Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2015 2:51:50 PM EDT
And shot the piss out of them.  

I brought two MP5 type guns, and he brought the SiG MPX.  

We ran them through all sorts of drills out to 27 yards on head sized targets.  

As an MP5 guy I was skeptical of the MPX but it's really nice.  

My conclusions:

1 - In terms of practical target engagement, one can't accomplish something the other cannot.   Each gun proved very accurate and easy to shoot.  

2 - The MP5 is smoother shooting with a recoil impulse that is longer.  The MPX's is shorter but with more shock to it.  

3 - The MPX suppresses well.   It wasn't as quiet as the MP5SD, but pretty nice.  

4 - The BHO I admit was nice to have, but I don't think it's a game changer.  

5 - Reloads are faster with the MPX, but not by as much as you would think.

6 - It was nice how easily he had a light, and an optic mounted to it.

7 - It disassembles very much like an AR.  It is easier to clean than an MP5, and substantially easier than the MP5SD.  

8 - The MP5 points and swings a little better for me.   Maybe just familiarity.  

I will most likely wind up with one, but not anytime soon.  The achilles heel of the MPX is that there no magazines and no stocks available.   Something like a year after the gun was shipped.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear about your range trip. I have been toying with the idea of getting an MPX or MKE Mp5k clone. One is more modern, but it is not a proven design like the mp5. I have a CZ Evo and waiting for my form1 (100days) to come back before I make any decisions.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
MCX in title MPX in post.

of course you are going to like the one in your safe better.

I ditched my MP5 after I got my MPX but I think I still like my Lonewolf 9mm AR better than them both.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Still waiting on stamp on my MPX.  It's content to stay locked up until then.

Still want a roller-type SBR; not sure whether a 9mm or 7.62x39 is what I really want.  I'd say "get both", but the finance committee would likely have a fit (plus I have a couple more projects to finish first).
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixed the title, thanks.

The mags are excellent, even if more scarce and twice the cost than genuine HK mags for the MP5.  They are going for a hundred bucks apiece on gunbroker.  

I know it's not a proven system with anywhere near the resume of the MP5, but damn, it's an overbuilt little bastard that looks like it will take a whole lot of punishment and laugh at it.   I had the impression this gun could not be destroyed on semi auto.  

Even if you shot it out, changing the barrel is a laughable four bolts.  

I found it interesting that the gas port is pretty far back. By the chamber, not up front like on an AR.  

The trigger was stock, but it was ...  not bad.   My MP5 trigs are all reworked by Bill Springfield and are superb.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fixed the title, thanks.

The mags are excellent, even if more scarce and twice the cost than genuine HK mags for the MP5.  They are going for a hundred bucks apiece on gunbroker.  

I know it's not a proven system with anywhere near the resume of the MP5, but damn, it's an overbuilt little bastard that looks like it will take a whole lot of punishment and laugh at it.   I had the impression this gun could not be destroyed on semi auto.  

Even if you shot it out, changing the barrel is a laughable four bolts.  

I found it interesting that the gas port is pretty far back. By the chamber, not up front like on an AR.  

The trigger was stock, but it was ...  not bad.   My MP5 trigs are all reworked by Bill Springfield and are superb.
View Quote

The mag issue should hopefully be worked out soon. I took advantage of the mag packs direct from Sig, so they were still cheaper than MP5 mags. I have AT94s(MP5 clones) and the MPX and would concur with your observations about the recoil, not to say that there is very much with either gun. The safety selector has always been the thing I've disliked with the MP5. Being able to use the AR selector(and grip) of choice is a big plus.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was the MPX guy

Fargo has some sweet Mp-5's. I liked both of them but LOVED the SD. He's also got the neatest steel I've seen. Head shaped steel plates!

It was a fun day. We went thru a lot of 9mm! No issues with either platform, not a single one and we ran them hard.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a local supplier had a BF deal on the MPX for $1k and picked one up. Thankfully after some serious google-fu, I was able to locate a few mags as well. Looking to file SBR paperwork before the year's end.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Seeing some good deals on mpx's for BF. I want one but really want the mke mp5k. Is the mke that much better?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seeing some good deals on mpx's for BF. I want one but really want the mke mp5k. Is the mke that much better?
View Quote

My MKE SBR PDW had a canted front sight and reliability issues.

Sold it for a CZ Scorpion and never looked back. It's more reliable and more accurate, but has a little more recoil and long term durability is still unknown.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got the flatface K model MKE and SBR'ed it with a choate adjustable LOP stock.  

It's fantastic and has shot ~600 rounds since coming out of the box so far and never cleaned yet other than a day 1 wipedown (they ship em REALLY greasy).  Not one single issue.   Even that 100% of those are handloads churned out on my 1050.  124's and 147's.  

The K as an SBR is a really credible PDW/CQB choice anywhere inside 50Y.  It points amazingly fast, and the hits just come naturally.  

I've always been a fullsize MP5 guy (that's what I trained with and used) but damn, the K gun is really f'ing handy in just about any circumstance absent distance.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an early import MKE K PDW with the B&T folding stock, and it has proven to be 100% reliable once I replaced the ejector spring with the HK factory spring. I also have an MPX SBR with folding stock. Shooting both side by side, I would give the trigger to the K. It is much smoother than the MPX.  I would give accuracy to the MPX since it has much better sights. I paid about the same for each gun, but I put much less into the MPX to get it where it needed to be.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a POF MP5 with the A2 stock; I love the fullsize stock with this rifle. I bought the MPX to be a modern MP5 "K". I have a forward grip on it now and a collapsible stock on the way. Its easier to upgrade and run optics than an MP5. That being said my MP5 has a surefire forend and that's it; I like the look of the stock MP5 with that one add-on. The MPX however will be getting a Trijicon RMR, a Geissele SSA, and a Magpul MIAD/ foregrip.

The MP5 is ridiculously accurate and I am hoping the MPX will be as well once I can properly shoulder it and not use a "Sling/Push-Out" method of firing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top