Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2015 8:54:47 AM EDT
Who's got one and how is it?
I believe this is the one that runs Beretta 92 mags.
Any other stock options?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag, sounds like a fun rifle
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...I was interested when I first heard about them but the reviews were very iffy and I have yet to see/handle one in the flesh.
View Quote

This for me as well. I like 9mm carbines and I like M1 carbines, but the reviews put out by early buyers of this gun were pretty disappointing.

Never understood why it seems difficult for mfr's to make reliable, quality 9mm (.40, .45acp, etc) semiauto carbines. You take a .22LR gun and size it up somewhat to match whatever magazine you're using. You then can sell it for three or four times the price of the .22LR gun that was the basis for the whole thing; yet it still seems more often done poorly than done well...
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  This for me as well. I like 9mm carbines and I like M1 carbines, but the reviews put out by early buyers of this gun were pretty disappointing.

Never understood why it seems difficult for mfr's to make reliable, quality 9mm (.40, .45acp, etc) semiauto carbines. You take a .22LR gun and size it up somewhat to match whatever magazine you're using. You then can sell it for three or four times the price of the .22LR gun that was the basis for the whole thing; yet it still seems more often done poorly than done well...
View Quote

http://hi-pointfirearms.com/Hi-Point-carbines/45Caliber_carbine.html
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  This for me as well. I like 9mm carbines and I like M1 carbines, but the reviews put out by early buyers of this gun were pretty disappointing.

It doesn't take my 92 mags. I have a lot of those mags.
15 to 30 rounders.

If it's a well built debugged unit I maybe in for one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  It doesn't take my 92 mags. I have a lot of those mags.
15 to 30 rounders.

If it's a well built debugged unit I maybe in for one.
View Quote

Well, if only you had PX4 mags, you could do the Beretta carbine in .40".  

So your answer is the Kel Tec SUB 2000 in .40" S&W, Beretta mag well.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 CX4's
A 9mm that runs 92 & PX4 mags.

Also a .45 that runs Cougar 8045 & PX4 mags.

I love my Storms.

May get one more of each caliber I run and set them up as a KISS rig and maaaaaybe SBR after I move. Maybe.

I will get a Keltek in 92 9mm. Just want the right price on a gen 2.

Up here they are hard to find and harder at reasonable money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I looked at those briefly, but based on typical (round-count) lifespan reports and my own experience with their predecessor, I passed. I have one of the previous-branded handguns (Haskell or Stallard, don't recall which) in .45acp that I bought for $75  twenty years ago or so, and it's basically an oversized Jennings .25acp in design, and below the Jennings in build quality.

Weird thing about the HiPoints is that I think they can actually be a decent gun for someone who doesn't shoot a lot recreationally, but wants a defensive carbine in their pistol's caliber. They seem to be reliable, they just have a short life expectancy in terms of rounds fired.

From their own site: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Lifespan-of-a-Hi-Point.html
...typical failures of carbines around the 4,000 round mark and the occasional extreme wear seen as early as the 400-round mark when using rather stiff ammo. Since 2011, Hi-Point has included longer rail inserts in the striker channel of its carbines to strengthen these little wonders up to live past the 4-6,000 round mark. This firing pin channel has been documented to break at around that point previously.

It may be considered blasphemy by a lot of guys, but I believe it's true that a hipoint that's been fired enough to confirm reliability could be a serviceable defensive gun. Not my favorite, but it could be made to work. I just like to shoot mine a bunch, and that low round-count life-expectancy (4-6000 rounds..?) takes it out of consideration for me personally. If it shared magazines with something I already owned, I still might actually consider one, but having to buy proprietary mags for a gun with that short of a life expectancy is another strike against it imo.

Again, not meaning to sound snobbish about it at all. I think they could served a lot of folks well; if it's someone who doesn't shoot a ton. But while I don't mind replacing springs, buffers, etc, every 4000-6000 rounds, but replacing the gun at those intervals is just too often for me personally.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  I looked at those briefly, but based on typical (round-count) lifespan reports and my own experience with their predecessor, I passed. I have one of the previous-branded handguns (Haskell or Stallard, don't recall which) in .45acp that I bought for $75  twenty years ago or so, and it's basically an oversized Jennings .25acp in design, and below the Jennings in build quality.

Weird thing about the HiPoints is that I think they can actually be a decent gun for someone who doesn't shoot a lot recreationally, but wants a defensive carbine in their pistol's caliber. They seem to be reliable, they just have a short life expectancy in terms of rounds fired.

From their own site: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Lifespan-of-a-Hi-Point.html...

It may be considered blasphemy by a lot of guys, but I believe it's true that a hipoint that's been fired enough to confirm reliability could be a serviceable defensive gun. Not my favorite, but it could be made to work. I just like to shoot mine a bunch, and that low round-count life-expectancy (4-6000 rounds..?) takes it out of consideration for me personally. If it shared magazines with something I already owned, I still might actually consider one, but having to buy proprietary mags for a gun with that short of a life expectancy is another strike against it imo.

Again, not meaning to sound snobbish about it at all. I think they could served a lot of folks well; if it's someone who doesn't shoot a ton. But while I don't mind replacing springs, buffers, etc, every 4000-6000 rounds, but replacing the gun at those intervals is just too often for me personally.
View Quote

There is a lifetime warranty for folks that are concerned about that.  Think what's doing them in - and why they're so inexpensive - is the zinc slide/bolt.  Sadly, the .45" replacement mag catch to take 1911 mags is no longer produced.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who's got one and how is it?
I believe this is the one that runs Beretta 92 mags.
Any other stock options?
View Quote

I am a big fan of 9mm carbines...I want to own them all!!    Look at this M-1 look-a-like when it first came out. I had wanted one badly but standing in the ship with this thing in my hands I put it back in its box and walked away.

This is not a well made rifle at all. Has "The Look" but that is as far as it goes. I was so disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 2 CX4's
A 9mm that runs 92 & PX4 mags.

Also a .45 that runs Cougar 8045 & PX4 mags.

I love my Storms.

May get one more of each caliber I run and set them up as a KISS rig and maaaaaybe SBR after I move. Maybe.

I will get a Keltek in 92 9mm. Just want the right price on a gen 2.

Up here they are hard to find and harder at reasonable money.
View Quote

I have two sub 2000's, a gen1 5906 magazine  and a gen2 glock magazine.
I dont know for 100% that this is true for the non glock gen 2, but with the gen1 non glock you can swap out the magazine catch.
A glock magazine sub 2000 is always a glock magazine sub 2000 with either generation.
A 5906/92/226  gen1 was the same rifle but with a different magazine catch so the magazine catch could be swapped out to accept either of the two magazines, I have an extra Beretta 92 magazine catch for mine.
Just a thought for you since I seem to see more 5906 gen2's for sale than the 92
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top