Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2015 11:21:02 PM EDT
I picked up 4 30rd mags yesterday from my local shop, and was fiddling with them in the car on the way home. I noticed that one of the four had a very stiff follower and it felt very scratchy when depressing it manually.

I took it apart and the spring was oriented differently than the other three. The springs don't curve, they're straight, but the tip of the spring was flipped and backward when compared to the others.

Worked fine when corrected.

Just something to note, check your mags.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Can someone post pics?  I've taken mine apart already and was not paying attention to the orientation
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The uppermost 'peak' of the spring should be oriented at the back of the follower, if that makes sense.

Not to complicate things, but one of my 4 mags functions fine regardless of the spring being flipped either direction. The others bind up and feel more stiff. Maybe someone else can weigh in
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I checked my lonely 3 mags today.  

Now I did disassemble the mags when I first received them, so I prob assembled them incorrectly.  But all three of mine were install "wrong".   I snapped a pic of what GTHKTX is explaining.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now I did disassemble the mags when I first received them, so I prob assembled them incorrectly.  But all three of mine were install "wrong".   I snapped a pic of what GTHKTX is explaining.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/kwando90/Forum%20stuff/EF91F1FC-AC55-42C9-99DC-428969412D76_zps5ocfalqa.jpg
View Quote

For clarity, your picture shows the correct orientation right?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/kwando90/Forum%20stuff/EF91F1FC-AC55-42C9-99DC-428969412D76_zps5ocfalqa.jpg

Based on my experience, that pic shows the correct spring orientation.

One of my mags was oriented the other way and bound up when the spring was compressed.

Like I said previously though, I tried flipping the spring the 'wrong' way in another mag and it worked just fine.

I'm unsure of exactly what this means, but in my very limited sample size of 4 mags, the pictured orientation is the one that worked properly every time
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.  I just checked the 2-20 round mags that came with My Scorpion.  Mags are 2015, and both of them had the springs backwards (If indeed the picture is the correct way?)  I just got My scorpion and have yet to shoot it so I can't comment on how it functioned.  I did flip the springs to match the orientation in the picture.  Maybe it's all in My head but the followers do seem to depress smoother than before just using finger pressure because I have not loaded them as of yet.  I wonder if someone can get some "Official" clarification from CZ as to the correct positioning?  Most magazines from other guns I've encountered have the angled up (High Part) of the spring toward the front of the mag not the back which is opposite to the way the OP says they should go.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, just checked CZ's diagram of the magazine.  it shows the mag spring angling up toward the front of the magazine NOT the back as the picture in this thread shows.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to hear CZ's input here - all I know is I had more than one mag that bound up and was very difficult to depress the follower until the springs were flipped. Now they are all smooth. But I'm certainly open to an 'official' answer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, the OP is correct.  I looked at a diagram of the CZ scorpion and it shows the mag springs upward tilt going toward the FRONT of the magazine just as it came from the factory.  I took My CZ Scorpion out on its maiden voyage today.  I sat in My car and started loading up My 2 20 round mags  with 115gr WWB ammo.  I got to 18 rds loaded and no more would go in, WTH?  I took My other mag and  started loading it and it made it to 19 rounds before no more would load.  I then unloaded both mags and took one of the mags apart.  I turned the mag spring so that the upward tilt was facing the rear of the mag (As in the picture the OP Placed) and started loading, all 20 rounds went in!!.  I repeated the procedure with the other mag and again all 20 loaded just fine. Inside I went to try Her out.  I fired a total of 60 rds of WWB 115gr and 40 rounds of Federal aluminum case 115gr.  All rounds fed, fired, and ejected without issue.  As a side note, the federal stuff felt much weaker than the WWB.  So yes, it appears CZ is putting the mag springs backwards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, CZ stands by that the mag springs are installed correctly.  I switched My springs back to how they came and attempted to load.  Again, after 18 rounds I met more resistance than the 1st 18.  I then pushed harder than I thought I should need to, round 19 then went in and so did round 20 (in both mags).  The spring seems to bind  a bit as you load the last 2 rounds.  In removing the bullets from the fully loaded mag I did not notice anything unusual.   Also when I get to the last two rounds, when I give the mag a good slap on the palm of my hand, it seems to free things up and make those last two easier to load.  All this having been said, reversing the mag spring DOES make loading those last two rounds easier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#11]
With the magazine spring tension being a pretty clear contributor to the cracked feed lip issue, I'd be reluctant to fill my mags to the max anyway.

I leave 20's loaded to 18, 30's loaded to 28.

I also clipped the bottom 4 coils from the 20 rd mag springs as CZUSA suggested, and had no feeding issues.

Your mileage may vary.

**Id avoid aluminum cases ammo in straight blowback SMGs. Known to cause KBs
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

**Id avoid aluminum cases ammo in straight blowback SMGs. Known to cause KBs
View Quote
I fired about 100 rounds of AL Federal Champion and there were no issues. :\

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I fired 40 rounds of the aluminum case federal.  No issues however, they felt MUCH weaker than the WWB ammo I also had on hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top