Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2015 5:42:35 PM EDT
I have two female southpaws in the family. Looking for a 9mm carbine that is:

1. full reversible (that is the ejection port side, safety, mag release and charging handle can be switched to accommodate left or right handed shooters (the boys in the family are all Right-handed).

2. Has a threaded muzzle, or is allowed to have it threaded legally.

The Berretta Storm fits the bill except for one thing. As I understand it, since it is imported, it cannot legally have a threaded muzzle.

Another fully ambi is the JRC, and it has the threaded muzzle, but reviews I have watched seem to indicate that it is not 100% reliable.

What others are there out there? Is there an MPX or CZ Scorpion Evo carbine out yet?

Reversible 9mm carbines

Beretta CX4 Storm  Threaded Muzzle: NO
JRC 9mm               Threaded Muzzle: YES
TAVOR 9mm          Threaded Muzzle: YES
AUG 9mm                Threaded Muzzle: YES

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I threaded my cx4 storm 1/2x28 what makes it illegal?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I threaded my cx4 storm 1/2x28 what makes it illegal?
View Quote

The CX4 is an imported weapon. Threading the barrel makes a CX4 an "assault weapon" by giving it a banned "feature". A such, it would be non-importable and therefore must comply with the provisions of 922r, the 1989 assault weapons import ban.

There is a thread on it here:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=96179&highlight=thread+storm+barrel

Here is a screenshot of the important part of the ATF letter:

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
So threaded it's now subject to 922 which really isn't a big deal as I have US parts to offset it I guess.  Stupid as the letter is pretty vague.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1. full reversible (that is the ejection port side, safety, mag release and charging handle can be switched to accommodate left or right handed shooters (the boys in the family are all Right-handed).

The Berretta Storm fits the bill except for one thing. As I understand it, since it is imported, it cannot legally have a threaded muzzle.

Another fully ambi is the JRC, and it has the threaded muzzle, but reviews I have watched seem to indicate that it is not 100% reliable.

What others are there out there? Is there an MPX or CZ Scorpion Evo carbine out yet?

Reversible 9mm carbines

View Quote

Owning 2 JRC's with one changed from 9 to 45 that's not an accurate statement.   The 9's run like tops and the spouse keeps (L/Hand) her 9 as the Home defense carbine.
For the price point considering they use glock and not gun specific / proprietary mags, it's a good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So threaded it's now subject to 922 which really isn't a big deal as I have US parts to offset it I guess.  Stupid as the letter is pretty vague.

View Quote

922r gives me a headache.  It's why I rarely buy imported stuff anymore. The thread goes into detail on how if you didn't actually own it when the change was made, you might not need to worry about it. But I don't really know.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Owning 2 JRC's with one changed from 9 to 45 that's not an accurate statement.   The 9's run like tops and the spouse keeps (L/Hand) her 9 as the Home defense carbine.
For the price point considering they use glock and not gun specific / proprietary mags, it's a good bang for the buck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reversible 9mm carbines

Ok that's good to know. I only watched a couple of youtube reviews and they didn't say what type of ammo they were using  or anything.
Plus they were pretty early reviews when the product first came out. How hard and what tools does it take to reverse the controls/ejection?

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok that's good to know. I only watched a couple of youtube reviews and they didn't say what type of ammo they were using  or anything.
Plus they were pretty early reviews when the product first came out. How hard and what tools does it take to reverse the controls/ejection?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reversible 9mm carbines

First check chamber to verify it's empty. Then it's a matter of removing the butt stock, pull BCG. Once you remove the BCG the extractor pin gets taken out then switch extractor to l/side of bolt.  You take the ejector plate off the l/side switch over to the right. Reinstall BCG , butt stock assy. Load mag chamber round, take safety off place finger on trigger (once target is confirmed) pull till mag empties.   That's all can remember off the top of my grey matter. here's a link to their web site.

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/Assembly___Disassembly.html

The only issue with shooting l/hand is the mag release stays the same. I put a ALG, QMS H/T/S in both carbines, Vortex strike fire on hers. Installed a 13.5" Keymod rail on mine with flip up sights and FF3.
Are they a perfect carbine, probably not. However they have all the items you're looking for w/out having to do any smith work, buy accessories to make it work as needed.  

Regarding reliability of any firearm. I like to handle / shoot said gun before i base a buy or pass, based on some youtube video.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First check chamber to verify it's empty. Then it's a matter of removing the butt stock, pull BCG. Once you remove the BCG the extractor pin gets taken out then switch extractor to l/side of bolt.  You take the ejector plate off the l/side switch over to the right. Reinstall BCG , butt stock assy. Load mag chamber round, take safety off place finger on trigger (once target is confirmed) pull till mag empties.   That's all can remember off the top of my grey matter. here's a link to their web site.

The only issue with shooting l/hand is the mag release stays the same. I put a ALG, QMS H/T/S in both carbines, Vortex strike fire on hers. Installed a 13.5" Keymod rail on mine with flip up sights and FF3.
Are the a perfect carbine, probably not. However they have all the items you're looking for w/out having to do any smith work, buy accessories to make it work as needed.  

Regarding reliability of any firearm. I like to handle / shoot said gun before i base a buy or pass, based on some youtube video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reversible 9mm carbines

Are the a perfect carbine, probably not. However they have all the items you're looking for w/out having to do any smith work, buy accessories to make it work as needed.  

Thanks for the info. It looks like that the latest generation addresses early model issues, and they are good to go now. They seem to have very good customer service.  I will probably pick on up especially with the caliber conversion kits available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top