spent a lot in NFA stuff with upcoming 41p. It's not a must for me. But like I've said I've always wanted a "under a jacket" sub-gun. Plus it would be cheap to shoot and I've been entertaining the idea of a 9mm AR just for plinking.
Aside from asking is there any way to know if they have standard 1/2x28 threads?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I saw the scorpion at my dealer for $699. I'm going to go back and if so I might pick one up. I don't really want one, and I don't really have the coin for it. They don't do much for me, but they would be good election insurance. This the cheapest price I could find. I may be mistaken though.
What do you guys think? I've already spent a lot in NFA stuff with upcoming 41p. It's not a must for me. But like I've said I've always wanted a "under a jacket" sub-gun. Plus it would be cheap to shoot and I've been entertaining the idea of a 9mm AR just for plinking.
Aside from asking is there any way to know if they have standard 1/2x28 threads?
View Quote

The yet to be released gen 2 will have 1/2x28 threads. All current have the old thread pitch unless a previous owner had the barrel rethreaded.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's a lot of counterfeit trash on Amazon. I wouldn't risk destroying my suppressor on an amazon purchase, regardless of who they say is selling or fulfilling the order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's okay.  If it wasn't what I needed or was machined badly or looked like a...I don't know... A fake spacer, I guess...I would have just returned it to Amazon.  It has Silencerco packaging and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
They make a Vector in 9mm?  I really, really want an SBR'd 9mm carbine.  Really.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

For $699, run, don't walk, to that dealer and buy it now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They make a Vector in 9mm?  I really, really want an SBR'd 9mm carbine.  Really.
View Quote

Yes they do. They are down to ~$1000 now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry guys. I went back to the dealer and it was only 1 used Evo they had. Which explains the price.
Gotta grab them fast!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
- Are you going to suppress it? Scorpion, hands down.

- Is the MPX worth two scorpions to you? If not, Scorpion.

- Do you have faith in SIG given the cleary-still-in-beta launches of the MPX and MCX? Scorpion

- Is it important to have something you'll post in picture threads? MPX

- Are you going to cut the barrel down? MPX

- Does $20 MSRP mags sound better than $70 mags? Scorpion

- Are you going to train heavily with an AR and need the exact same manual of arms? MPX

- Do you need to run the same trigger as your AR? MPX

- Is it important to be ultimately reliably and simple working? Scorpion
View Quote

No sarcasm at all intended, that was an immensly usefl little flow chart you made. Sounds like I should get a Scorpion carbine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that the case
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#39]
That MPX though...

Reason I didn't go with the Scorpion is because I can't stand the looks. Sig can't release MPX parts in a timely fashion and it is heavy, but I enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That MPX though...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/manosteel48/Mobile%20Uploads/EDE8CC55-983B-41FC-A767-ABCD49E1D827.jpg

Reason I didn't go with the Scorpion is because I can't stand the looks. Sig can't release MPX parts in a timely fashion and it is heavy, but I enjoy shooting it.
View Quote
Don't really have a dog in this fight. I already have an MP5 SBR. The SIG MPX is very tempting, I like the asthetics a lot more than the CZ. IMHO
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Wanted the MPX, but talked myself out of it.  
Changed to the scorpion.
Finally held one, hated the safety and it just felt cheap.
Went back to MPX lust
Gen 1 vs 2 thing happened so I sat on it
Rep came out and let me shoot his select fire MPX, fell in love.  Felt great, reminded me of the MP5 but handled like a AR and had little recoil.  
Ordered a pistol and it gets here on Thursday, and form 1 will be in to sign that day also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I have had a Scorpion from the first batch released and had a MPX for just shy of 4 months. Lots of gas with my Form 1 can on the MPX, no gas with the Evo. Widely available cheap mags for the EVO, semi available expensive mags for the MPX, CZ had a bad batch of mags and replaces them no questions asked and has since corrected the issue. Trigger on the MPX is better, using most AR style components, trigger on my EVO is good but really heavy. Charging handle on the MPX is stupid, there have been far better options out there for over 50 years and they stick with one of the most shit designs just because "lol AR" and its not even compatible with existing AR handles, EVO is a little short but works great and the ability to HK slap it is dope as fuck. The MPX feels a little more "robust" being made mostly of metal, not saying the Evo feels flimsy at all it feels very solid, just the MPX feels more solid. I sold the MPX because it was just too "meh" and I didn't want to be stuck with 9mm AR that isnt really an AR and having to deal with the gen1 vs gen2 crap, far happier with my Evo. MPX isnt bad, but its not good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#43]
The MPX tele stock is more integrated with the MPX upper...but you'll need to extend to crack the MPX open.  LOTS of accessories for the MPX since it uses AR triggers and selectors.  Supposedly, you'll be able to get other(40, 357sig) calibers to work with the MPX when Sig releases the hardware.  Barrel change is so freakin easy with the MPX....two screws... so freakin easy.  Really gassy with an Octane and Multimount;  less gassy with a TiRant 9s...very minimal to no gas with the TiRant 45.

The Scorpion stock feels really good...I like it better than the MPX Skeleton or tele stock.  The Scorpion is .50lbs lighter with stocks, but to me feels much lighter...maybe balances better?  Lots of plastic on the Scorpion ...IMO...kinda feels airsofty.  922R, welded trigger screw, red loctite barrel nut...WTF.  To SBR the MPX...all you have to do is find the correct torx bit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The MPX tele stock is more integrated with the MPX upper...but you'll need to extend to crack the MPX open.  LOTS of accessories for the MPX since it uses AR triggers and selectors.  Supposedly, you'll be able to get other(40, 357sig) calibers to work with the MPX when Sig releases the hardware.  Barrel change is so freakin easy with the MPX....two screws... so freakin easy.  Really gassy with an Octane and Multimount;  less gassy with a TiRant 9s...very minimal to no gas with the TiRant 45.

The Scorpion stock feels really good...I like it better than the MPX Skeleton or tele stock.  The Scorpion is .50lbs lighter with stocks, but to me feels much lighter...maybe balances better?  Lots of plastic on the Scorpion ...IMO...kinda feels airsofty.  922R, welded trigger screw, red loctite barrel nut...WTF.  To SBR the MPX...all you have to do is find the correct torx bit.
View Quote

Looking at your username is there any chance you're in the Seattle area and willing to let me run a mag through each gun? I'm a member at an indoor range in bellevue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I like the AR 9mm because AR

Unlike others on here, I actually like the looks of the Scorpion.  

Regardless of which you get, SBR them.  As pistols I think they all suck.  As SBR's, they really come into their own.

As far as suppressors, I only use my suppressor on my Scorpion, less gas in the face, seems quieter by a bit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Looking at your username is there any chance you're in the Seattle area and willing to let me run a mag through each gun? I'm a member at an indoor range in bellevue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey....yeah...the Scorpion is still a pistol, but the MPX is GTG in SBR config.  Send me an email.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I never had much interest in the MPX, mainly because of price and it does what my QTC10 AR build already does. I have been on the fence for a Vector just because it looks so freaking slick! However, I just snagged a Scorpion on GB the other night and I'm waiting to form 1 it as soon as I get my eyes on that serial!

Here's my QTC10 5.5" SBR that takes Glock mags.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Capitol Armory had a Scorpion EVO 3 that they converted to SBR with factory parts and registered as well.

Thanks to this thread, and to CA, I picked it up.

I had pondered the Scorpion before in the past but honestly, I didn't really care to buy it from a dealer, have it shipped to my FFL, transferred, then deal with ATF/eForms, then wait and constantly be searching for in stock 922/SBR kits and having engraving taken care of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top