Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 11:06:34 PM EDT
Is there any other option for attaching a suppressor to this host besides the can made for it?

Shroud removal/counter bore threading/adapter?

Gunsmith familiar with this work?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, the 3 lug attachment is proprietary.  If you haven't purchased a TP9 yet, your best bet is to track down and  purchase one of the first generation DS Arms imports that had a threaded barrel guide.  

A word of warning regarding suppressing the platform.  There was a gentleman over on Silencer Talk that damaged his barrel after fabricating an adapter for the first generation barrel guide for a suppressor he already had.  Because of the unique action of the platform, excess back  pressure turns the rotating barrel into a piston and hammers it against the retaining pin.  That is why the B+T/Rotex suppressor has such a huge volume. It's hard to swallow the cost of a suppressor that costs as much as the weapon!  

IIRC, Thompson Machine produced suppressors for the TP9.  I'm in Illinois, so my experience with suppressors is very, very limited.  From what I have read and been told, there is a notable amount of gas that gets redirected to the shooter.  

I would recommend heading over to Silencer Talk for better information.  I'm trying to track down the armorer's manual for another member here (sorry I haven't found it bud!) and can send you a copy if you'd like when I find it.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for taking the time to write all that info down.

Yeah I've had to come to grips that anything but the factory suppressor is a pipe dream.

That being said I would buy the suppressor of it was available stateside.

You wouldn't hapoent to know where one could be bought at do you?

I have 2 of these now and a can would be worth it to me even if it's dedicated.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
FADALdude covered pretty much the entirety of it.

I have a DSA Gen 1 TP9 that I SBR'ed and I've been thinking of getting the Thompson Machine XD-SMG can for it, mostly because they also sell an adapter that would work with my Uzi so the can could pull double duty. The main reason I'm holding back is that B&T changed the attachment from threaded bell to tri lug bell for a reason. I have heard a lot of stories of the threaded can getting seized to the threaded bell and it taking several king's horses and men to get loose. Plus the AR style charging handle just screams "gas in your face" to me... so I spent my 9mm suppression efforts elsewhere.

I bought my TP9 directly from DSA back when they first came over and I was talking someone at DSA about getting one of the Rotex suppressors for it. I was going to buy the tri lug bell housing and swap out my threaded one. At the time DSA listed them for sale and gave a price, but nothing ever came of it. They never got back to my requests to order one. I was left with the impression they never actually got any of them made domestically and the only ones they could get stateside were restricted LEO / MIL only. I have looked and looked and have never seen one for private sale... it doesn't mean they aren't out there, it just means they are hens teeth oiled with a thin veneer of unicorn tears.

The teep is a nice platform for what it is, but its rube goldbergian guts and proprietary muzzle make it kind of a permanent loud child in my stable. For the size and form factor a HK PDW / K clone is worlds easier to suppress from a finding parts and actually doing it aspect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top