Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2015 3:41:21 PM EDT
So as much as I want a scorpion the wife and funds don't allow for it.  So still in search of a 9mm carbine I could use for HD or as a truck gun I came across the hi point carbine 995ts.  I have heard horror stories about  hi-point pistols but the carbine seems to get great reviews and it's a price I can afford.  

Can Anyone offer some feedback on this gun?  Anything to look for when buying a used one? Are they reliable to use as an HD gun?

Eta  realized my phone autocorrected hi to high lok
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot one.

It was accurate.

It was ugly.

That is all.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Hipoint guns shot and function fine. Their warranty is unbeatable by any company I have ever dealt with in my 36 years of life. I have a first gen 995 it has seen so much ammo and yet to fail. I broke my stock on my 995 and I called them to see what a new stock would cost they ask for my serial# and ask for address and then a week later at no cost to me I had a new stock so great warranty and accurate and reliable. The only thing I'll state up front is this only use factory mags in them aftermarket high cap mags need lots of tweeking to get them to work. So that means 10 round mags are the only reliable option you can count on. My CCW instructor use to use hipoint pistols in competions he had trophies where he beat many with very expensive guns. He only switched to springfield XDs once he got them as a sponsor. So pistol or carbine hipoints will get it done if you train and do your part. Ignore the haters let your targets after range sessions do the talking. Results speak louder than words any day
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 995ts for a few years, no problems. Would probably still have it but came across a good deal on a used Beretta Storm and after that the Hi Point didn't get out as much. Storm was definitely more accurate but used it cost almost three times what the new 995 did.

I think these would be more popular if mag capacity was better, the only hi cap mag is Promag and they're terrible.

There's a good Hi Point owner's forum out there, you'll see a lot of positive feedback on them.

The stock feels flimsy but I've not heard of any breakage issues. I've heard they're pretty reliable with cast slugs as well so they're reloading friendly too.  

Last local gun show I was at had Hi Points in all three calibers with the .45 going for $295, that's dirt cheap for a carbine, new or used.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Save up for the Scorpion. You can buy a Hi Point now and probably be disappointed or stuck with a turd for the next however long, or you can save your money and buy what you really want.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother has one and it works.  

Is the Beretta Storm carbine in the budget?

33 round factory magazines and the price is between the Hi-Point and Scorpion.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Had one for a few years; ugly as hell, always worked, dirt cheap, and accurate enough. If I was on an extreme budget (or knew someone who was) and they needed a backup long gun for dirt cheap, I would lean them towards one of these over a 12ga or a break action rifle, which are basically your other options in this price range.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a stretch to call anything 9mm/.40/.45 a "long gun."
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a stretch to call anything 9mm/.40/.45 a "long gun."
View Quote

Well it sure isn't a pistol!
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
A write-up from Ambulance Driver Files:
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I happen to love all things PCC. A 995 was my first PCC back in the 1990's when they first came out. I put a lot of trouble free rounds though that little rife. I grew to love 9mm carbines as they are so much fun, and cheap for a reloader like myself to feed. I sold my 995 and upgraded to a Beretta Storm, 9mm AR's, a JRC, a TNW ASR, a Marlin Camp 9, etc. But I missed the old 995 so one day I bought another upgraded "TS" model when it was on sale for $238 or something. It was just for old time sake as they say. A High Point was the carbine that introduced me to the fun of a PCC. It was simple, unassuming and worked 100% of the time.

I don't shoot my 995TS as much as some of the others I have but it has a special place in my collection. It shows what a bit of smart design and careful engineering can do with low priced materials. If you are looking for a fancy high dollar masterpiece of a firearm this is not the one. But, if you just want something that works day in and day out and you don't want to spend a lot of money then the 995TS is worth a serious look. Besides that you don't have to baby this thing. I could buy three of them for what my Beretta Storm cost. Yes, the Storm is a vastly better built and more attractive carbine, but in the end they both go bang and hit the target every time.

As for magazines, yes they are 10 rounds. This thing was designed in the middle of Clinton's idiot AWB.  There is a ProMag 15 rounder available. The early examples had some serious issues  but after about four redesigns and upgrades the latest model seems fine. I have two of the newest series ProMags and they have never failed to work perfectly.

I would not hesitate to buy another 995TS carbine. As for the haters....let them hate.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I happen to love all things PCC. A 995 was my first PCC back in the 1990's when they first came out. I put a lot of trouble free rounds though that little rife. I grew to love 9mm carbines as they are so much fun, and cheap for a reloader like myself to feed. I sold my 995 and upgraded to a Beretta Storm, 9mm AR's, a JRC, a TNW ASR, a Marlin Camp 9, etc. But I missed the old 995 so one day I bought another upgraded "TS" model when it was on sale for $238 or something. It was just for old time sake as they say. A High Point was the carbine that introduced me to the fun of a PCC. It was simple, unassuming and worked 100% of the time.

I don't shoot my 995TS as much as some of the others I have but it has a special place in my collection. It shows what a bit of smart design and careful engineering can do with low priced materials. If you are looking for a fancy high dollar masterpiece of a firearm this is not the one. But, if you just want something that works day in and day out and you don't want to spend a lot of money then the 995TS is worth a serious look. Besides that you don't have to baby this thing. I could buy three of them for what my Beretta Storm cost. Yes, the Storm is a vastly better built and more attractive carbine, but in the end they both go bang and hit the target every time.

As for magazines, yes they are 10 rounds. This thing was designed in the middle of Clinton's idiot AWB.  There is a ProMag 15 rounder available. The early examples had some serious issues  but after about four redesigns and upgrades the latest model seems fine. I have two of the newest series ProMags and they have never failed to work perfectly.

I would not hesitate to buy another 995TS carbine. As for the haters....let them hate.
View Quote

Very well put I agree 100%, and I didn't know promag had a 4th design on those mags glad they got it sorted out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had one for well over a decade, got it as payment for a $100 loan.
I almost refused it since I already had a Ruger PC9 and a KelTec SUB2000, but I'm glad I didn't.
It has proven to be just as reliable and accurate as my beloved Ruger.
Only problem was with the aforementioned Promags.

Good to hear Promag got things sorted out, the only thing I didn't like about it is the 10rd mags.

And the butt ugliness of it...
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the feedback.  Part of me wants to get one just to have something now.  I have high quality 2 ARs,  shotgun and hand Guns but I always want something else.  

I might hold out for something better  never thought of the beretta  so now I'm looking at those.  A sub 2k has always been on my list also just hard to find
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay, here's my question. My wife has a Ruger Mk II she's comfortable with shooting.She can also dry-fire my J frame S&W. How does the grip compare to these?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay, here's my question. My wife has a Ruger Mk II she's comfortable with shooting.She can also dry-fire my J frame S&W. How does the grip compare to these?
View Quote

Unfortunately neither compare to the hipoint grip the ruger mk 2 is like a 1911. Its something you have to go to a shop and shoulder to understand. I don't know of anything it could be compared to in the grip. It shoulders fine. I have the old untactical model. Its ugly, but it is comfy to shot and shoulder
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an original 995. It was a gift from my father way back when they came out. Never had a problem with it. I have put the new TS stock on it. I also added a rail to the top with new sights, and threw some green paint to it looks so much better.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an original 995. It was a gift from my father way back when they came out. Never had a problem with it. I have put the new TS stock on it. I also added a rail to the top with new sights, and threw some green paint to it looks so much better. I will see if I have any pics I can add.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#18]
How much did it cost you for the TS stock?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
If you upgrade your old stock to the TS be sure to get the bolts that run thru the receiver as well, the old 995 just had threaded bolts with caps that screwed on the other side, the TS stocks have pivoting clips and the bolts that pass thru the receiver have a groove where the threads used to be for the clips. At least that's how my 995ts worked.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the TS stock for $49.99 and I also got the two extra rails for the sides. They were $10.99.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:04:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So as much as I want a scorpion the wife and funds don't allow for it.  So still in search of a 9mm carbine I could use for HD or as a truck gun I came across the hi point carbine 995ts.  I have heard horror stories about  hi-point pistols but the carbine seems to get great reviews and it's a price I can afford.  

Can Anyone offer some feedback on this gun?  Anything to look for when buying a used one? Are they reliable to use as an HD gun?

Eta  realized my phone autocorrected hi to high lok
View Quote

I got one for my MIL, who lives in the boonies. The Hi Point carbine is cheaply built, ugly, and will leave someone who has owned quality guns kind of shaking their head, BUT it is accurate, reliable, and a ton of fun to shoot. I think they have got to be one of the best bargains on the gun market and for your use would be an excellent choice. The only downside I can think of is that the factory magazine only holds 10 rds. I put a light and tape switch on my MIL's carbine. She had never been a gun person but she immediately liked shooting it.

Bottom line: It's GTG
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#23]
If you get one used, and have an issue contact hipoint customer support regardless second hand or new. They'll take care of it great company sad there are not more like them. More money doesn't mean its better in all aspects usually just more refined. I bought a Kimber custom II 1911 brand new thought I got the best there was for full size 1911 at that time it would shoot full auto or bursts. I sent it back to them 6 times and it still doubled after playing that game for a year. I bought a sear myself installed it and new recoil spring solved my problem Kimber didn't. I spent near 1000 bucks for it. Great gun now but not when it was new. My Hipoint has never had a issue I didn't cause like breaking my stock lol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a question how ambidextrous friendly are these?  As a lefty will I be comfortable shooting and operating the controls.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I shoot lefty as well. I have had no problems.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I ended up with the 45 version.  My father in law just bought the 40 Cal version.   I still want the  9mm
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#27]
At their price points especially used you could have all 3 for around what the scorpion costs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At their price points especially used you could have all 3 for around what the scorpion costs.
View Quote

Yeah if hi point would do something about the mags this gun would be perfect.  I did buy two 14 round ProMags which have been flawless so maybe ProMag fixed their issues

Still I would love a scorpion and a cz 75 together
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone threaded one of these and suppressed it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never seen one, my understanding is that blowbacks don't make for good suppression. Also a lot of money to invest in a 'budget' rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
As for suppressing the highpoint carbine you are going into having possible issues if it doesn't work out of the box. As most blowback guns need springs or different buffer options to adjust. You will have a very hard time finding either to make it work if it needs it. very little option on aftermarket parts like this for the carbine. I could be wrong though maybe you could be the test monkey on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top