Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 11:43:25 AM EDT
How reliable is your CX4?

I bought a CX4 last year to use in steel challenge matches. So far I've ran about five hundred rounds through it with only a magazine related malfunction. It was a GI issue 92 magazine. I'm using 147 grain bullets that I reload.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine runs like a top. Many people complain about the trigger,but I have gotten used to it and have not had any issues.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had a failure in mine that couldn't be attributed to ammo or magazines.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine since they came out, thousands of rounds, only FMJ though, not one malfunction, Asian mags, Mecgar, OEM, not a hitch, very accurate too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one in .40S&W it's been solid through a few thousand rounds....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have over 3,000 rounds through my 9mm, Beretta mags, over the past 3 years.  I have used many types of ammo Winchester, Federal, Tula BassMax,, etc., but no steel ammo.   Only a few (less than 10) ammo-related issues.

No problems with the rifle so far.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Only 2-3 hundred rounds through my CX4 Storm PX4 version in 40 S&W shooting 165 gr. FMJ-FP's and 165 gr. HP's without any issues. My firing pin indentations are very light but no misfires. Just curious if light primer indents is common or if the primers are being flattened and the indents just look like light hits?? These are not light loads nor maximum.  I shoot the same loads using CCI primers in my pistol and CX4.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Had mine awhile in .40. It's been very reliable. Only issue was a squib load in a bulk pack of Magtech. This was over 8 years ago, and not attributed to the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I was a very early adopter of the CX-4, mine is like SN 3xxx. I think I may have gotten it in 2004 at the latest. While I don't run a ton of ammo through it I have used it for over ten years now. My early model had a weak spring on the mag latch. That was a DIY ten minute fix (bend the spring on the latch). I also did a little DIY trigger job that really helped it. That was another ten or fifteen minute job. So, all stock, years of faithful service, what more can I ask of it?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]

I  have had my CX4 for almost 2 years, had one problem related to ammo, no gun malfunctions at all.

Fun gun to shoot. All my friends that shoot it for the first time absolutely love it.

Trigger pull takes a while to get used to, but that is easy to look pass.

I would recommend this gun to anyone

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Only a few hundred rounds thru mine and has been great so far. Does anyone know of parts that wear out on these?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only 2-3 hundred rounds through my CX4 Storm PX4 version in 40 S&W shooting 165 gr. FMJ-FP's and 165 gr. HP's without any issues. My firing pin indentations are very light but no misfires. Just curious if light primer indents is common or if the primers are being flattened and the indents just look like light hits?? These are not light loads nor maximum.  I shoot the same loads using CCI primers in my pistol and CX4.
View Quote

I use a lot of Wolf primers and they have a reputation for being harder than most. So far, I've never had any failures with my Beretta and light strikes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Only a few hundred rounds thru mine and has been great so far. Does anyone know of parts that wear out on these?
View Quote

They are not known for wearing out. You might want to check over at that Beretta discussion group on another site. Some people have complained about the action spring rod breaking and a guy runs a company called "Sierra Papa" making money by selling you after market parts you don't really need. From what I have seen and read the breakage of that rod is more due to people's carelessness than it actually wearing out.

The trigger is a simple DIY job that literally only takes just a few minutes.

Like any firearm wear will be a factor of how much you use it and how powerful the ammo you are running through it. If you are one of those who just can't stand to shoot anything less than +P+ through your firearm you may need to replace buffers and such sooner. As far as telling someone this or that part will wear out...no...can't name anything that is a real weakness. Its a Beretta, not some no-name wanta-be.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Firecop203 for the reply on my primer indents appearing to be light. Thought maybe the blowback action and light weight plastic hammer could be causing primers indents to be slightly pushed back out by normal pressure and not high pressure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Flawless operation with thousands and thousands of rounds.

Mine runs everything from low-powered Win.WB to +P loads. It definitely prefers heavier, warmer ammo and allows you to get into a trigger cadence that can dump rounds on target very quickly. With the weaker loaded ammo it almost seems to run in slow motion (but without failure) as you almost wait for the bolt to cycle. I love mine. I just wish it weren't so God Damn UGLY!

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one in 9mm. It has never failed to fire, never jammed it just shoots. I would say I have put 2500 rounds through it.   My only bitch is the trigger  kind of sucks.
I have the DeSantis nylon mag holders that slips on to the stock.
Under the bed right now.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My son and I went to another match today. We decided on a little side bet to see if he could beat his dad with his own gun. The scores haven't been posted yet, but if he beat me it wasn't by much. Together we shot about four hundred rounds of my 147 grain reloads. ZERO malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I love mine. No issues here but only a couple hundred through it, if that many.
I plan to sbr it. I also plan to do a lot of things but...
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just me, but I'd save my money and all the headaches of registration. I can stand my CX4 beside my 10.5" SBR and they are almost identical in overall length.

Oh yeah......I did lose the bet. He took first place in the match and I was second. He beat me by roughly ten seconds overall. I had to buy lunch and was happy to do it. Fun times.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just me, but I'd save my money and all the headaches of registration. I can stand my CX4 beside my 10.5" SBR and they are almost identical in overall length.

Oh yeah......I did lose the bet. He took first place in the match and I was second. He beat me by roughly ten seconds overall. I had to buy lunch and was happy to do it. Fun times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, the cx4 has the same OAL as a Colt 6933 Commando. Thats plenty short. It's because the magazine loads in the grip. The cx4 will always be shorter than say a cz scorpion because of where the mag loads.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#20]

I only have 7-800 rounds through mine but it has functioned perfectly.  I did have the trigger worked over by Sierra Papa and while expensive the trigger pull is much better now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Has the CX4 been discontinued?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had three--2 in 40 and one in 45.  I thought they were great.  I didn't keep a gun log at the time, so not sure of round counts.

but why would you buy one VS a CZ scorpion?  The Beretta costs just a little less and looks like a Cod.  

J/K about the CZ part.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've had three--2 in 40 and one in 45.  I thought they were great.  I didn't keep a gun log at the time, so not sure of round counts.

but why would you buy one VS a CZ scorpion?  The Beretta costs just a little less and looks like a Cod.  

J/K about the CZ part.
View Quote

Well, some actually like the looks of the CX-4. And to be honest, they are two entirely different birds, one is a carbine, the other a "pistol".  If you intend to make an SBR out of one then the CZ would be the way to go but in the process the price is going to extend well above the original price of the firearm as you have to buy the stock and then the stamp. Once its an SBR there are other considerations too. (can you say, "Form 5320.20")

Meanwhile the compact little CX-4 is merely a "rifle". Its nice, light, reliable and easy to transport and resale. Its all in what you want and what you are willing to do/spend.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Thousands of rounds , 100% reliable......
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Yes,  the CX-4 has been discontinued from importation according the Beretta Rep at the 2015 NRA Annual meeting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Dang, I guess they didn't sell as well as Beretta wanted them to.  I am glad I have mine as it has been flawless and is a good companion to my Beretta pistol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#27]
The CX-4 carbine never sold in really big numbers, everyone was busy buying up AR15's with their money. The CX-4 was not cheap either due to the dollar exchange rate, etc.
I was lucky as I got mine when they first came out and I don't want to make anyone feel bad by mentioning how much (little) I paid back then. Let's just say I was happy with the price.
I have resisted selling my CX-4 regardless of offers as I just don't see anything else taking its place. I have lots of other PCC's but none is as well made sized as well as the little Beretta.
There are still new CX-4's around on dealer's shelves. I know Knob Creek had some recently. I would tell anyone who thinks they might want one to grab one while you can.  Great little rifles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes,  the CX-4 has been discontinued from importation according the Beretta Rep at the 2015 NRA Annual meeting.
View Quote

Thanks... Thats a shame.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I had one for a while.  Performed flawlessly.  Kind of a novelty though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Been looking at getting a CX4. Now that I have a reliable job, I can think about getting one.

Hopefully I haven't the boat on it.

Saw them back in Battlestar Galactica and liked the look and feel.

Would like to find one and let my wife handle it. Figured a 9mm carbine would be perfect for her.

Any suggestions to find one now? In North Texas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#32]
There was one in EE not long ago. Don't know if it sold or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Been looking at getting a CX4. Now that I have a reliable job, I can think about getting one.

Hopefully I haven't the boat on it.

Saw them back in Battlestar Galactica and liked the look and feel.

Would like to find one and let my wife handle it. Figured a 9mm carbine would be perfect for her.

Any suggestions to find one now? In North Texas.
View Quote

Drive down to Austin and pick up the one from tx gun talk for $600.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife used to shoot her AR all the time that I built for her until she broke her collar bone. I got her the Storm and she's fuckin' Annie Oakley with the thing, she loves it.
I have over 20 mags that I load up the night before and she'll go through those is a half hour, it's an excellent gun and easy as hell to clean.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
How is it that people pick up this rumor (which is true as far as I can tell) and DON'T also pick up the second bit of information about it... that the reason they are not being imported is that India, or Phillipines or some Asian country wanted to arm their entire police force with them and there is no more production surplus available.

The firearm is not "going away" they are "getting scarce because someone is buying all of them."

Just wait a year or two and they'll be back.

In the mean time, watch out for neckbearding.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How is it that people pick up this rumor (which is true as far as I can tell) and DON'T also pick up the second bit of information about it... that the reason they are not being imported is that India, or Phillipines or some Asian country wanted to arm their entire police force with them and there is no more production surplus available.  
The firearm is not "going away" they are "getting scarce because someone is buying all of them."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. I saw the same thing recently about Beretta's big sale to South Asia. That would explain the lack of available CX4s. Either I'll wait or grab one from a personal sale ad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top