Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazing photography on your Flickr page. As a PCC lover, you had me at EVO and kept me at the Uzi RMR pics.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazing photography on your Flickr page. As a PCC lover, you had me at EVO and kept me at the Uzi RMR pics.
View Quote

Haha thanks for the support. Got some new stuff coming this week. Stay tuned. My Instagram page is updated the most. http://instagram.com/sully.photo
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now you sound like me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll just make it easy on myself.  I will get both.  
Can't live forever.

Now you sound like me

Thanks for the review Dsully. I've been holding off on the Evo due to the parts situation, but I'm probably going to end up with both as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
^^^ well said. Also this whole debate is stupid since the CZ doesn't require two-handed mag drops, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Your pictures are ridiculously good. I wish I had your knack for product photography. My wife is a wedding photographer and extremely good at doing the story of people but her stills of my guns (and my own) need major work.

I don't know that your point about hitting the aimpoint mount when charging has any real concern because you can switch the mount handle to the other side or use a different mount like on the MPX

Not going to lie, I love my SBR'ed evo and will probably not get another SBRed pistol caliber carbine but that MPX doesn't look half bad.

Thanks for the review.

Also, I followed your Instagram, great stuff!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your pictures are ridiculously good. I wish I had your knack for product photography. My wife is a wedding photographer and extremely good at doing the story of people but her stills of my guns (and my own) need major work.

I don't know that your point about hitting the aimpoint mount when charging has any real concern because you can switch the mount handle to the other side or use a different mount like on the MPX

Not going to lie, I love my SBR'ed evo and will probably not get another SBRed pistol caliber carbine but that MPX doesn't look half bad.

Thanks for the review.

Also, I followed your Instagram, great stuff!
View Quote

I just said it was kind of annoying.  That's all.  using any mount that far forward will not allow me to hit the charging handle to make it go forward from locked back.  Again, really doesn't make a difference but something to consider.  I appreciate all the support I am getting with my photography.  Makes me want to continue to better myself
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just said it was kind of annoying.  That's all.  using any mount that far forward will not allow me to hit the charging handle to make it go forward from locked back.  
View Quote

So why not just, you know, move the optic back on the rail?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

This is my dream 9mm sub gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just said it was kind of annoying.  That's all.  using any mount that far forward will not allow me to hit the charging handle to make it go forward from locked back.  

I did move it back a bit.  I guess I could move it even more.  Just not used to it with a micro and if I wanted to use a magnifier, I need some room.  Like I said, that really isn't a make or break it for me as I do like both platforms.  Just wanted to point out that the charging handle is quite close to the rail and mounting anything around that area could possibly get in the way
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Try mounting aimpoint all the way back towards your eye. That's how the optics were designed to be used. It's a fairly new style to mount it away from you. Mounting it at your eye should clear the charging handle and you might get faster on multiple targets.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I think people started mounting the aimpoint away from them dates back to people seeing special forces doing that on their m14s'. But they had to on those guns. On guns like the m4, you should mount it at the eye. This was designed and tested back in the late 80s' early 90s' by the military.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think people started mounting the aimpoint away from them dates back to people seeing special forces doing that on their m14s'. But they had to on those guns. On guns like the m4, you should mount it at the eye. This was designed and tested back in the late 80s' early 90s' by the military.
View Quote

only reason to mount it forward is if you plan to use a magnifier.
I don't see myself needing a magnifier on a 9mm subgun
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought it was moved forward to minimize the outside of the optic from obscuring targets more. The closer an object is to your eye, the more of your visual area it will take up, no?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, but the farther the optic is from your eye, the harder it is to see through it and pick up the dot rapidly. I compromise by putting mine a bit closer but I don't run it all the way back.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
^^^ well said. Also this whole debate is stupid since the CZ doesn't require two-handed mag drops, IIRC.
View Quote

What??
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, but the farther the optic is from your eye, the harder it is to see through it and pick up the dot rapidly. I compromise by putting mine a bit closer but I don't run it all the way back.
View Quote

I was just making a note that space for a magnifier isn't the only reason.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What??

You can drop the mag on the Scorpion with your trigger finger, you don't have to use your off hand like a traditional paddle release.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought it was moved forward to minimize the outside of the optic from obscuring targets more. The closer an object is to your eye, the more of your visual area it will take up, no?
View Quote

so the original concept was that these optics would be used like a heads up display. all of your targets would be inside the optic. you just need to move the dot to the target. and if you keep both eyes open, you don't have any blind spots.

the reality is, it doesn't make any real difference. the optic is just glass. you can use it where ever you want. i just wanted to let the OP know that there is nothing wrong with moving it back to the eye. i've noticed a trend among the younger generation that they seem to think red dots are a new technology. they are not. if you go back and take a look at all the rifle trials the military was doing in the 80's and 90s', you will see all the rifles with fixed red dots right at the rear sight position. some of them didn't even have back up sights. just a red dot at the rear of the rifle. at that time we didn't have compact night vision or thermos so it was thought the rifle would only ever have the red dot mounted. they did testing to figure out where to mount the dot. it was decided that putting it right at the eye produced the fastest shots. fast forward 30 years and we now have night vision, thermos, mags, buis, etc. so the red dot gets pushed forward to make room for everything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its superior in my opinion.  

Its also easier for my wife and daughter to change mags with the EVO's setup.

Obligatory:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/5e/5ed8203b5d448035b98e7972a9ab35086ace35ff5c3cd170b4395242b20162ae.jpg
View Quote

and you got banned for being a retread.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

so the original concept was that these optics would be used like a heads up display. all of your targets would be inside the optic. you just need to move the dot to the target. and if you keep both eyes open, you don't have any blind spots.

the reality is, it doesn't make any real difference. the optic is just glass. you can use it where ever you want. i just wanted to let the OP know that there is nothing wrong with moving it back to the eye. i've noticed a trend among the younger generation that they seem to think red dots are a new technology. they are not. if you go back and take a look at all the rifle trials the military was doing in the 80's and 90s', you will see all the rifles with fixed red dots right at the rear sight position. some of them didn't even have back up sights. just a red dot at the rear of the rifle. at that time we didn't have compact night vision or thermos so it was thought the rifle would only ever have the red dot mounted. they did testing to figure out where to mount the dot. it was decided that putting it right at the eye produced the fastest shots. fast forward 30 years and we now have night vision, thermos, mags, buis, etc. so the red dot gets pushed forward to make room for everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How young do you think I am? :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its superior in my opinion.  

Its also easier for my wife and daughter to change mags with the EVO's setup.

Obligatory:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/5e/5ed8203b5d448035b98e7972a9ab35086ace35ff5c3cd170b4395242b20162ae.jpg

Not exactly shocking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can drop the mag on the Scorpion with your trigger finger, you don't have to use your off hand like a traditional paddle release.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What??

What??? You can drop the mag with your trigger finger on the mpx too
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What??

That was his point
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Doesnt it require you to release the paddle though? Unless you can do some type of maneuver like the tavor to do quick reloads
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Doesnt it require you to release the paddle though? Unless you can do some type of maneuver like the tavor to do quick reloads
View Quote

The "paddle" on the Evo is within reach of the trigger finger, just push it forward.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The "paddle" on the Evo is within reach of the trigger finger, just push it forward.

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2012/05/cz-scorpion-evo-3-a1-9mm-d.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2012/05/cz-scorpion-evo-3-a1-9mm-d.jpg

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Having not handled one I didn't know and thought it you had to use your offhand to press the paddle to release the mag. Didn't know you could reach it with your trigger finger
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why they removed the little paddles in later revisions?  Mine doesn't have them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wonder why they removed the little paddles in later revisions?  Mine doesn't have them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen any without, do you have a picture of a different one
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Mine.  B725XXX serial.  Its a March 2015 production.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Also, to be clear, using your finger to drop the mag on the EVO doesn't feel very natural. Can't think of a word other than natural. Too early. Maybe it has to do with how familiar I am with the AR that makes it feel awkward. That's the word I'm looking for. Dropping the mag with your finger on the EVO at that angle is awkward.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also, to be clear, using your finger to drop the mag on the EVO doesn't feel very natural. Can't think of a word other than natural. Too early. Maybe it has to do with how familiar I am with the AR that makes it feel awkward. That's the word I'm looking for. Dropping the mag with your finger on the EVO at that angle is awkward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It gets better the more you get use to it for sure but still nowhere near as natural as an AR. It's just getting used to the trigger finger forward push compared to side press on mag button... which is naturally easiest.

Quoted:
I think the magazine release is superior on the EVO.  And not just superior against the MPX, but superior to pretty much any rifle Ive ever fired.

I don't think it would be possible to design a release that is more natural than the EVO's.

Any rifle ever? Seriously? My common AR and Scar 17 are FAR more natural than any of the EVO's methods when ejecting mags. You barely have to think about it and the mags are jumping out of those guns. I think you may be are overly bias toward the EVO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/iG8BtVf.jpg?1

View Quote

Oh wow, that's weird.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine is brand new 2015 production and doesn't have them either .... Just picked it up 2 days ago from kygunco
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone have the paddle on their model?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine is late February 2015 production with a B710xxx and I have the tabs on my release.

As far as using my trigger finger to push and release the mags? Kind of irrelevant to me since my mags don't drop free. I'm better off hitting the release with my left hand as I pull the mag.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mine is late February 2015 production with a B710xxx and I have the tabs on my release.

As far as using my trigger finger to push and release the mags? Kind of irrelevant to me since my mags don't drop free. I'm better off hitting the release with my left hand as I pull the mag.

View Quote

Just polish the mold marks or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll look into that but think it's more then that on my gun. They drop fine when bolt is locked back but on last round hold open it appears the bolt/catch is applying pressure on the mag not letting it drop free. I haven't had time to really dive into it but that's what it seem to be on initial inspection.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll look into that but think it's more then that on my gun. They drop fine when bolt is locked back but on last round hold open it appears the bolt/catch is applying pressure on the mag not letting it drop free. I haven't had time to really dive into it but that's what it seem to be on initial inspection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm having the same issue but haven't polished up my mags yet.

I'll let ya know if I can get it working.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Just looked through your instagram, you should post more photos of the guns on here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just looked through your instagram, you should post more photos of the guns on here.
View Quote

I post a lot in the high quality ar15 thread
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks to the OP for a nice bit of information.
I am trying to decide what I want to do:
1 MPX-- up side is it is a good quality SIG, down is it does not take Glock Mags.
2 Angstadt Arms UDP-9 -- Up side it takes Glock Mags, Down is a new Mfg. and not out yet.
3.Ar 15 carbine -- Up side works well, Down is I do not plan to go to war soon and I would have to inventory another ammo
What I already know:
Evo is not for me! I have had two chances to buy at sub $775 and passed on both, Cant get past the plastic and the mag release
can cause accidental mag drops to easily
Kel Tech Sub 2000 is still a maybe-- Glock mags--YEP! I am a Glockholic!!  So if I love the polymer composite of the Glock and call the EVo
plastic--It is plastic!!
I am also trying  to keep the different number of calibers to a Minimum so as to  not have a Stress Fire mix up. Like years ago when I took my new 308 to the range
to check out and because I was in a hurry, got there with 30-06 ammo. Glad I did not need it to fight!!
So , Yes I am inventorying only 9MM, 22lr and 20ga. right now. Keep in mind my wife can also shoot all that, and we have commonality of ammo when we travel.
Leaning hard toward the Angstadt. No Evo for me!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

1 MPX-- up side is it is a good quality SIG, down is it does not take Glock Mags.

2 Angstadt Arms UDP-9 -- Up side it takes Glock Mags, Down is a new Mfg. and not out yet.

3.Ar 15 carbine -- Up side works well, Down is I do not plan to go to war soon and I would have to inventory another ammo

What I already know:

Evo is not for me! I have had two chances to buy at sub $775 and passed on both, Cant get past the plastic and the mag release

Kel Tech Sub 2000 is still a maybe-- Glock mags--YEP! I am a Glockholic!!  So if I love the polymer composite of the Glock and call the EVo

plastic--It is plastic!!

I am also trying  to keep the different number of calibers to a Minimum so as to  not have a Stress Fire mix up. Like years ago when I took my new 308 to the range

to check out and because I was in a hurry, got there with 30-06 ammo. Glad I did not need it to fight!!

So , Yes I am inventorying only 9MM, 22lr and 20ga. right now. Keep in mind my wife can also shoot all that, and we have commonality of ammo when we travel.

View Quote

Everything you listed is blowback operated except the Sig. The Sig is gas operated. I haven't fired the Sig but I have fired gas operated AR15s in pistol calibers and they are much smoother and lighter in recoil than blowback.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What I already know:
plastic--It is plastic!!
View Quote

This sounds like what you need.
http://www.quartercircle10.com/product/glock-small-frame-lower/

Build a 9mm AR using Glock mags. I have a QC10 AR with Colt mags (don't own any Glocks) and it's awesome. You can build it much cheaper then you can get a MPX for. Mags are cheap (unlike the $70 SIG mags). I have owned a Kel-Tec sub 2000. It was interesting but I consider it a novelty and it's accuracy was just so so at best. Ergonomics on it also suck (IMO)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What I already know:
plastic--It is plastic!!
View Quote

Also consider the Tresna Defense JAG9 - blowback, but takes Glock mags. Price is decent, too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Also consider the Tresna Defense JAG9 - blowback, but takes Glock mags. Price is decent, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What I already know:

plastic--It is plastic!!

Tap, none of the ones you mentioned are proven SMG's with law enforcement and government contracts, except the CZ.  I dont consider a QC10 or DDLES gun to be the equivalent of the old Colt SMG.

To respond to a few of your points...

Plastic is plastic.  The Glock plastic is no better or worse than the CZ plastic.  Or S&W plastic.  Or Steyr plastic.  Or Sig plastic...

Also, no one is inadvertently bumping the CZ mag release.  Its well positioned and well tensioned.  Thats a non-issue.

Finally, the Keltec, while nifty, isnt in the same class as the Sig, CZ or AR 9mm.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, I thank you all for some input.
JP-- I do not think the Recoil is enough to sweat, from a 9MM. Yet, I do know the MPX is safer!
Skull- The Angstadt is better and less $$ than I can build a QC10 comparable. So I am hopeful that is proves out.
T Leg-- Plastic is Plastic NOT Polymer. Not knocking the Evo, it is just not for me. I do not like the feel, or look or much about it. That is just me.!!!
I have looked at the TNW ASP, Just Right, and others as well. Those still in the running are what I think will suite me.
Today I decided to top whatever off with a Leupold Prism optic, Yep! I have an astigmatism.
Guess I am overboard with the Streamline and Simplify or KISS! I can tell you I have felt that at times I have qualified for the last S ( stupid).
Yet that is so much of why I want to use the Glock mags, that I have many of. I can see grabbing my new MPX and Glock mags-- that would be one of those times. STUPID!
Right now I see getting the Angstadt pistol ( later to be SBR'ed) and also a KelTec 2000--had one and liked it ! Also can be dressed up with Red Lion and other extras.
Then lets hope all I use these for is fun.
Thanks again for the input, I am still on the fence with some of this, and might wake up tomorrow with new thoughts. So your input is helpful,
BUT lets not hijack the thread. The OP was so kind to share with us.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What about the rest of us that shoot matches and such?
You don't win matches by stripping mags with your offhand.

There's nothing new about a paddle style release, but the EVO improves on the paddle in that it's easier to actuate with your firing finger, and if you buff the witness lines on your mags they will drop free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The average shooter is not dumping mags on the ground.

They are taking the empty mag by hand and replacing it with a new one.

What about the rest of us that shoot matches and such?
You don't win matches by stripping mags with your offhand.

There's nothing new about a paddle style release, but the EVO improves on the paddle in that it's easier to actuate with your firing finger, and if you buff the witness lines on your mags they will drop free.

Evo wasn't designed for that either.

It was designed with the current Military training "trend" of keeping your empty/half empty magazines.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/iG8BtVf.jpg?1

View Quote

Mine is B708XXX and has the paddles.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What I already know:
plastic--It is plastic!!
View Quote

If whatever you buy has to take Glock mags, you are pretty much screwed from the start.  The S2K is a range toy and, IMHO, the 9mm ARs are dinosaurs that were an afterthought modification to begin with.

EDIT:  Note that I think the S2k is very fun range toy, and the 9mm AR's are as well.  I've owned both and would certainly own one as an addition to a nice, well made primary PCC.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top