Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:34:10 AM EDT
It's a wiselite but I still like it. New off gunbroker auction. Not a drop of oil in it. Came with two new mags still in the plastic. I picked up a extra firing pin and a couple of extra mags from apex. I am going to SBR it. Just need to decide if I should just cut and thread the barrel so I can use my Bowers suppressor or replace the barrel and endcap and make it original.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
I have one of the Type II versions. It has turned out to be one of the most popular guns I have. Everybody loves shooting it.
You'll love it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Could a kit be made to run on an AR lower?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just had Adco cut mine and leave a 1/2" stub out for 1/2x28 threads and stick a thread protector cap on that. I thought about trying to use the "genuine" Sterling endcap etc. but getting my Gemtech multimount adapted to that would have been difficult.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/11402749_10204538053200025_3306725765952995905_n_zps3e0szcnw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/11402749_10204538053200025_3306725765952995905_n_zps3e0szcnw.jpg</a>

IMA-USA has original 50's vintage Sterling slings. http://www.ima-usa.com/original-british-sterling-submachine-gun-khaki-web-sling-dated.html

I was able to mount a chunk of Midwest Industries rail made for their Gen2 SS series AR free-float tube fore-ends to the barrel shroud holes using some soft aluminum washers that crushed/bent to the profile as I torqued them down.  Not totally  happy with the optic, but that's more because POI shifts so much with 158gr 9mm vs. 115's.
View Quote

Right, getting that to mount would have been difficult.  If I go for the original look I will not put a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Could a kit be made to run on an AR lower?
View Quote

I wouldn't think so.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Form 1 is back.  My barrel is out for cut/thread and engraving right now.  

This turned out to be a lot more fun gun than I figured.  The trigger is VERY nice and the gun runs like a crackhouse on fire.  

It's going to be fun with the suppressor on it.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got my form 1 back for my CZ Evo.  This stamp collecting is addictive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few PCCs (colt ar 9mm, Sterling, UZI) and the sterling is one of my favorite rifles. The mags are easy to load, its pretty accurate, looks bad azz, and its easy to clean. My sterling is the fully shrouded barrel. If I can get one with the half covered barrel it would be great to SBR. Enjoy your sterling
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a few PCCs (colt ar 9mm, Sterling, UZI) and the sterling is one of my favorite rifles. The mags are easy to load, its pretty accurate, looks bad azz, and its easy to clean. My sterling is the fully shrouded barrel. If I can get one with the half covered barrel it would be great to SBR. Enjoy your sterling
View Quote

I agree they are cool - The horizontal mag adds the element of being both different and distinctly British, while the Used by Storm Troopers element adds bad-ass modern cool image that will almost never go out of style.  
Evidently the Sterling was well tested by the British and was found to be extremely reliable in severe weather and dirty conditions - but when subguns either went SBR or MP-5 (a sub-gun accurate to use like a fast carbine) they died off quickly.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one too.  Picked up an extra stainless steel firing pin.  Seems that is their only weakness.  Mine is the full vented barrel.  I pull it out and all the kids (and adults) want to shoot it.  Best gun in the safe for a family outing at the range.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an original British made semi auto and SBR'd it.  Used a wiselite barrel to preserve the original since they are impossible to replace.   Needed a lot of work before it would run 147 gr rounds worth a flip for use with a can.

I thought about going with original end cap, but it was a lot of effort and expense to end up with an SBR that couldn't run a can.   So I said screw that.   Right decision.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My two surplus mag were functional but not nice to look at.  Now they are.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet! Been trying to trade an early RAAC SIAGA for the full-shrouded Sterling for some time now, no luck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]

I still need to SBR mine. Its a really mild shooter and has a lot of appeal! Congrats on joining the Sterling club OP!
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like you refinished your mags as well.  Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The Wiselite's are fantastic little carbines.  I've had mine since they first came out and I just LOVE it!!!  I bought it for my little boy who is a Star Wars fan and he calls it the "blaster"; it's his favorite rifle.  Mine has NEVER had any hint of a malfunction ever and it's very accurate all the way out to 200 yards.  You're going to love that little carbine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
My short barrel came in yesterday from IMA.  Looks good.  Free shipping plus 5% off.  It's at a friends house for safe keeping.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My short barrel came in yesterday from IMA.  Looks good.  Free shipping plus 5% off.  It's at a friends house for safe keeping.
View Quote

The IMA barrels are military configuration barrels that are inserted from the rear of a receiver tube.  You might have to do some mods to get it to work in a Wiselite gun.
The IMA/Mil barrels are a barrel mounted (welded) into a front and rear trunnion - copied from the Lanchaster, which copied it from the German MP28.  It looks like a mini dumbell weight.  The assmbly is inserted throught the rear of the receiver and bolted on from the front of a true SMG tube front.  

Being the miltary barrel trunniuns are close to the ID of a military tube, you may have to mod it to get past the Wiselight denial bars that keep full auto bolts (similar diater as the mil trunniuns) out of it.

You will have to remove the wiselite trunnions as well and put on the normal muzzle that also has that cool bayonet lug for a No 5 British Enfield Jungle Carbine Bayonet!

Keep us posted on how it goes -  Sounds like a great project these are cool guns and even better SBRd1
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a guy who has done lots of these SBR conversions with a accurate endcap.  But you are right about the changes that have to be made.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
how much did you pick it up for? I've been trying to find one but I can't even figure out what the going rate on one is
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
how much did you pick it up for? I've been trying to find one but I can't even figure out what the going rate on one is
View Quote

$780 off gunbroker.  Hard to find but If you watch they do show up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#23]
wow I sold my wiselite for $400.  cost me $1400 for an original British made sterling.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Both have gone way up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

J.C's Guns and Tackle in Huntsville Al has one with 2 mags
if your still interested pm me and i can give you the number, they don't have a web sight  but they will ship

its the short shroud model
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
wow I sold my wiselite for $400.  cost me $1400 for an original British made sterling.
View Quote

I paid dearly for my Dagenham-made Sterling as well, back when Klinton was the Prez, a Cassi import gun with a 2 digit S/N.

I once had it for sale on the EE here, but stopped bumping it eons ago as everyone was buying $400.00 Wiselights.

I don't have the chops to search for it here in the EE as the ad is so old, but it may still be around as every now and then someone finds the old ad and e-mails me to see if it is for sale. Not any more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I picked up one of these a few years back when they were cheap, and finally got around to SBRing it earlier this year. Nothing fancy - just chopped the barrel ahead of the nut using a hacksaw, cleaned it up with a hand file. Looks good, shoots very accurately. Lots of fun to shoot. HOWEVER, it has never run with 100% reliability, whether with the 16" barrel or the chopped barrel. It suffers from occasional feeding and ejection problems (maybe 2% malfunction rate). I have problems with multiple magazines, including the one that came with the gun, even when graphite lubed, so I don't think it is the mags.

I am running my regular USPSA minor PF 9mm 124gr RN FMJ reloads at around 1050fps. I tried increasing the velocity right up to the maximum recommended powder charge, but problems persist. Some of the feeding problems may just be weak brass - the bullets that misfeed sometimes display setback. Does anyone have a pet load that they find runs 100% in their Wiselite?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Your loads should work fine.  Have you tried new ammo?  I have a PPS43 that gives me problems unless I use new brass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I picked up one of these a few years back when they were cheap, and finally got around to SBRing it earlier this year. Nothing fancy - just chopped the barrel ahead of the nut using a hacksaw, cleaned it up with a hand file. Looks good, shoots very accurately. Lots of fun to shoot. HOWEVER, it has never run with 100% reliability, whether with the 16" barrel or the chopped barrel. It suffers from occasional feeding and ejection problems (maybe 2% malfunction rate). I have problems with multiple magazines, including the one that came with the gun, even when graphite lubed, so I don't think it is the mags.

I am running my regular USPSA minor PF 9mm 124gr RN FMJ reloads at around 1050fps. I tried increasing the velocity right up to the maximum recommended powder charge, but problems persist. Some of the feeding problems may just be weak brass - the bullets that misfeed sometimes display setback. Does anyone have a pet load that they find runs 100% in their Wiselite?
View Quote

I also had occasional crushed in projectile jam.  I would suggest to get some dummy 9mm cartridges and manually run them through slowly see if your feeding into the chamber.  Mine was just barely on the edge to feed and I polished the chamber and "ramp" area
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
The only issue I experienced with feeding was when first fielding my Wiselite. I quickly learned that the mag lips on these mags must run almost parallel. The couple of mags that cam with mine both looked used and of course, they did a huge load of re-parkerized mags, so every Sterling by Wiselite comes with one original finish and one re-parkerized.

I have some pictures of what to check and but I do not think I have upload privileges? It is pretty straight forward though. Both mag lips need to be equal distant from each other, not tapered inward or spreading outward. Once I bent the lips, both the mags have given me 100% performance.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's my sawn-off Sterling

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use my 115gr RN reloads, basic plinking ammo and my sterling runs great. Very rarely I get a feeding issue when someone does rapid fire. Last weekend we put 6 mags thru the sterling and no issues.

Here is a pic of my sterling, the safe queen, and pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top