Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2016 3:38:04 PM EDT
Met some goals a while back that I owe myself a new toy for and just haven't made time to pick something.  I've mostly narrowed it down to a Sig MPX or an MKE MP5 clone (either Z5-P or Z5-RS).  Either will be Form 1'd and will host a TiRant 9 or Obsidian nearly 100% of the time.

I had initially decided on an MPX, but with the issues that still surround the platform on generation 2 (many of which I don't really care about), I've shied away a bit and looked in other directions - at the MP5 clones.  And it sounds like MKE is one of the better options out there until stepping up to an H&K or a full custom build.  I've also day dreamed a bit about a B&T APC9, but that initial price tag, for a select fire only weapon, is a bit hard to stomach.

Thoughts on which platform provides a better fun gun experience?  I have shot neither, but watched enough video and read enough first hand experiences to feel like I own both already.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently my original post was too long, so here's the chopped version:

I was in your EXACT same situation three months ago. I had just purchased a CZ EVO 3 and figured I might as well get a step-sibling for it. Enter the dilemma: MPX or MP5K. I REALLY liked the look and concept behind the MPX, but just couldn't get over my desire for an MP5 clone. I had watched prices clones for a couple years (and MKE having recently released their lineup) so I decided to go with the Zenith Z-5P.

The Zenith shoots well, both steel and brass-cased ammo. Recoil is smooth, fit and finish are excellent. Welds are excellent as well (at least compared to my C93)

Overall, I'm very pleased with my Z-5P and, funding available, will acquire an MPX sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Met some goals a while back that I owe myself a new toy for and just haven't made time to pick something.  I've mostly narrowed it down to a Sig MPX or an MKE MP5 clone (either Z5-P or Z5-RS).  Either will be Form 1'd and will host a TiRant 9 or Obsidian nearly 100% of the time.

I had initially decided on an MPX, but with the issues that still surround the platform on generation 2 (many of which I don't really care about), I've shied away a bit and looked in other directions - at the MP5 clones.  And it sounds like MKE is one of the better options out there until stepping up to an H&K or a full custom build.  I've also day dreamed a bit about a B&T APC9, but that initial price tag, for a select fire only weapon, is a bit hard to stomach.

Thoughts on which platform provides a better fun gun experience?  I have shot neither, but watched enough video and read enough first hand experiences to feel like I own both already.
View Quote

I've owned an MP5, MP5-K-RS, an MPX, an CZ EVO3, an Uzi, a B&T TP9, among others.... Here is the short version: SIG FUCKED UP. The MPX was supposed to come with an adjustable regulator, and likely for cost or complexity, they removed it. It suppressed like any 9mm AR (terrible). End.

As to the dilemma... The MP5 is a solid gun, I'll keep my fullsize forever. I didn't like the reverse stretch / K, it just doesn't run as nice as the fullsize. It has cool guy factor, but I'm good on that.

The worst gun to suppress is the TP9. It's so bad.

The Uzi and CZ suppress great. The Uzi is a very dead platform, cool if you can get fullauto version, but otherwise, I see no point personally.

Now.. The Evo3... My new favorite. It's low cost, medium support, CZ has been EXCELLENT to deal with, and the gun runs really well suppressed or not. It's perfect really. It's a reasonable HK UMP. Plus, $20 mags... come on! I like that the CZ functions just like the MP5 for manual of arms, with the addition of a bolt release that feels like the AR to me (strong hand thumb presses when new mag inserted).

I feel like the MP5 is the best gun in this list, but it's stupid expensive for what it is, your ability to purchase parts comes down to maybe 3 aftermarket dealers and ZERO factory support. The CZ makes a nice complement to the MP5, and for the budget minded, I wouldn't think twice.

The MPX imo is a shitshow that I wouldn't even consider touching until they address the gas system in Gen3... Which given that gun's history, I'd assume is coming in about a month. ;)
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to suppress the MPX is a poor choice without a regulator because you'll get too much gas in your face.  MP5 clone or Scorpion Evo is the way to go IMHO.

You can see how much gas comes back at you at the 25min mark.
https://youtu.be/sS0rEazh1kI?t=25m15s
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to suppress the MPX is a poor choice without a regulator because you'll get too much gas in your face.  MP5 clone or Scorpion Evo is the way to go IMHO.

View Quote

What suppressor and ammo did you run on yours that gave too much gas? Curious as I hear mixed reports on this so curious what you ran.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:What suppressor and ammo did you run on yours that gave too much gas? Curious as I hear mixed reports on this so curious what you ran.
View Quote

The can was a SilencerCo Octane 9, I believe.  The ammo was Speer and American Eagle.  AE wasn't too big of a surprise based on my experience with their 5.7 ammo but I was a little surprised by the Speer stuff.  We had a box from Academy too but I don't remember the brand.  I think they were 147 grain but the Academy stuff might have been 165.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll let you know in a week or two.  I have an MPX gen 2 with sig brace and MKE MP5p waiting for my dealer to get back from shot show.

I have a Tirant 9mm to try on them as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What suppressor and ammo did you run on yours that gave too much gas? Curious as I hear mixed reports on this so curious what you ran.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straight up... You're going to get mixed reports. You're going to see quite a few people who will tell you with no uncertaintly that THEIR MPX with X can and Y ammo has "No Gassing At All".

1. Are you certain those people know what gassing feels like? Smells like? Are their eyes less sensitive to the ammonia than yours? If you're a johnny-plinker you might not know what to look/feel for. You might be at a range that only allows 1 shot per second or some other crap.

2. Not many people want to say the gun they just spent 3 years waiting for, filed a tax stamp, paid the extra $200, engraved with their personal info, and REALLY WANT to love - will be upfront that it's as gassy as a 9mm AR.

I was fortunate enough to really feel one out, bought one, tried my very high volume subgun can, and concluded it was always going to be gassy, sold it for a little profit - then bought the CZ to go with the MP5. Filed the stamp on the CZ after testing for the same issues.

No one has a magic can, or magic ammo. The MPX is as gassy as any 9mm AR I've ever used (which is to say quiet a bit). It's really a shame that they dropped the regulator from the design, and now with Kevin Brittingham gone from SIG, I honestly doubt their suppressors or guns designed to be suppressed get the required level of commitment. It's a shame, because design-wise, the MPX is a beauty, but they failed to improve on the MP5 in terms of the action which is really the most important thing there is.

That said... No suppressors involved or a way to tune the gas system to the can for dedicated suppressed, I think the MPX has some merit! ... Then again, the videos of the MCX failing at even the slightest mud or dirt would have me concerend - since the MPX uses an identical but smaller MCX action.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the input.

Like mentioned, I've read varying experiences about both platforms either suppressing beautifully or equivalent to parking your face behind the single 14" stack of a brodozer's diesel.  I'm leaning slightly toward the MKE clone right now and typically do until I start eyeballing pictures of MPXs online. My biggest concern with the mp5 clone is left handed operation of the bolt and the right hand specific grip.

And while I was initially a fan of the CZ, I just find them ugly these days and the only attractive qualities are the price and ability to be ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]
This is good to read. I run two different 9mm AR sbr set ups and have no complaints about the blowback. Should be fine with MPX. MP5 is my favorite suppressed but i haven't gotten the adapter yet to run a suppressor on the CZ.

Thanks for insight.

OP if I was starting over again I would likely still get the MP5 clone first.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My biggest concern with the mp5 clone is left handed operation of the bolt and the right hand specific grip.

And while I was initially a fan of the CZ, I just find them ugly these days and the only attractive qualities are the price and ability to be ambidextrous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My biggest concern with the mp5 clone is left handed operation of the bolt and the right hand specific grip.

The grip on the MP5 can be swapped out for the Navy actual or Navy-style housing. One takes the FBI/Burst/Navy trigger pack (the most modern), and the Navy-Style pack takes the standard SEF trigger group. Those are non-right hand specific. As to the cocking handle, you're on your own. Make it work :)

Quoted:
OP if I was starting over again I would likely still get the MP5 clone first.

As to the MPX vs MP5, yes. If MP5 isn't in the budget I wouldn't second guess the CZ in a heartbeat. I love my fullsize MP5, but it's a very high quality clone with all real HK parts, I don't want to run it as hard as I would a beater carbine. That's what the CZ is for.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot both side by side with a friend. They are both accurate and control well. Neither suffered any reliability issues. I didn't notice an annoying amount of gas coming off the MPX.

I bought the MPX because it was current production and was counting on years of factory support from SIG. I can't say they've done that. In fact they offer very little support and seem to be making a point of alienating the early buyers of the MPX. Mags are high priced too. Still waiting on parts from SIG like barrels, stocks etc.

All that being said other then the support issues I like the MPX a lot. SIG not so much.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Both my MKE z5k and Sig MPX gen 2 with brace arrived a day ago.

I have had a chance to go over them fairly well.  Not shot either yet,(this weekend), but I already decided I'm going to sell the MPX.

Biggest factor was when I placed it down next to my 10.5" AR SBR.  They are basically the same size!  I don't see a need for a 9mm that is essentially the same size as my rifle that can shoot 5.56.

With that being said....I was surprised that the Mp5 was as heavy as it is. It feels heavier in the pistol form than the MPX with the sig brace.

Once I run at least 500 rounds thru the MKE to ensure proper function, I will be SBRing it.  The last reason I'm going with the MP5 is because it is just so damn sexy!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Picked up a MKE RS and P.  Both are nice, I agree that the RS shoots better than the P, but I wanted the P for the cool factor.  Also have a Evo 3 and a 5.5" AR 9mm.  AR is the most gassy, and probably the one I like the least at this point.  EVO 3 is very nice and I'm digging the after market support.  

If the budget was limited and I could only have one, I'd go for the EVO 3.  If the budget wasn't a concern, and I could only have one, I'd get a HK94 or similar clone/copy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all of the input. I've decided on a Zenith import, just waiting on Atlantic's sales staff to return from Vegas to help with my order. And I'm mostly decided on a Z-5P versus the non-RS RS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought the Z-5P and liked it so much I bought the RS.  Both from Atlantic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Z-5P ordered and shipped this morning from Atlantic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they have any discounts for arfcom members?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a post in their industry forum saying ARFCOM members can call them about a discount.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought the Z-5P and liked it so much I bought the RS.  Both from Atlantic.
View Quote

Ha, hah, I did the same thing!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They have a post in their industry forum saying ARFCOM members can call them about a discount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dang it!  that would have been nice to know before I bought an RS and P.  Oh well...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top