Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2015 3:12:41 AM EDT
I found a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine at a local store for $369.  Comes with a Choate side folding stock and does not include the original.
Finish is not terrible, but not great either.

I've always wanted one of these and would prefer the factory stock, but is this a decent deal?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:43:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I would buy it. Can't find much else in that price range.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would buy it. Can't find much else in that price range.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that.  Stock sucks, but its a great gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I forget what magazines they are set up for , are they available?

The camp carbines are known to shred the bolt buffer , the buffer may look fine but it is likely original to the gun and will self destruct with a handful of magazines. They are cheap and available if you search around on line .

The buffer is just a simple piece of poly or rubber that fits in the rear of the receiver but shooting the gun once it falls apart will allow the bolt to hammer the frame

Both Brownells and Midway carry the buffers
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
They use the Smith 59/5900 magazines; at least mine does. I've had no problem finding mags for it. The MecGar 20's have been fine in mine, and the MecGar and Smith 15's are fine also.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The side folder was all that was available for some time. People neglected their factory buffers and they fell apart, helped out by a lot of cleaning solution getting on them. Always replace the buffer with a Black Jack one. Also, put in the heavier spring on the bolt....get it from Wolff springs. Those two things make this rifle much better and it will last longer.

You got a good price on it, they go for much more in good shape.

OH, and I know where a very good original stock is....email me and I will fill you in.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned a couple of them, one in 9mm and one in .45. Eventually sold them both, but I've got other shoulder-fired guns in those calibers.

I bought the 9mm to give me something that had more range for shooting jackrabbits than a typical .22LR. Accuracy wasn't as good as a .22, but that could be because I was pushing plated bullets over 1500 fps. With jacketed ammo, it can do much better. The .45 was always a good shooter.

Trigger is heavy and squishy. Can't do much with it. But overall, they make a fun, handy shooter.

I had a few Mecgar 20-rd mags for a S&W pistol. They always ran well.

Here's the .45, which looks identical to the 9mm, other than the magazine.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine at a local store for $369.  Comes with a Choate side folding stock and does not include the original.
Finish is not terrible, but not great either.

I've always wanted one of these and would prefer the factory stock, but is this a decent deal?
View Quote

That choate side folder is worth almost as much as the gun. They did come with the CSF for a few. It really brought a premium during the 94-04 AWB.

Buy it then list the stock for trade.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, I got it home.  Thanks everyone.

A few things:
1)  Holy crap, the internals were full of gunk. It looks like the previous owner cleaned the bore but not the action and I think I know why:   Because of that front takedown pin that holds the trigger assembly to the receiver, this thing is harder to reassemble than my Ruger Mark II.  
2)  A little work with some cold blue (about 4-5 passes on a spot on the barrel) and overall the finish is very good now.
3)  Yes, it has the original buffer, which is in good shape, but I'm going to order a new one and a extra power recoil spring from Midway.  The front sight hood is missing, but that's only a few bucks from Midway as well.
4)  Is the extractor supposed to be triangle shaped where it engages the cartridge rim?  It doesn't get a grip on an aluminum snap cap and won't extract it from the chamber. A brass cased dummy extracts just fine though.

Quoted:
OH, and I know where a very good original stock is....email me and I will fill you in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Email sent.

Quoted:
That choate side folder is worth almost as much as the gun. They did come with the CSF for a few. It really brought a premium during the 94-04 AWB.

Interesting, they seem to go for $100 on Midway, or am I missing something?

ETA:  BTW, the factory magazine it came with is a 10 round mag so I assume it's a ban era rifle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Post 1975 Marlin rifles had the year of manufacture incorporated in the serial number.  Take the first two numbers and  subtract it from 100.  That will give you at least the year.  13xxxx would be 87.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A few things:
1)  Holy crap, the internals were full of gunk. It looks like the previous owner cleaned the bore but not the action and I think I know why:   Because of that front takedown pin that holds the trigger assembly to the receiver, this thing is harder to reassemble than my Ruger Mark II.  
2)  A little work with some cold blue (about 4-5 passes on a spot on the barrel) and overall the finish is very good now.
3)  Yes, it has the original buffer, which is in good shape, but I'm going to order a new one and a extra power recoil spring from Midway.  The front sight hood is missing, but that's only a few bucks from Midway as well.
4)  Is the extractor supposed to be triangle shaped where it engages the cartridge rim?  It doesn't get a grip on an aluminum snap cap and won't extract it from the chamber. A brass cased dummy extracts just fine though.

Email sent.

ETA:  BTW, the factory magazine it came with is a 10 round mag so I assume it's a ban era rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A few things:

Quoted:

Email sent.

Quoted:

Yes the 94 - 04 ban. That stock went for a premium, same as any 20 or 30 rd AR mag, did. Now those $100 Colt marked 20 rd  mags are $15 if that.

Still $100 is that much less you will have paid for the gun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The take down is not so difficult at all. But, read up on exactly how to do it. There is a possibility that you can get the feed ramp in incorrectly and crimp a spring.
Link from manual:    Owners manual...take down instructions included

After a little practice you will find the rifle is pretty straight forward to break down and reassemble.

If it has the original buffer it will be a white or yellow one. (Yellowed from age). Even if it looks perfect...DON'T trust it!  They will look fine and then just disintegrate without warning.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've owned a couple of them, one in 9mm and one in .45. Eventually sold them both, but I've got other shoulder-fired guns in those calibers.

I bought the 9mm to give me something that had more range for shooting jackrabbits than a typical .22LR. Accuracy wasn't as good as a .22, but that could be because I was pushing plated bullets over 1500 fps. With jacketed ammo, it can do much better. The .45 was always a good shooter.

Trigger is heavy and squishy. Can't do much with it. But overall, they make a fun, handy shooter.

I had a few Mecgar 20-rd mags for a S&W pistol. They always ran well.

Here's the .45, which looks identical to the 9mm, other than the magazine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/100_0248.jpg
View Quote

Nice Reising!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice Reising!
View Quote

Yeah - that was probably a part of the reason I sold the Camp-45.  Why go with 7 or 10 rounds, when you could carry 30 onboard, and dump them all in just over a second?  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah - that was probably a part of the reason I sold the Camp-45.  Why go with 7 or 10 rounds, when you could carry 30 onboard, and dump them all in just over a second?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice Reising!

The Reising is, despite its repetition, a great SMG. Just very Generation 1+.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked my Camp 9, but I got rid of it in 2005-6 when I started building ARs. I didn't care for how it was put together. It was fun, but definitely not a "battle ready" type rifle. Built more like a Remington 740. It wasn't worth much when I got rid of it. I kind of miss the dang thing now that I have a wife and a little kid.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Post 1975 Marlin rifles had the year of manufacture incorporated in the serial number.  Take the first two numbers and  subtract it from 100.  That will give you at least the year.  13xxxx would be 87.
View Quote

So, I'm a bit conflicted on this one.  The rifle has an 08 prefix, which according to the formula would make it a '92, but it came with a 10 round factory magazine, which indicates a ban-era rifle.

Perhaps the magazine is not original?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So, I'm a bit conflicted on this one.  The rifle has an 08 prefix, which according to the formula would make it a '92, but it came with a 10 round factory magazine, which indicates a ban-era rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Camp uses S & W 59 series pistol magazines...one of the most popular pistols of it time. The factory Marlin mags came in various sizes from smaller up to 12 or 13 rounds. The original magazines are pretty pricey when you can find one. Its most likely someone just plugged in 10 rounder sometime over the years. These rifles are definitely pre-ban but "high capacity" magazines were not yet in vogue when these rifles were first built.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty sure I let a Marlin marked 20 round magazine go with mine...
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pretty sure I let a Marlin marked 20 round magazine go with mine...
View Quote

Correct, they commonly came with either 4, 12 or 20 rounds. I forgot about the bigger one as I only have the 12's with mine. I have 20 round mags but they are MecGar's. The factory 20 round mags are rare as they stopped shipping with those in like 1989, ten years before the rifle left production.. The 4 rounders were to make the carbine legal in some states for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Installed:
New Buffer
16.5# recoil spring
New sight hood
Weaver optic rail
A Bushnell RDS that I had laying around

We'll see how it shoots next week...

ETA:  Yes, reading the manual made reassembly a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive had 2 of the 45's.  Had one integral suppressed, then sold it.  Kept the one that was pretty much factory perfect.  Neat guns, but there are way better options for shooters.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The Camp 9 took advantage of the era of the "Wonder Nines".   1985-99.   The 94 Fed AWB put an end of the factory 12 and 20 round mags.  After which the 10rd magazine was standard.  The 4rd was always confusing as maybe hunting or no hi-caps in the woods.  I've forgotten.  S&W 6904/6 12rd, 5904/6 14-15rd and 20rd were the norm and plentiful back then.  Marlin never made a 15rd 9mm mag.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, it's accurate with the right ammunition, but I discovered one problem:  If I insert an empty magazine and pull the bolt back, it locks open as expected.  However it will NOT lock open on the last round when actually shooting.  I tried several different loads including a +P with the same result.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Wtf does fo fent mean? I keep seeing it pop up and even my advanced googlefu can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wtf does fo fent mean? I keep seeing it pop up and even my advanced googlefu can't figure it out.
View Quote

Reference "foing" in ARFCOM 101

Some stuff just seems to take a life of its own.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, it's accurate with the right ammunition, but I discovered one problem:  If I insert an empty magazine and pull the bolt back, it locks open as expected.  However it will NOT lock open on the last round when actually shooting.  I tried several different loads including a +P with the same result.

Any ideas?
View Quote

Lots of ideas, but no certain answers. Start with the basics. There is a lifter piece that catches the follower in the magazine when it comes up to the top. There is a bit of a cut out on one side of the magazine and the follower has a little flat spot that will catch this pushing it upwards to catch the bolt and hold it back. Sometimes you can have either a little wear on one of the parts, or there is a little variation in the magazine follower, or something is just dirty and sticking, and the bolt will not lock back. I would take a close look at all the parts, make sure its all clean. Also, while many different magazines will function in the rifle, some clearly function better than others. I recall I ordered some new 59 series followers from MidWay and put them in some of my magazines and improved their operation. The followers were cheap. Also I had that lifter arm wear on my one rifle. Its not made particularly robust and can get loose. I was able to buy a new one a couple of years back and replace it. Most all of the magazines I use now lock the bolt back just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I took a close look at the bolt stop and it was rounded off at the top.  I plan to order a new one but ground it down flat again for now. However, the notch in the bolt looks a bit worn too.

ETA:  Magazines are fine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Great buy.  I'd whip out a CC for that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:09:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Grinding the bolt stop worked and the it locks open normally now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top