Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 5:57:23 PM EDT
Greetings,

I have been researching the various hk mp5 clones and had almost talked myself into ordering one but then looked a little harder at the quarter circle 10 lowers. In the past, I felt the pistol caliber AR's look a bit goofy, but they seem to be growing on me. I've built a few AR 15's so building a 9mm for an sbr setup has some appeal vs paying for someone else work.

Now to the point, does anyone have experience with both? Which do you prefer? Which one shoots/ functions better?

The cost difference is not really important. I just want a nice 9mm sbr and possibly add a suppressor down the road.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Hk Mp5 clone all the way man Runs so smooth and reliable and quieter suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent a nice coin for Ron William to build be a gas operated 9mm upper and it out shoots my Cohaire MP5. Smoother shooting and more accurate.  Downside is, it is a reloaders gun. You need very clean 9mm to keep it running.

Dakota Arms I believe it is makes some very good HK clones, If I had the coin, I would have him build me one. I have never touched one, but have friends that say they rival actual HK's and in some cases are better.

This is just my opinion....

ETA: Dakota Tactical.... Dakota arms is a bolt action rifle.

ETA II: Pics

My Cohaire (Fake pinned suppressor)

My 9mm AR with DDLES Glock lower.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hk Mp5 clone all the way man Runs so smooth and reliable and quieter suppressed.
View Quote
Buy a kit from RTG Parts, it's an actual de milled MP5, have Jeff Miller "Ghillebear" build it for you. He's at Parabellum Tactical. His work is top notch.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buy a kit from RTG Parts, it's an actual de milled MP5, have Jeff Miller "Ghillebear" build it for you. He's at Parabellum Tactical. His work is top notch.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ghilliebear is another legend on another Gun forum.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the full size & K version MKE MP5s and a Colt 10.5" 9mm AR (had a 7" DOE upper for it for a while as well). I loved the MP5 ever since I first saw Die Hard and owning one is that much better.

MP5 Pros:
-A little milder recoil than the AR
-Suppression seems a bit quieter on the full size vs. 10.5" AR
-Factory HK mags are a little cheaper ($30-$50 each)

MP5 Cons:
-Parts/accessories are more expensive
-Gun is more expensive

AR-15 Pros:
-Manual of arms is same as 5.56 ARs
-Some commonality between parts (if you own other ARs)
-Compatibility with other AR accessories, stocks, grips

AR-15 Cons:

-Factory Colt magazines are expensive ($50-$75 last time I bought any, but Metalform & C-products are cheaper and work well)
-Recoil is more noticeable than the MP5
-Suppression is not as quiet as the MP5
-Direct blowback is harder on the lower receiver (make sure to get stainless steel pins and a ramped bolt)

In the end, if I could only have one, it would be the MP5, just because I like the look and feel of it. Where in Ohio are you? If you're around the Dayton area, you're welcome to join me at the range and try them for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Having both, I prefer the MP5.  More smoother action.  It just feels nicer with the roller system.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#7]
MP5 is a better platform all around. 9mm AR's are blowback and thus louder suppressed and more recoil  (more than a 5.56 ar which is dumb).
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an mp5 clone and a couple of 9mm AR builds...colt and glock lowers.  I've also shot my buddies mp5k clone.  IMHO, the 9mm AR offers so much more customizable features(stocks, rails, sights, red dot/reflex mounts, triggers, etc) compared with the HK clone.  To mitigate recoil, one could play with various buffers/springs...but the JP 9mm SCS makes the AR 9mm buttery smooth.  Also, using the same can and ammo...the mp5s and the 9mm AR, IMO, sound the same.

Also, checkout the sig mpx...shares the same FCG as ARs.  

Some 9mm AR builds:

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MP5 is a better platform all around. 9mm AR's are blowback and thus louder suppressed and more recoil  (more than a 5.56 ar which is dumb).
View Quote

Really? try 124 and or 147's for the 9mm. It sounds loud shooting as you're right on top of the buffer & spring. Let someone else shoot it and hear the difference.
Another post mentioned cost factor between the 2. That puts the AR platform ahead, you want cool, go H&K.   Regarding cost of mags for an AR, i have both a DDLES & JRC, uses the same Glock mag. The 33 round glock mags still come in under H&K price point.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for the replies. This is exactly what I was looking for. Seems the majority is leaning to the mp5.

Chemcmndr - I am in the Cleveland area. Bit of a haul to Dayton, but thanks for your kind offer.

Keep the pics and discussion coming! Love it!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both
the MP5 roller lock design is a lot smoother recoil than the 9mm AR's direct blowback
I use the same silencer on both, and I don't think there is much of a difference using the same ammo (147g)
the HK factory mags are a lot more expensive ($60-75 last time I bought), but the Korean ATI mags are cheaper (< $20)
the Colt style AR mags are pricey but I've had luck using the ProMag plastic mags

out of the two, the MP5 clone gets the edge just on the cool factor alone and I shoot it more often

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had both. I sold the 9mm upper.

It's not even a contest. Mp5 all the way
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had both and prefer my MPX.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
considered cz scorpion?

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
MP5 K would be my choice. Take a look at the CZ scorpion as well. Pretty cool gun with a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I did consider the scorpion. It has a uniqueness to it certainly, but after handling one at a local show I was reminded too much of the kel tec ksg. I fell for the hype on that one and paid about $1100 for one during the shortage. I hate it and now it's worth about $750 if I'm lucky. I'm not saying I'm right, but I feel like the scorpion will follow the same pricing trajectory for those who are willing to wait.

The sig mpx is interesting..... I'll have to find one of those to see how it looks in person.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I did consider the scorpion. It has a uniqueness to it certainly, but after handling one at a local show I was reminded too much of the kel tec ksg. I fell for the hype on that one and paid about $1100 for one during the shortage. I hate it and now it's worth about $750 if I'm lucky. I'm not saying I'm right, but I feel like the scorpion will follow the same pricing trajectory for those who are willing to wait.

The sig mpx is interesting..... I'll have to find one of those to see how it looks in person.
View Quote

The Skorpians are not selling for $500 above cost I just put one on layaway yesterday and it was $825. I own a POF Mp5 and it is SBR'd and it is awesome. There is just something about the MP5 that is bad ass. I have a bunch of the KCI MP5 mags that I got for $7 each and have yet to have one malfunction with them. I also want to pick up a 9mm ar15 down the road. I have not shot the MP5 suppressed yet since my cans are still in lock up.

Also the Brügger & Thomet APC9 and Tp9 just got approved for importation if your willing to wait and since money is not a roadblock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with chemcmndr's comments, but would add that using the JP 9mm Bolt and 9mm Silent Capture Spring make a big difference in felt recoil in the AR platform.

Although more expensive all the way around, I still prefer my MP5 clone though.

Quoted:

I have the full size & K version MKE MP5s and a Colt 10.5" 9mm AR (had a 7" DOE upper for it for a while as well). I loved the MP5 ever since I first saw Die Hard and owning one is that much better.

MP5 Pros:

MP5 Cons:

-Gun is more expensive

AR-15 Pros:

AR-15 Cons:

-Factory Colt magazines are expensive ($50-$75 last time I bought any, but Metalform & C-products are cheaper and work well)

-Direct blowback is harder on the lower receiver (make sure to get stainless steel pins and a ramped bolt)

In the end, if I could only have one, it would be the MP5, just because I like the look and feel of it. Where in Ohio are you? If you're around the Dayton area, you're welcome to join me at the range and try them for yourself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Greetings,

I have been researching the various hk mp5 clones and had almost talked myself into ordering one but then looked a little harder at the quarter circle 10 lowers. In the past, I felt the pistol caliber AR's look a bit goofy, but they seem to be growing on me. I've built a few AR 15's so building a 9mm for an sbr setup has some appeal vs paying for someone else work.

Now to the point, does anyone have experience with both? Which do you prefer? Which one shoots/ functions better?

The cost difference is not really important. I just want a nice 9mm sbr and possibly add a suppressor down the road.

Thanks for any input.
View Quote

The mpx is definitely the best looking 9mm ar and a fun gun, but between the two I would take a2 mp5 style
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

MP5 Pros:

MP5 Cons:
-Gun is more expensive

AR-15 Pros:

AR-15 Cons:

View Quote

I have owned a 5" 9mm AR with a Trident9 on it, and a full-size and -K MP5 with the same Trident9.  This post is spot on.  The only thing I would change is that, I felt, the AR had considerably more recoil, and was notably louder suppressed.  The MP5s also run/ran a lot better on a range of ammo.  I also love the diopter sights on the MP5s.  No need for optics.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#22]
COLT DOE

cool factor/different
small package when used with car fiberlite stock
historical colt design
shorter and lighter than the standard 635 model
same ergos as the ar15
US made and designed
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had both, not at the same time.   MP5 is definitely better although you can debate whether its worth the cost and effort to get a good running clone vs. an AR 9mm.

Unless you just had to have the real deal H&K as a collectible, I would just get a Skorpion or MPX.   yes the MP5 will be quieter with a can, but it can a PITA to get a good running clone.   I got off fairly easy on mine, however horror stories abound.

Tavor 9mm is also an option and you skip all the NFA headaches.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
COLT DOE

cool factor/different
small package when used with car fiberlite stock
historical colt design
shorter and lighter than the standard 635 model
same ergos as the ar15
US made and designed
View Quote

The Colt DOE was the first machine gun I ever shot. While it is an interesting design, my biggest problem was that the collapsed DOE was just as big as my MP5K extended. The trigger slap on the one I shot was horrendous. I owned a reproduction upper for a while, but ended up selling it I rarely shot it. I shoot my 10.5" 9mm upper more because I can suppress it, whereas I couldn't with the DOE. I will give the DOE its credit for the history, the.ergos, and the cool look to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top