Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2015 1:42:21 PM EDT
I have a chance to purchase one. Looks like a larger version of the Ruger 10/22 except in S&W 40 cal. It uses P85 magazines.
Were these made just for the police?
How do they run or are they jamamatics?
Are they accurate?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. LE was the target market but they were also sold on the civilian market, they never really sold well and were eventually discontinued. They are very well made guns, very reliable although the triggers on them are pretty bad. There were three different models with different rear sights: notch, open peep, and protected peep. Accuracy is on par with most other pistol caliber carbines, but it's hampered a bit by the bad trigger.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what it looks like. Must be a scarce, hard to find gun. I couldn't find one anywhere on gunbroker.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what it looks like. Must be a scarce, hard to find gun. I couldn't find one anywhere on gunbroker.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Ruger_PC4.jpg/1920px-Ruger_PC4.jpg
View Quote

There's a few on gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+pc4

"PC4" is the actual model name
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh... okay. Thanks Mak0!
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a good gun. There are no spare parts for it so if something breaks you will need a new part to be manufactured. The trigger is tough and most people with these guns, as well as some gunsmiths, advise against taking the gun apart to do some trigger work. I didn't listen to that advise and tore mine down to every individual part. I polished some parts, cut a spring or two and did a little filing and sanding. When I put it all back together I broke a small pin. After calling Ruger and checking dozens of sites I had to have the pin made. Now that the gun is all back together I have successfully reduced the trigger pull and have not affected its reliability. I would caution against doing what I did, I got lucky and didn't totally screw the thing up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a PC4 and 2 of my Uncles have the PC9's.

It is a fun to shoot, reliable, accurate carbine.  The .40 takes p944/p94 .40s&w magazines that are a little hard to find and pricey, the .9mm takes the p85,p89,p95,p94 magazines that are more common and have extended capacity aftermarket mags available.

It does have a heavy trigger, but a clean break and like you said, it is like a heavier 10-22 so most of the controls are the same, charging handle, sights, safety are in the same location but the mag release and bolt release are not.

It is a bit of a pain to break down for cleaning, but for a plinking/varmint gun it can go a long time without but if it is a home defense gun or something that you might risk your life on then you would want to clean it more often.

It takes Ruger style scope rings but there are adapters out there that hook up a standard rail to the ruger mount location.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one in 9mm. It's one of the guns I wish I'd never gotten rid of. That thing felt like I was shooting .22.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone pretty much covered it. They're built like a tank and very handy. Trigger's as heavy as a tank but not insurmountable. I have a bunch of pcc's and this one ranks up there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a chance to purchase one. Looks like a larger version of the Ruger 10/22 except in S&W 40 cal. It uses P85 magazines.
View Quote

IIRC, you might need to fiddle with the feed lips a bit to make them reliable.

I've had the 9mm version for well over 15yrs and I absolutely love it.
Only problems I've had were due to crappy aftermarket mags (during the AWB).
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The biggest problem with the Ruger carbines was that they used Ruger pistol magazines.  The Ruger pistols were never nearly as popular as even the steel or aluminum framed S&W pistols, much less the Sigs, Berettas, or Glocks.  I don't know if they intended the carbines to make their pistols more popular or not but it wasn't enough.  If they had been made to use Sig 226, Beretta 92/96, or Glock 17/22 magazines you know they would have made and sold alot more of them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The biggest problem with the Ruger carbines was that they used Ruger pistol magazines.  The Ruger pistols were never nearly as popular as even the steel or aluminum framed S&W pistols, much less the Sigs, Berettas, or Glocks.  I don't know if they intended the carbines to make their pistols more popular or not but it wasn't enough.  If they had been made to use Sig 226, Beretta 92/96, or Glock 17/22 magazines you know they would have made and sold alot more of them.
View Quote

Their marketing strategy was to sell them with the corresponding pistols to LE agencies. As we all know, hardly any LE agencies issue Ruger pistols so that probably didn't work out too well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I know I want one!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I own the 9mm version, the PC9.

As has been said they are built like a tank, however Ruger no longer supports them at all so if it breaks good luck finding spare parts
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
thread resurrection time! I picked up a PC9 a couple weeks ago, everything's good except it's missing the endcap for the pistol grip. Can I use any pistol grip for that, like for a M77 or a 10/22?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thread resurrection time! I picked up a PC9 a couple weeks ago, everything's good except it's missing the endcap for the pistol grip. Can I use any pistol grip for that, like for a M77 or a 10/22?
View Quote

The bottom of the grip is supposed to be open, they did not come with any kind of plug.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quite a few years back I bought a PC9 brand new. As soon as I got home about the second time I cycled the bolt to chamber check something fell out of the bolt and locked everything up .

Took it back to the shop and Ruger messed about with it for nearly 4 weeks before I got it back

Nice solid gun , a bit heavy but little recoil even though the bolt is pretty heavy . My example shot like crap because the trigger was about 14lbs
Sent it back to Ruger again and they claimed it was fine .

Traded it for a early Glock 19
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The bottom of the grip is supposed to be open, they did not come with any kind of plug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I was wondering about that, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought one new.  It's a beast.  They're a good deal heavier than they look like they should be.  It cycles everything I feed it: chomp, chomp, chomp.  I put a cheap ass red dot on it and picked up two additional .40 mags when I bought it for a total of 3.  Like typical Ruger, it appears to be over-engineered for strength and when broken down for cleaning it looks like it's more complicated than it needs to be.  Shortly after I bought it I picked up a brass catcher that works fine for about two mags before the empties start bouncing back into the action and fucking stuff up.  Looks like it's made out of thick Kydex.  

If you can find it for a price you can afford and are going in with your eyes open regarding the procurement of replacement parts, I say go for it without fear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top