Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 11:05:09 PM EDT
OK ....I live in a rural area so I have handled zero PCC's ..But  multiple injuries to both shoulders and age have me to where I just about cannot handle my FAL's, AR's and Mini's without using a rest ..my 30M1 Carbine I can still swing good and some days the Mini's

So converting some of the "Big Gun" $$ into lighter PCC's seems reasonable

I need input from folks who have at least handled and preferably shot and maintained PCC's as to weight/balance both overall and forward/butt heavy etc.

I would like 6-8" bbl, 9mm, and really do not want to get into SBR or silencer  so I would also like input on how effective pushing against a sling would be in helping steady and hold up the PCC if fired as a pistol with no stock [also understand the arm brace "option" but appears my be only solution if strap;sling will not work]

Strictly from a LOOKS  stand point I like :
POF/MXE MP5
POF/MXE MP5K
Sig MPX
CZ evo

prefer side bolt handle and really do not want a tru grip mag well like the uzi
under $1800

Also open to ideas not on the list

Thanks
Bear

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're shoulders are giving out. Perhaps trying to hold (repeatedly) a Pistol configured PCC might not be the best idea. With you not wanting to SBR anything here's Option B.
Buy a Carbine length 9mm carbine. Cut the bbl down to 10.5" thread bbl, and blind pin a 5.5" AR flash hider on, Once you enlarge the exit hole in the f/hider of course.You have a lightweight carbine with stock for weight distribution instead of trying to hold a heavier pistol out there.

Plan C is a QC10 Lower with pistol upper and sig brace, as you hinted at. Which is probably a good investment for your needs.

My spouse has issues with shouldering carbines. The JRC i got her is the go to gun in carbine size. Part of it is less recoil than her SBR AR.
IMO the other part is her having a carbine that uses her G26 mags.  She'll really like it once i shorten the bbl and go with a 5.5 f/hider.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
All of those firearms listed are really designed to be used with a stock. Without one, it's going to be awkward to shoot. The dead weight out in front of you will put strain on your shoulder. A sling can help stabilize things for aiming but it's not going to help with support unless you're shooting from the hip. I would just go with an EVO and sbr it. It will be perfect for you and I'm sure you'll be MUCH happier.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input so far fellows

You confirm my suspicions that pushing against the sling/strap will not augment the shoulders enough for comfortable shooting

I think the ideal of sawing a carbine to 10.5' and adding an AR flash hider might work

Now I need to find some one who has such a mod set up on a CZ  EVO and a SIG MPX to get overall weights and measures

PLUS I am still open to ideas so keep'em coming!

Thanks
Bear
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The KelTec Carbine is very lightweight and has little recoil.   It is really just a pistol with a long barrel and stock.

You could also build a lightweight AR in 9mm.

If you can handle the M1 carbine just use that.  Nothing wrong with a proper hollow point or soft point in the 30 Carbine.

If you want large cap mags, you might want to look at the MAC 10/11 type pistols.  

A Glock 34 or 17L might be good, too.

An 1896 Mauser in 9mm has the forward magazine.

There is a Polish PPS-43 pistol might work for you.

The TNW Aero looks good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, take a look at the Beretta CX-4 Storm. They are very short and light even with the 16" barrel. The bolt telescopes over the rear of the barrel (similar to how an Uzi is designed) so they are much shorter than a more conventional carbine. If you get one in 9mm that is setup to take Beretta 92 / M9 magazines, mags are readily available and not expensive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
As goofy and expensive as it is the Kriss Vector has a mechanical bolt that reduces felt recoil.

The next thing that comes to mind is one of the Gas operated 9mm AR-15's or a FN PS90.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#7]
im right hand, right eye dominant, 23 years old and my right shoulder will be fuckedup until the day i die.

i shoot an mp5 clone with the a3 stock and i can put more ammo than i want to pay for thru it in one setting without any MORE pain.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
9mm Tavor? Linky

I have the 556 version, I imagine the recoil would be pretty non-existent in the 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The shoulder issues I have dwell more with no strength as in nothing left to attach tendons to as well as limited range of motion ..the pain factor from recoil is third item down on the list of problems to solve with this PCC project

I am old school as far as looks goes ( humped an M14 in SE Asia more miles than i care to recall )  ...I freely admit that light with the weight close to the shoulder is my best bet ...yet i cannot for the life of me warm up to the bullpup style weapons good as they may be ..

I am still looking (with a reasonably open mind I hope) ... so please keep the ideas coming

I may have to give into the SBR route (MP5K stocked clone) but i really really hate to" show up on the radar" with something requiring a tax stamp ..not to mention the problems an SBR leaves for family upon my demise ...plus the engraving etc etc

SO STILL searching

Bear
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The shoulder issues I have dwell more with no strength as in nothing left to attach tendons to as well as limited range of motion ..the pain factor from recoil is third item down on the list of problems to solve with this PCC project

I am old school as far as looks goes ( humped an M14 in SE Asia more miles than i care to recall )  ...I freely admit that light with the weight close to the shoulder is my best bet ...yet i cannot for the life of me warm up to the bullpup style weapons good as they may be ..

I am still looking (with a reasonably open mind I hope) ... so please keep the ideas coming

I may have to give into the SBR route (MP5K stocked clone) but i really really hate to" show up on the radar" with something requiring a tax stamp ..not to mention the problems an SBR leaves for family upon my demise ...plus the engraving etc etc

SO STILL searching

Bear
View Quote

Aha,

Well in weight alone the Keltec Sub 2000, weighs 4lbs (so a full pound lighter than your M1 carbine) and well within your budget, throw a T1 on it and you'll be criusin
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a ps90 no recoil whatsoever and you can get a five seven pistol to match also no recoil
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SO STILL searching

Bear
View Quote

Sorry but that is one of the poorest excuses ever. You own a gun purchased at  llgs, have a hunter safety card, CCW permit, post on gun forums.. YOU ARE ON SOMEONE'S RADAR.
Regarding your demise. There's no cost to transfer a NFA item to next of kin via a Form 5 / estate transfer. OR do a trust and list anyone that's gun friendly on it. Problems solved.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry but that is one of the poorest excuses ever. You own a gun purchased at  llgs, have a hunter safety card, CCW permit, post on gun forums.. YOU ARE ON SOMEONE'S RADAR.
Regarding your demise. There's no cost to transfer a NFA item to next of kin via a Form 5 / estate transfer. OR do a trust and list anyone that's gun friendly on it. Problems solved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SO STILL searching

Bear

WOW ...why drive in a wooden stake when you can slide in a Kabar ...Right???!!!!! .....Just kidding ...it is lame ...they know me from my GI security clearances from a prior life as well as federal print registration from civilian law enforcement ...also from a prior life ..just had enough government i guess

I guess I start studying the SBR process ..surlely form are on line!

Thanks for complicating my day :) !

Bear
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WOW ...why drive in a wooden stake when you can slide in a Kabar ...Right???!!!!! .....Just kidding ...it is lame ...they know me from my GI security clearances from a prior life as well as federal print registration from civilian law enforcement ...also from a prior life ..just had enough government i guess

Bear
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SO STILL searching

Bear

Bear

If you were closer i'd use a pry bar   Sometimes a "gentle" push gets one motivated.

People over complicate the NFA issue. Many years ago when CO was not a state wide CCW i applied to my county CLEO, over thinking the process. 30 days later the spouse and I had our Permits.
Same for 1st NFA item. It was painless, outside of paying what would be the first of many $200 tax stamps.
Here's the SBR forum with FAQ's on top.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/51_Short_Barrel_Rifles__SBR_.html
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd try them out in a gun shop. A lot of PCC's are just as heavy as a normal rifle and the charging handles can be more difficult to pull being they're blowback firearms mostly.

If weight is the issue I'd do a .223 pencil barrel lightweight build. I've seen those down around 5 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the Beretta 9mm carbine.  The fact it is so light and can be maneuvered effortlessly would seem to be just the answer to your concerns.  I've had mine for some time and found it to be reliable and accurate.  Thirty-round magazines are available, too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
M&M
Nice pics with great ideas ...I think though after I analyze my shoulder mobility [poor range of motion] that my slow mental departure from AR type actions comes from the reach over the top [with weapon to shoulder] to clear it for example

did not really realize I was unconsciously thinking that way until I realized I had all but eliminated the sig mpx entry and realized why the sig mpx and now the ar platform have lost their appeal to me ..the bolt handle location

so I am leaning to those platforms whose bolt controls are side mounted

But I do thank you for you contribution and i am sure your effort will enlighten others

Bear
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M&M
Nice pics with great ideas ...I think though after I analyze my shoulder mobility [poor range of motion] that my slow mental departure from AR type actions comes from the reach over the top [with weapon to shoulder] to clear it for example

did not really realize I was unconsciously thinking that way until I realized I had all but eliminated the sig mpx entry and realized why the sig mpx and now the ar platform have lost their appeal to me ..the bolt handle location

so I am leaning to those platforms whose bolt controls are side mounted

But I do thank you for you contribution and i am sure your effort will enlighten others

Bear
View Quote

JRC
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top