Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2015 10:08:21 PM EDT
OK, someone just make this, ok?

I want a takedown 9mm carbine that takes either Glock mags, or MP5 mags in the tradition of the Marlin Papoose with a 16 inch barrel.  
The Glock mags are more practical, but for "looks" I like the Mp5 Babnaba clip

I want it under 4 lbs unloaded too, and it should not need a tool to attach the barrel please-oh and no button safety-give it a tang safety please.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it is perfect.  The 9mm is the "rich man's" .22 long rifle...

The "much maligned" 9mm is still cheap, kicks very little, is a physically light round, matches carry pistols, and out of a long tube in +P or +P+ with a bonded bullet or solid can take "medium game" pretty seriously with good placement.  

Smack at 100 yards is roughly 9mm pistol at muzzle.  

Go nuts and add a .40, a 10 mm, or a 30 carbine (that takes the venerable mags) and the results will be even better-but for now, make me the 9mm please.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I could get on board with this!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
You want Marlin to make a take-down Camp 9 that accepts Glock mags.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]
TNW makes something along those lines
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Just Right Carbine makes a take down AR style 9mm, 40, and 45acp.  I have a 9mm (non take down) and its a lot of fun.  exceeds you weight request coming in at about 6.5#.  Comes in Glock mag or M&P mag models.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Wouldn't be hard to make, just expensive in terms of design and production hours.

I'd figure about $1500 worth of my time and tooling to make one, plus about $400 in materials, so $2k for a one off oversized papoose.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thing is I don't want a traditional "black rifle" look.

And, Marlin has the knowledge and/or the ability to tool it easily.

And for you to make it for $2K?  Not interested.  It should be cheaper than the cheapest AR's and M1 carbines.  
The Papoose is less than $300 so this would have to be $400 with one mag-and I am sorry, a blowback .22 and a blowpack 9mm taking standard pistol mags ain't rocket 'scientry.
So the barrel screws on and off?  'Meh-nothing new there either-I ain't asking for Accuracy International sniper stuff here...  

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And for you to make it for $2K?  Not interested.  It should be cheaper than the cheapest AR's and M1 carbines.  
The Papoose is less than $300 so this would have to be $400 with one mag-and I am sorry, a blowback .22 and a blowpack 9mm taking standard pistol mags ain't rocket 'scientry.
So the barrel screws on and off?  'Meh-nothing new there either-I ain't asking for Accuracy International sniper stuff here...  

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii498/fastfreddie4/Marlin%20Camp%209/MarlinCamp9ad.jpg
View Quote

eh, it's doubtful any large company would decide to invest in a derivative of something that didn't sell that well to begin with.  Pretty much leaves you with a custom "one of" made by a competent smith.  If you think you can do it cheaper go for it, but no decent gunsmith is going to work for free. you are probably looking at a 6-8 hour project, including testing for a good gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Paging Mr. LaRue?

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
A takedown in 10mm would be the cats ass!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
TNW makes something along those lines
View Quote

The TNW ASR is currently probably the closest thing to what you are looking for. The JRC has a "take down" model but its heavy. (I own them both).

The KelTec Sub2K folds and is light but I like my ASR better. (had examples of both)

While having not owned every 9mm PCC out there I have owned about ten and find my favorites to be:

1) Beretta Storm for overall size, function and accuracy.  (Doesn't come apart but is pretty compact with the magazine in the grip)

2) ASR for fun factor and size/weight (unscrew the barrel without tools)

3) JRC for accuracy and dependability  (Heavy but shoots well)

4) Marlin 9 Camp Rifle for "traditional" look and feel

OH, and don't forget that both mainstream Marlin and Ruger made non-take down PCC's and both dropped them due to low sales volume. While some, like myself, enjoy PCC's the market is just not big enough to support them in any numbers for a main stream manufacture to spend capital on.

I have owned about a dozen 9mm carbines, including 9mm AR's,  but these come to mind as the ones that get shot the most.  I like 9mm carbines. Cheap to shoot, easy to reload for and way more "bang" than a .22 LR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A takedown in 10mm would be the cats ass!
View Quote

I like the way you think! I've always thought the 10mm would really shine in a carbine. With optimum barrel length somewhere around 10"-12".
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Seems like those Marlins have a cult following - Out of all the useless guns that get put into the marketplace, I wonder why Marlin/Remington whatever they are don't produce an updated version of this.  Seems like a updated version of the camp carbine that takes Glock mags would have a good market versus just lever guns and 22s.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems like those Marlins have a cult following - Out of all the useless guns that get put into the marketplace, I wonder why Marlin/Remington whatever they are don't produce an updated version of this.  Seems like a updated version of the camp carbine that takes Glock mags would have a good market versus just lever guns and 22s.
View Quote

Definitely. If I could pick up another Camp9 or two at a reasonable price, I'd absolutely do so. Wouldn't matter to me if they used the same 5900 mags as the originals, the new M&P mags, glock mags (probably the best choice) - I'd love to have a couple more. They're just ridiculously fun, and surprisingly capable at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually the Chiappa M1 clone in 9mm is probably the closest current production rifle to what the OP wants even tho it takes 92 style mags but based on what I've read so far sounds like sub par quality.

I like the idea of using an MP5 type mag. At least from an aesthetics & functional perspective. But if I was marketing a pistol carbine I'd rather it be one that takes Glock mags, they're cheap, plentiful, and in 9mm come in 13s, 15s, 17s, and 33s.

A carbine in the style of a Camp 9 with a G26 mag would be pretty easy to carry & store.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually, a Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30 that is chambered in either 10mm, 45 Winchester Magnum, or even 9mm Winchester Magnum would probably do well.  You could fit a magazine to fit to the stock, then have some standard capacity mags in 10, 20, or even 30 to fit as well.  Now that Ruger is making better barrels this might be a good time for them to be encouraged to make a gun that would come close to Cooper's "Thumper" idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Your weight requirement would be tough for a semi auto as most are blow back.  A locking action would add $$$ to the cost.

I think a take down lever action in 9mm could make the weight class.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my PCC's also, and I like
what the OP has described above,
but I bought this in .40, and I will
buy one in 9mm, when I find one.

John

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii498/fastfreddie4/Marlin%20Camp%209/MarlinCamp9ad.jpg
View Quote

So you want something priced at a price point that a company would have to sell thousands of and then people would still complain because it's blowback and not quiet enough/doesn't suppress as good as the MPX/etc . . . ?  Did I get that right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not sure if your "traditional black rifle" comment was directed at the sub2k or not. If not why not go that route/
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Turnbull case hardened AR !%  and wood furniture AR in 9mm with DOLOS takedown?
I think I may have another Idea but I am keeping it for now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#24]
It has to be cheaper than the cheapest AR or M1 Carbine?

In other words, it'll have to come in under $500.

You had my interest, but you lost it there.  You want a niche gun for mass-market value... not gonna happen unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Paging Mr. LaRue?

View Quote

He said he wanted it UNDER $2000
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#26]
UZI with a wood stock fits a couple of your criteria...  What you've come up with is an interesting idea but if I'm honest I'd never buy one, even for the sub-$500 price point. It just sounds like a semi auto SMG that is supposed to look slightly less like a modern SMG than a normal SMG.  You want the function (semi auto 9mm), capacity, compactness, and light weight that more than a few types bring to the table, just with more wood and less "assault rifely."  To each their own, but I can certainly see why that is a hard sell to most manufacturers.

I certainly don't see Porsche in a hurry to make a car that drives like a 911 but looks like a Prius, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Marlin has not been around. Not in some time. Marlin is a brand. They are not a company. Remington Arms, acting on behalf of Freedom Group, purchased Marlin in 2007 and shut the plant down in 2008. Since then all Marlins have been made in KY and NY, and word is they may be shutting down or already have shut down the KY facility. Kinda funny how your Marlin ad has a "Vintage" watermark to it.

Put quite simply there is no one in Remington that has knowledge of that firearm. None of the previous tooling exists. If it is not a 700 in .308 with a faulty trigger they are probably not interesting in building it.

Now, Ruger has the knowledge and capability to build something like that. Essentially a scaled up 10/22 takedown. That is the tree you should be barking up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top