Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2015 7:44:20 PM EDT
Well, I got an older model nickel plated 995 last week. It has the original style stock and I paid 150.00 for it. It had the box and all the stuff that comes with it.
I ran it so far with the following loads.

Winchester 147 grain JHP Ranger 9T (Train and Defend package)
Federal 115 JHP (9BP)
PMC 115 grain JHP (older rounds I had, but they had some bite to them)
Winchester 115 Silvertips
Blazer Aluminum 115 FMJ
Federal 115 Champion FMJ
Federal 124 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP
Winchester 147 FMJ.
Winchester 9MM NATO

All in all about 270 rounds. It shot to point of aim with the iron sights and it had not one single malfunction. IT is ugly as sh3t, but I was hitting a coke can at 40 yards with it.
I went walking around the ranch with the PMC JHP loaded up hoping to see some hogs, but no luck.
My wife shot it and liked it. In fact she liked the simplicity of it compared to an AR.  

I know people knock them as I did, but this thing is reliable and accurate. I see this being used a lot more out at the ranch than the AR's now.
My only gripe is the 10 round magazine, but if you are accurate enough, it will do fine for hunting small animals.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi points are like being see around town by your friends with a fat chick.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience was similar to yours.  I bought one from a friend for a crazy low price and didn't really expect much.  Instead, I found it to be perfectly reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot.  I sold it a few months later to another friend who wanted something for his wife.  I actually regret selling it and may buy another someday.  It may not be pretty, but it shoots well above its price point.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but when the lights go out that fat chick can rock your socks off......

Enjoy the High Point. I have some much more expensive 9mm  carbines but still own a Hi-Point just because.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Enjoy the High Point. I have some much more expensive 9mm  carbines but still own a Hi-Point just because.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I've got a 9mm carbine....I won $20 off my buddy with it.

Brand new out of the box, he bet me it wouldn't go 100 rounds without a hiccup.....I'm around 1000 rds without one still today...

Love the csrbine
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
+1, bought a 995TS brand new when they changed stocks years ago, although not as accurate as some of my other 9mm carbines it was as accurate as my RRA 9mm AR and just as reliable. And ran cast slug 9mm reloads with no issues. Would probably still have it but after buying a Beretta Storm carbine the Hi Point just stayed in the safe. But that Storm used cost me almost 3 times what the Hi Point was new.
Now that I'm reloading cast slug .45acp I'm looking for a 4595 to see how she runs on my reloads.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
ive had my 995 forever warranty is awesome never failed. The hipoint is like a moped it will get you there but you don't want to be seen riding it. But I like mopeds so screw it lol theyre awesome to bad no reliable hicap mags for them
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I found an original 995 for sale a couple years ago - cheap since it was missing parts.  It was an easy fix and now it comes to the range with me on a regular basis.  I hit the steel plate at 120 yards with the thing and have not had a single malfunction.  Yes it's ugly, but it works and is fun to shoot.  Congrats on your find.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an original 995 that I sent out of state after the "SAFE?" act was passed in NY.  Too bad.  I really miss it.  Fun to shoot and hits what you point at.  After the in laws pass we will be moving out of state and I look forward to the reunion.  Well over 10 years old and never missed a beat.  It reminds me of the plain girl in high school who just keeps looking better and better as she gracefully ages.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up an original 995 recently for $100.  I have not been able to shoot it yet, but I like how it handles.  The charging handle is a real negative, but I will be ordering an aftermarket upgrade.  Nothing like a sharp  bolt heard on a short handle that is difficult to lock open.  The only other negative is the 10 round mag capacity.  But, for $100 I couldn't pass it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top